Can we talk about my CCO and a possible replacement?

kidzndogz

I've got an orange CCO. I love it. It's adorable, it's lightweight, and it fits Liam like a glove. It seriously looks like it was made for him when he sits in it.

But the install scares me. I've just been using it because I try to take comfort in the fact that it's been crash tested despite its tippiness and that seats are SUPPOSED to cocoon...but I just can't. I've got an '05 CR-V.

After fighting with it for like a half hour I managed to get an install that took more than me touching it with my finger (or sitting Liam in it hard....I kind of chuck him into his seats 'cuz he's heavy :whistle:) to flip it. But it still loosened all the time. I tighten it with each use. Doesn't matter if it's Euro routing or not. The harness also must loosen slightly because I'm always tightening it yet I never loosen it. I think it's just the fact that the seat itself loosens, changes the angle, which results in him sitting in it differently. Anyway, we've almost been smashed to smithereens by a semi twice (I hate truckers) and I can't deal with worrying about this damn seat.

Shaun has a BLVD70 in his car, and it's just too big. He's got a Volvo S70. He doesn't care but I dunno, it's just huge and blocks his back window and he scares the crap out of me when he drives so the fact that it blocks his view makes me nervous. :p I put it in my car, and it is fine and I like it outside of the @#(*&@#*@#& twisty straps.

I put the KF back in his car, but Liam is 2-3 pounds away from the 22lb weight limit.

The CCO doesn't install safely in his car (in my opinion). Yes, it gets rock solid side to side. But then you touch the back and it flips and then is looser than a hooker. It's worse than in my car. The recline block is a joke and towels/noodles don't do anything. So it's out.

So. Put the CCO back in my car and stress? My gut really tells me this seat just isn't safe in either of our cars despite it meeting install standards. Keep the BLVD70 in mine and get something else for his? It would have to be way way low, he already whacks his head on the ceiling when putting Liam in the BLVD70. So what? I will not use a Radian or a Dorel seat.

I need to either talk it out with the CCO and relieve my fears or get suggestions on something else. Oh and my mom has a CCO in her car and that scares me too although it seems to be staying pretty tight in there. Effing CCO needs a tether and none of this would be an issue.

I need to talk. lol.

ADS

kidzndogz

Oh and I've tried all the tricks. Recline block. Towels. Noodles. Reclining the seat before, during, after. Euro routing. Non-Euro routing. LATCH outboard (which I don't want him outboard anyway so even if I got a good install I wouldn't use it). It's just too rounded and slippery on the bottom. I installed the KF baseless and it doesn't cocoon the same way the CCO does.

kidzndogz

I was thinking that, but I've never seen one or played with one IRL. I'd probably go with the TFP for the rebound action...are they low profile? Take up a lot of room front to back? The Britax was a tight fit and uh, those fit in some small backseats. My mom's InfinitiFX is a joke for car seats. The CCO barely fits...the front seats are scooted way up to accomodate (dammit, I've spent like 20 seconds trying to spell that word right and the red squiggly line won't go away) it. I figure an old style MA (which I have) is gonna be the only seat that will fit RFing in it for her car.

But dammit, I like my CCO. I don't want to get rid of it. :( I just hate the damn install.

vamom

It has been a long time (ds is 8 now:eek:) But I loved his truimph. I had the model before the non rethreading straps, but I just loved the way it fit him and so did he. My ex is 6'2 and I drove a rodeo and it was never a problem with space.

urchin_grey

I was going to say True Fit as well. Its far from tiny though. If you need something really small, then maybe a Titan?

honeydew

What about the old Roundabout, with the 40 lb FF limit? It's short, but so is the CCO. BLVD 70 for your car and the RA for Shaun's.

jjordan

I was thinking that, but I've never seen one or played with one IRL. I'd probably go with the TFP for the rebound action...are they low profile? Take up a lot of room front to back? The Britax was a tight fit and uh, those fit in some small backseats. My mom's InfinitiFX is a joke for car seats. The CCO barely fits...the front seats are scooted way up to accomodate (dammit, I've spent like 20 seconds trying to spell that word right and the red squiggly line won't go away) it. I figure an old style MA (which I have) is gonna be the only seat that will fit RFing in it for her car.

But dammit, I like my CCO. I don't want to get rid of it. :( I just hate the damn install.

accommodate.

I always get the squiggly line with that one too. :)

I agree that a Titan might be worth a try. Good luck!

Dillipop

When you get the squiggly line, right click on it and it will give you correctly spelled replacements.

About the seat, I agree on the CCO tippiness. In my elantra, it is fine center, but outboard, I wasn't happy with it. I took it out of commission and put my RA50 in it's space. It is so rock solid compared to the CCO.

I'd try the EFTA in Shaun's car. It is really wide, but fits in small places front to back. The True Fit is also wide, but it seems to install in small places as well. I have the Premier and am really happy with it so far.

BananaBoat

TFP. It fits in freaking Foresters, so it'll fit in other tight spots, I promise. It's low profile, but is a deep seat. It takes up less room that the KF front-back.

Pixels

In my car, the EFTA doesn't fit front to back without moving up the front seat, and the TF touches the front seat. The TFP takes up an inch or two more than the TF. The CCO has about 6 inches of room before touching.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I have absolutely zero issue with the "tippiness" of the Coccoro as long as it doesn't happen through normal use. I could tip mine with one finger, too, if I tried, but it never ONCE happened on its own, and that was with nearly two years of everyday use.

However, if yours loosens on every trip, then that's obviously not acceptable.

I would also try a True Fit. It's low-profile and your best bet for ERF if the Radian and Complete Air are out.

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
I used to have an '03 crv. The cco was perfect in the middle, have you tried it there? I also had a rf fpsvd which is like the old MAs. If the old ones fit I know the new ones will too. The myride also fit and I think the triumph 65 will too.

kidzndogz

I'd try the EFTA in Shaun's car. It is really wide, but fits in small places front to back. The True Fit is also wide, but it seems to install in small places as well. I have the Premier and am really happy with it so far.

Yeah I'm not worried about width since we only have one kid. I was considering the Premier before for his car...I think I'll try one at the store.

TFP. It fits in freaking Foresters, so it'll fit in other tight spots, I promise. It's low profile, but is a deep seat. It takes up less room that the KF front-back.

And the KF fits fine in his car so that's good to know the TFP will.

according to combi's fb, there will be a swedish tether on the july release of the new cco... and this different tether will be available for purchase for current ccos. might help in s's car!

I wonder what's so different about it? It's all i can do to not just freaking tether the stupid thing right now. I last heard that it wasn't retroactive. Even so....July is a long time from now. He'll be out of the KF before that I'm sure. 2lbs in 6 months? Yeah probably.

I have absolutely zero issue with the "tippiness" of the Coccoro as long as it doesn't happen through normal use. I could tip mine with one finger, too, if I tried, but it never ONCE happened on its own, and that was with nearly two years of everyday use.

However, if yours loosens on every trip, then that's obviously not acceptable.

I would also try a True Fit. It's low-profile and your best bet for ERF if the Radian and Complete Air are out.

It tips when I plop him into it, and also I whack it a lot when I reach back there to hand him toys and it will fly forward. And it just loosens anyway, which I think is because the belt isn't locked due to the lock offs. But even if I locked it it would still be loose because my belt goes into the ceiling and always leaves a bit of extra slack. That's why I love seats with lock offs for my center rear seat.

I used to have an '03 crv. The cco was perfect in the middle, have you tried it there? I also had a rf fpsvd which is like the old MAs. If the old ones fit I know the new ones will too. The myride also fit and I think the triumph 65 will too.

See, the CCO fits fine in my car, but it loosens. And it took forever to get an install that wasn't too tippy for my liking. I don't have issues with other seats fitting in my car...it's in my SO's Volvo that high profile seats block his rear window. I wanted to put the CCO in his car but it doesn't install there at all.

kidzndogz

Jennie, can you give me a hand with my CCO when you get here? I need someone else who is familiar with them to tell me if my install is similar or not.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC