Would you FF a 16 month old 20 pounder for a 10 hr trip?

todzwife

But then flip them RFing once at the destination? It's more for convenience on the parent's part and so the LO can see the DVD player.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with ANY FF until 2. I did FF DS at 18 months but that was because I didn't know any better!

Any thoughts?

ADS

jjordan

I would not consider it even for a minute. We've taken our kids on long car trips without a DVD player at all, so I wouldn't consider seeing the DVD as being a compelling reason to flip to FF.

momtotwogirls

Absolutely not. it doesnt even cross my mind for my almost 4 yr old. Although as a parental decision we do use a dvd player and hang it in between the seats on trips longer than about 4 hours.

Angela

Personally, I wouldn't. There are many other things that can entertain a 16 month old, without a DVD player. If that's the only convenience factor. Plus, they'll keep toys with them longer anyway, no stopping to pick up toys from the floor. My main suggestion would be to make lots of stops. We make a 13 hour drive many times during the year and have only just started letting DS watch DVD's on trips.

mamom

I would not, we bought a lightweight mirror at KMart and my little guy not only can see the DVD (the rare times it is on) but also talk to himself. Great solution and much safer in an accident. But of course less safe than without it.

Mama Jo

Nope. Wouldn't even cross my mind.

Besides, it's so much more comfortable for them to sleep in the car if they are rf, and if they're travelling that far, the more the kids sleep, the faster they can get there.

Sarah62008

Senior Community Member
My 2 1/2yr old, 23lb-er can see the DVD player just fine while RF. He RF on the drivers side and the DVD player is on the rear passenger headrest tilted towards him.(of course this is when we have no other passenger in the back seat but him.)

mum2two

NOPE

The chance that the little one will sleep better and longer RF is one reason, but the SAFETY issue is the primary reason.

I don't think a 16 month old will be that entertained by a DVD player, but they might sleep for hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Never for a second. In fact, I'd turn older kids rear facing for safety and comfort on a long trip rather than give a 16 month old too little recline for sleeping and numb bum.

Wendy

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
No. I'd want my child RF if I was to get into an accident at highway speeds.

I'd drive at night while the child slept (swapping adult drivers during the trip so one could rest and ensuring we were well rested before we travelled at night).

If I had to travel during the day, I'd pick up toys like those LeapPad book things, magnetic sketch toys etc. Those are more likely to keep a 16 month old engaged than TV anyway. And I'd have the non-driving adult sit in the back with the baby to read stories, feed snacks, etc.

ETA: okay you said "parent's" so there is only one parent on the trip. In that case, the night driving may be out unless the adult can sleep during the day before the trip. And the 2nd adult in the back is out. So, I'd go for the engaging toys and ensure I nap time during the trip so the child would sleep at least some of the time.

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

StPaulMom

No, absolutely not. But people do this all the time. I just dont understand the reasoning of making a kid LESS safe for a LONG trip? How is it more convenient? If that's the issue, then wouldnt it be more convenient to not put the kid in a seat at all? There's no logic in it.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Never. Can't come up with a compelling reason to make a child *less* safe on a trip that carries *more* risk (miles travelled, speed, driver fatigue.) One of my clients did this with their then-18mo DS and realized how monumentally stupid it was upon their return -- when I saw the seat and was :eek::eek::eek: . Although, that was primarily because the install was *totally* wrong... lol.

Now on an airplane I would FF a child at that age :)twocents:) but not in the car, short of an emergency.

todzwife

Thank you, I'm so glad my "thought process" wasn't off. I just couldn't see the reason to, even if "it's easier to hand him snacks and he can watch the movie with his sister".:thumbsdown:

Kat_Momof3

absolutely not. I might get a soft mirror and try to angle it for baby to watch the dvd, but that's it.

I've taken an 8hr trip with a baby that age... and then 8hrs back... my advice is to try to travel when you can expect baby to sleep... it's so much easier. (and if the adults take turns driving and also take turns sleeping, it's not too bad on the adults.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Not even for a second would I entertain that scenario. In fact, I flipped DD back RF for our 10 hour trip last summer (she'd sleep more comfortably RF).

We have 2 DVD players, and one is on the the RF headrest for DS. He doesn't watch it too much at that age, but he loves his Mickey Mouse clubhouse, and it was worth it for the times that it distracted him. I find it just as easy to hand him snacks RF as I do to DD who's FF (actually easier, as they are less likely to drop and spill them).

leighi123

No way. Because I wouldnt FF an under 3yr old unless they had outgrown every seat RF, and I believe in no TV for under 2's (my ds still isnt allowed to watch TV).

Instead I'd plan on stopping frequently for breaks, try to wear the kid out as much as possible so hopefully they will sleep, and bring lots of kid music, toys and things for entertainment.

ETA: I wouldnt FF my ds for any reason, he fits in almost every rearfacing seat so there is no reason to flip him.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC