Can I use iron details on my car seat?

ADS

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
I would call Britax. I remember reading on another board that they approved of embroidery on a denim Husky cover, but I don't know if iron-ons would be any different.

Shelsy

I am wondering the same thing. If anyone finds out, please post. I'd like to embroider or iron-on something onto ONYX regent covers, to differentiate/decorate for my ID twins.

Suzibeck

Joolsplus3 got the OK from Britax to do embroidery on her Husky.

I put an iron on patch over a hole in my MA cover, it sure beat $50 for a new cover! I cannot fathom how that would interfere with the safety of the seat. But, I did not call Britax to find out if it was OK.

Simplysomething

I would call Britax.

That's a good idea. I think the OP should call Sunshine Kids, since it's for her Radian. lol

And when you do call, let us know!

Would be cool if we could do that with the crap seats...(instead of the poop black and brown scenera, it'd be the poop black/brown scenera..with...um..firetrucks. or something).

remken

Here is the e-mail I sent

I was wondering if it would be possible to put on some little details to dress up his granite car seat cover, by either ironing them or seweing them on.

and the answer that Russ sent back.

Allison,

I would not suggest iron-on decals. Because the iron temperature may too hot for the fabric and it could cause damage.

Please understand that because of liability, we cannot suggest or allow any modification to the seat, in any way.

That said, if you decide on your own to stitch on some simple designs to the cover, I don’t foresee that you would be putting your son at an increased risk for injury.

(short question, long answer – but such is the nature of car seats!!)

I hope this helps.

So basically what I think he is saying is definately no to the iron on stuff. But to sew something on would be my choice.

remken

So now I need to decide if I want to add anything to his since it might void the warranty. I think? But I want a cool looking seat for him, and like Russ said it shouldn't effect the seat.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Britax also told me that sewn on patches were OK so long as it doesn't interfer with harness -- iron on was a no go....

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
That's a good idea. I think the OP should call Sunshine Kids, since it's for her Radian. lol

:ROTFLMAO: Thank you!! I didn't even notice until this morning that I'd written that. I read "this would be for his..." and saw the picture in her signature of the Regent and automatically thought Britax.

I plead sleep deprivation!

Starlight

Senior Community Member
As far as liability, Russ has just given you an opening. If you decide to modify your seat (by sewing, I wouldn't do iron on), I would most certainly hang on to that email, and on the off chance it does effect your seats usage, you should be okay from a legal standpoint.

I'm not a lawyer, of course, but seriously, I can't believe he'd say that.

Splash

Well embroidery on the cover is not going to affect the seat's performance at all, ever. Only in a sci-fi movie or alternate universe are a few extra threads going to do anything. It might void the warranty on the COVER, with good reason, but not on the SEAT. If your cover starts falling apart, you're probably SOL, which is understandable. But if your SEAT breaks, you're still going to be okay.
I'd sew some patches on, a few here and there, far from the harness. And of course nothing ON the harness.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
What??? You mean I can't embroider flowers on to the harness??? I wanted pretty flowers to match my pretty aftermarket one-size-fits-all (including the Regent!) cover!!!

But my brother, he's a pilot, and he said it was okay!!!!

Wah!!!!!!

Loves2sing

What??? You mean I can't embroider flowers on to the harness??? I wanted pretty flowers to match my pretty aftermarket one-size-fits-all (including the Regent!) cover!!!

But my brother, he's a pilot, and he said it was okay!!!!

Wah!!!!!!

:ROTFLMAO:
You are awesome!
I was thinking before I saw what Sunshine Kids replied that I wouldn't iron something on, but sewing a patch on should be okay. How is it any different from getting a nice sticky stain from pop, or juice? Safety wise I mean... not looks. You wouldn't be cutting the fabric underneath, but you would be just adding something on top. I would definatley check with an experienced tech before going ahead, but you did basically get an okay from Sunshine kids imo.

I used some embroidered decals/patches to jazz up our Coastal Radian when I bought it for DD, with a couple of butterflies and her first initial... she loves it! I never thought to check with SK to see if it was ok; sticking on a few patches didn't seem like a big deal at the time... I didn't iron anything on, but many of them come with a pretty strong adhesive already... I just stuck them on, and as they have started to lift away at the edges over time, I "tacked" them down with just a stitch or two in the necessary places. I'd probably save myself a little time if I'd just go stitch each one down completely, but... Call me lazy. :eek:

BTW, I did it by hand with one of those curvy U-shaped needles, and normal thread. I'm not much of a seamstress...

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I think I might do that for my ds's Radian. He has Granite, and doesn't complain, but still. It would be more fun with something on it.

I was thinking that something sticky would do the trick, and tacking it down here and there would work great.

MsFacetious

Julie, I remember seeing yours now. That's so cool. Too bad I can't sew and I have no friends that can embroider. Lol. I would just be getting patches and sewing them on. Although those adhesive ones sound even better!!! Lol. They would probably stick pretty good to the furry part of the Regent cover.

Hmmmm....

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
Julie, I remember seeing yours now. That's so cool. Too bad I can't sew and I have no friends that can embroider. Lol. I would just be getting patches and sewing them on. Although those adhesive ones sound even better!!! Lol. They would probably stick pretty good to the furry part of the Regent cover.

Hmmmm....

I can sew and I have an embroidery machine. I would do it for you. Where do you live? Probably nowhere near me (NH), but I thought I'd offer anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC