My Little Parrot

amy919

Kaylie has a friend in pre-k that is just about her size - tiny. K's about 35 pounds and average height, all legs. Anyway, Kari and her mom were parked next to us yesterday and her mom opens up the back door, Kari jumps in and her mom closes the door. Now I'm watching all of this becuase she is parked so close to me that I can't get K in the car until she moves. I'm standing there desperately trying to bite my tongue. I don't know her mom well and she seems very uppity and opinionated. I didn't think she'd be very receptive to my advice:rolleyes: Plus, Kari is 5 and it's not like I had a scale on hand to see what Kari actually weighs, so I couldn't pull the "it's against the law card".

So I'm watching Kari buckle herself in and her mom starts to pull away. She waves to me and I can't bite my tongue anymore. I said "hold on a sec" and she stopped. I nicely mentioned that Kari wasn't finished buckling herself in and that her seatbelt was twisted. She's in a booster, don't know what kind. Some crappy tan all in one thing, I think. Her mom says "oh, that's OK, she'll be done by the time we're out of the parking lot. And she hates the seatbelt anyway. She'll just put it behind her back, so it doesn't matter if it's twisted." I'm speechless for a second when Kaylie pipes up with "she's not safe in that seat anyway. She should have a racer seatbelt and your seatbelt is NOT supposed to go behind your back. But, she's your kid and it's your choice. I hope I see her tomorrow". Now I almost died on the spot. K is obviously a very outspoken child, but this bordered on rude, although her point was valid. The bit about "her child, her choice" comes from me. Kaylie constantly points out people not wearing seatbelts or kids up front, etc. I just tell her she can't save the world and it's their parents choice.

Kari's mom just smiled and said "my she's a precocious one. See you tomorrow" and pulled away (child still not buckled in). She was nice about it, but yikes, I had to have a talk with K on the way home. She's worse than me!

Amy

ADS

mamato2

My kids (now 9 and 5 1/2) have been known to say things like that too! :whistle: So far it is from inside our car though so I don't think anyone has heard them. It is SO HARD for kids to realize that although we can believe and say such things and be correct that it isn't always the best thing to say them out loud to someone!! (Although it seems we SHOULD be able to considering it's a safety issue ) My 5 yr old always wonders why I don't tell people 'what they need to hear' or call the police (which would be all the time near the school!).
Good for your daughter though. She knows what's what!! :thumbsup:
C.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
"she's not safe in that seat anyway. She should have a racer seatbelt and your seatbelt is NOT supposed to go behind your back. But, she's your kid and it's your choice. I hope I see her tomorrow".

I laughed so hard when I read this... my DH came to see what was up! My first thought was, "I wonder if I could train Aiden to do this?".:eek: I know you must have been totally embarrased, but it really is funny.:D

Shelsy

I think everyone handled things perfectly, and like Jenna's Mommy said, it's super that the mom knows how you feel and no confrontation needed!

Thanks for the "racer seatbelt" nominclature - that'll be a hit with my kids.

amy919

Between the racer seatbelt and the Cowmoo cover, I will never get her out of this seat easily. I'm worried about the parkway being discontinued because my plan was to get the Cowmoo one. If they'd just come out with a Cowmoo Regent, my problems would be solved!

Amy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC