Question Graco DuoLogic on VW New Beetle, without isofix?

L

Lorenzo

(I hope this time I'm posting in the right place, sorry if this is not the case)

In my quest for the right seat for my almost 8 week old daughter, I discovered Swedish RF seats and here Adventuredad told me:
I'll point out that DuoLogic is the only seat which will be a great fit for a 7 week old

OK, great. I didn't yet mention that I need a seat that would fit on a 2001 VW New Beetle. Does any of you have any experience of a DuoLogic on a "Bug"? Will my daughter have enough leg room until age four? Will the passenger have enough leg room or we would have to move the passenger seat all the way forward? (I don't even consider installing it behind the driver, as I knew that is also known as the "seat of the dead", but maybe this is just a legend...)

What is the difference between the DuoLogic 1 and the DuoLogic 2, apart from the (remarkable) price difference? Has also the DuoLogic 1 passed the Plus Test? If not, how can it be as secure as the 2?

Ok, now the biggest problem of all: my New Beetle does NOT have isofix any more (don't even ask why, it's a long story). So, I've read that the DuoLogic can also be installed without isofix, but would it provide the same top level of security? I really think it won't. And if it won't, I'm really out of luck and back to the zero-stage of my perilous quest... :(

Thank you all, this forum is great!

Lorenzo

ADS

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Hello,

I am moving your post to the international forum, where those familiar with child safety seats marketed outside the USA are more likely to see your question.

Adventuredad

- DuoLogic will fit in a Beetle with front seat going forward somewhat. It's a compact seat wich is often used by parents in small cars such as Opel Corsa (both 3 and 5 door), VW Polo, Renault Clio, Peugeot 107, etc

- Leg room for your daughter is not really an issue. When she is around 12-18 months her legs will likely touch back of vehicle seat. Children like to sit with bent legs, it's both safe and comfortable. Leg space for children is a common concern among parents since we like to sit with straight legs. As your daughter gets a bit older you will find that she like to sit with bent legs when playing etc.

- DuoLogic 1 and 2 are identical. There is actually a plastic handle which looks different but that's about it. DuoLogic 2 is the newer model although both seats look the same and offer the same safety

- DuoLogic hasn't done the Plus Test since DuoLogic 2 is the newer model. Both seats offer identical safety. On a side note we can say that a seat which has passed the Plus Test is not necessarily safer than another rear facing seat which hasn't passed the test. Some seats have not been tested etc.

I wrote more about the Plus Test here, it might be helpful information

- DuoLogic is approved for installation with Isofix and seat belt. It doesn't use tether straps thanks to the foot brace which is pressed against back of vehicle seat.

L

Lorenzo

Thank you again, AD.

So, other than the Plus Test, you mean that the DuoLogic 1 has passed some other kind of test in the past and therefore it is totally secure? So basically the DuoLogic 2 is nothing but a marketing strategy to make pay consumer 100 euros more?

And, about the isofix issue: have the DuoLogic 1 passed the same test with isofix and with seat-belt installation? Do you have some links to this test?

Thanks again very much.

Lorenzo

Adventuredad

- I would not call DuoLogic a marketing ploy. It's a newer seat which has past the Plus Test.

- DuoLogic is cheaper since it's the previous model.

- DuoLogic is approved ECE R44, with Isofix and seat belt, which is the only European standard we have. It looks identical to DuoLogic 2. There is no difference in safety. It will not go through the Plus Test since DuoLogic 2 is the newer model which performed the Plus Test.

newyorkDOC

FWIW, ISOFIX vs seatbelt is not considered any safer. The safest is however you can get the best install. In Italy I have a TWE (bought from AD) even though I have ISOFIX in our car. My daughter is very tall so we debated btwn TWE and multitech. In the US I have a safety 1st avenue with LATCH and even though my parents' car has LATCH I can get a better install with the seatbelt so that's what we use.

newyorkDOC

Also, I just want to mention that in case you have one (bc they are so popular in Italy where I assume you are located?) that those stroller bassinets that you can use as car seats in Italy are not considered very safe. I'm not sure what you're using now. We used a cabriofix until DD was 1 then switched to TWE as she outgrew cabriofix by height and just barely met the min weight requirement for TWE. but the cabriofix was nice as it snapped onto our stroller frame (bugaboo bee). It also made plane traveling a lot easier since we didn't have to deal with bringing a convertible car seat as well as stroller. We would gate check the bee frame and used her cabriofix on the plane.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC