Most fuel efficient small car that can fit 3 kids?

dimsumdaddy

In the market to buy a used car that will be a daily commuter.

Looking for something small and compact with great mpg (30+ mixed) and reliability that can still fit 3 kids in the car with carseat/boosters.

I'm considering the Prius, but I'm not sure how well 3 across works in it.
The Mazda5 looks great but the fuel econ is just so-so and it's still a little "new" for the budget.

Any suggestions and personal experiences?

I do not care about luxury, nav, or sunroof, etc. Thanks!

ADS

spiderangs

In the market to buy a used car that will be a daily commuter.

Looking for something small and compact with great mpg (30+ mixed) and reliability that can still fit 3 kids in the car with carseat/boosters.

I'm considering the Prius, but I'm not sure how well 3 across works in it.
The Mazda5 looks great but the fuel econ is just so-so and it's still a little "new" for the budget.

Any suggestions and personal experiences?

I do not care about luxury, nav, or sunroof, etc. Thanks!

not sure about the age on 3 kids..

my friend has prius.. he managed to get two radian FF outboard and roundabout (small one up to 40) RF in the middle.. tight puzzle. I am pretty sure there has other car seats that is smaller like Roundabout..

as for booster with seat belt, I have no idea. He never try that.

RYLANSMOM

I test drove a Ford fusion awhile back and fell in love. The backseat was pretty big o thought. Flat and long...wide..nice for car seats. I didn't try 3 since I only had my son but it was easy to install. It doesn't quite get 30 mpg but still good. Also they make the fusion as a hybrid which could get better mpg. I currently own a Ford escape and the seat to the fusion was much bigger.

TXAggieTech

We are looking at either a VW Jetta Diesel or a Chevy Cruz. Both seem to be about the same size with plenty of room in the back with front passengers comfortable.

urchin_grey

I've been looking at diesel engine Jettas myself. They aren't so easy to find, but the back seat is roomy enough and they generally get 45+ MPG.

sirrahn

We have had a 2010 Prius for about a month. I haven't actually installed any car seats in it yet though. I've been letting my almost 6 yr old use a Turbo rather than installing her spare Chase.

I think it's probably wide enough for a 3 across especially with Radians....the backseat is surprisingly roomy, but the seatbelts are a PITB to buckle with boosters in a tight squeeze. The buckle stalks are short and floppy and even I struggle with them a bit. I'm sure if the kids rode in it more, and we had more practice, it would get easier, but just an FYI. Love the car though and thankfully it's fairly rare that we need to squeeze 3 in the back.

Marinesfamily5

really depends on how big your kiddo's are, and are you willing to buy new carseats.(for all 3) If the kid's in radians are near outgrowing them etc.
Radians are great for 3 across though so you should be good there.

Have you looked at any Subaru's? Those are pretty good.
Volvo diesel / or VW diesel will be uber safe yet still gas $ friendly.

vamom

I have an 07 prius. I have done several three across. Ds has a husky (britax regent) that is a hog. I have it in the center and can put a radian on each side. I have done severel convertables and booster combos. I can also put boosters beside the husky, but it is rough to buckle. I had the husky outboard this week and had a dickens of a time getting under the husky to buckle the turbo, lol.

I only have 1 kid of my own, but haul a few here and there. I love my prius. On one vacation I stuffed my disable granny, mom, ds in his husky, the dog, myself, and a week worth of vacation gear (including granny's potty chair) into the prius. It was a 9 hour drive each way.

I average 44.8 mpg here in the mountains. When I drive to the beach I can get 55 mpg if I watch my driving.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
My recommendation depends on how often you'll be transporting kids. If it's pretty frequent (like, twice a week or more) I think the Mazda 5 is worth the extra gas mileage. That's exactly why I bought it, in fact!

If you're transporting kids less than once a week or so, a smaller car should be fine. My dh has an '01 VW Golf TDI (diesel), which is what I was driving to save gas before I got the Mazda 5. It's certainly do-able to fit 3-across, but it's not convenient. The Mazda 5 was the perfect compromise for me, between fitting all of us comfortably and still getting decent gas mileage.

What's your price range?

Lizzy

we're buying a Kia Soul.. it's small and does 30mpg.. we're really liking the price tag and the 100.000 - 10 year warranty on it as well. not sure if that's enough mpg for you though?

I've not tried 3 across.. but it appeared to be quite big inside.. have you looked into the Kia Soul at all? I like that it's more of a crossover, but yet still compact. it's shape makes it more practical - lots of leg and head room :) it's a great second commute car imo... although I do wish it would do more mpg :p but what we save on gas we would spend more on price on other cars.. and like I said, this one was the roomiest..

I"d love a mazda 5 though... but mpg were more important to us.. we couldn't go below 30mpg highway. ( I believe it does 26 city)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC