Cops and CPSTs

Should cops have to take a CPST course?

• Total voters

Loves2sing

Do you think that it should be mandatory, for traffic cops at the very least, to take a Car seat tech course so that they can know what they are seeing when they pull parents over?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
My experience is that the techs that generate the most complaints from parents are often among those that are forced to be techs by their employer, especially if they receive no extra compensation.

I voted no, on the premise that it seems a bit of overkill when there are a few basic red flags they can be trained to look for rather than to have to go through the entire CPST curriculum. If think perhaps a several-hour, condensed passenger restraint 101 course would be a good option, though.

Lys

Senior Community Member
My entire class of techs were all cops. Some city and some county deputys.
They all said that even though it was a PITB to take an entire week out of their time, they were glad they did because they KNEW what to look for when pulling over a vehicle.

CRS

Senior Community Member
I voted Yes. Maybe not the CPST course specifically but some (probably shorter, therefore less tedious for those who don't want to be there) course where they can learn more and have to sit a test or something?

jn__

I voted no, because while I agree that they should be taught what to look for; we don't need a bunch of people who retained 5% of the knowledge, 90% of that wrongly, bossing us around on the side of the road. Can you imagine being forced by a cop to "fix" something that's not broken and actually making it more dangerous? Or getting a ticket for something that's perfectly acceptable?

I guess I don't have much faith in the brains of the average human... people who want to be cps techs, those are the ones I want to see. FWIW the only techs in my area are policemen, and they don't do it right (they don't teach you to install the seat they just rip it out and redo it, and it wasn't in as good as I got it) I wasn't impressed at all.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I voted yes, but I also don't think they should have to take the full course. It should be a very basic one day course so they know what to look for and where to send parents to get trained professional help specific to their misuse issue... just to add: I don't think they should get a title (CPST) at the end of this course, I just want to see them take a course so they know to send the parent to a trained professional & what they are sending that parent for. The "ticket" should be an appointment with a trained professional to learn how to use/install their seat correctly.

There is so much more to know than what you are taught at the course that really you need to be getting advice from someone who has been in the field for awhile and kept up to date on current methods/research.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Ok, cops wife and CPST here... LOL talk about a combo for this vote! LOL

I voted NO i would LOVE for my husband (as my husband) to be FORCED to take the course so he's knows i'm not just a car seat nut but i actully Know what i'm talking about, but as a COP NO i don't think it's good to have 'techs' that don't want to be techs.

chelle80

I voted yes. Especially around here, our stupid cops are telling people it is ok to use a car seat from a second hand store, to turn a 10m old FF, and to let a 4yo ride in a backless booster with just a lep belt. And supposedly they have a tech employed there. :mad:

LuvBug

My experience is that the techs that generate the most complaints from parents are often among those that are forced to be techs by their employer, especially if they receive no extra compensation.

^ This is why I voted no. I do not think they should HAVE to, but they SHOULD be offered and encouraged to take the training if they want, and the department should accommodate them. I do think the basic red flags should be taught to be able to spot misuse and such.

SPJ&E

I voted yes, but I agree with the others that it shouldn't have to be the "full" course so they can be labeled CPST's. I think they should have the basic information and know the main, important things to look for.

So many parents trust a cops' advice simply because that person is a cop. That wouldn't be so bad if all of them actually knew what they were talking about and would give out the correct information (I'm not saying that none do, but most really don't).

For example...my dad is a State Trooper and really knows nothing about carseats. He'll pull someone over and ticket them in a heartbeat if he sees an unrestrained child, but as far as installing carseats and using them correctly, he has no idea. Yes, he's a State Trooper, but I would not trust him to install my sons' seats or give me carseat advice.

So yeah...I think they should have to take a general information course and be tested on the info (and pass) so they at least give our correct, safe information and can send people to the right places to get their seats installed/checked.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
ITA!

They also get complaints from me :rolleyes: but, that's mostly because what they're taught isn't good enough -- when the instructors settle for bare minimum, then the cops settle for even less.... I believe they should get the training (because ignorance is NOT bliss), but the training should impress *safest* practice more than I've seen.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I voted yes. Most of our police don't know what they are looking for. One pulled over a mom, not sure for what, and told her that her 6 month old was too big to RF. I asked if maybe, the policeman meant too big to RF in the infant seat, and she said no, the policeman said that she needed to FF her 6 month old. :eek:

skaterbabs

I agree with Darren. But at the same time, I believe cops should get a short course that explains the law, then explains what "LEGAL MINIMUM" means, lays down Best Practice as the "new" minimum, and points out common mistakes they can correct on the side of the road - like FF infant seats or too loose straps, ect.

Splash

No. I think they should all be required to wear badges that say, "I know nothing about car seats. Don't ask me."

Basic child safety, yes. It can be incorporated rather easily. Something along the lines of cops being required to know CPR, but in no way being required to know open heart surgery, ya know? Get THE BASICS covered (and the basics including referring someone to the right person for the job) and leave it at that.

scatterbunny

I voted "yes", but I don't think cops should have to take the full CPST course. They need to take a course designed to teach them what to look for as far as violations of the child restraint laws, and what are appropriate choices for children of different ages/sizes. How are they supposed to enforce the law if they have no knowledge of CPS at all?

cantech

Our police officers have enough on their plates as it is. They do need to be educated as to the basics and they should have resources to refer people to when they identify potential problems. And they should also be taught to not offer advice unless they have taken a tech course.

I've recently had the opportunity to conduct clinics with the RCMP. When the RCMP are involved many discussions center around what is legal rather than what is likely to be safest, which is unbelievably frustrating to me!

Belinda

Loves2sing

I guess i should have phrased my question better, because I wasn't thinking that they should take a full course and be certified. I think they should have it as a class included in their initial training. A class taught by a tech, that trains other techs, but giving them the statistics, and the basics of how to easily identify a misused car seat, or a child that does not fit their carseat. i don't want them running around as techs, but I would at least like to see them restrain their children properly. I have a few different friends who are cops, and have no idea what they are doing when it comes to carseats with their own children. The frustration of these friends with their own kids was what led to this poll in the first place.:rolleyes:

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
I put no.

I trained with cops and they were absolutely horrible. They didn't want to be there, didn't care about car seats, only went b/c they were forced to or were going to be subjected to some type of temporary demotion if they didn't take the class.

It was just not a great way to get CPSTs. They're not as "anal" as the parent/citizen CPSTs. The instructor boasts about the amount of police that are trained in our area. I felt like laughing out loud and saying "why b/c YOU forced them to come here or you were going to put them on light duty if they didn't?"

Maybe i'm still bitter b/c i paid full price and they didn't pay squat b/c they were forced to come.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC