poor baby

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
i think aleah caught our stomach bug, and now shes not wanting to nurse, and when she does she cant keep it down. im worried about dehydration. what do i need to look out for, and how do i keep her hydrated if shes not keeping anything down? are there any warning signs that i should keep an eyes on? and how long do i wait until she should see her ped? thanks for any advice.

ADS

mamisan

Signs of dehydration are no tears when crying, no wet diapers, lethargy, sunken soft spot, dry or sticky mouth. You can also pinch the skin and if they aren't dehydrated, the skin should fall back in place immediately.

Popsicles sometimes help.

mamisan

Pedialyte makes some freezer pops. We've used those before. You can also freeze breastmilk in ice cube trays and then put them in one of those mesh bags with the handle (have you seen those before?)

We've had really good luck with the gerber liquilytes which isn't a popsicle but it tastes good (we used apple) I think it could probably be frozen to make popsicles but I'm not really sure. Another thing to try is dipping the end of a clean cloth in water or juice and freezing it. Just be careful with juice if she has diarrhea because the sugar can make it worse.

TheRealMacGyver

pedialyte has freezer pops you can get. My Dr told us to give at least an ounce of fluids every hour. This way you will keep them hydrated. I just went through this, so I can relate. Also, the pharmacist recommmended Emetrol (over-counter) for nausea/vomiting. In addition, I had to use tylenol suppositories (fever-all brand) for fever (Not too fun:eek: ) hang in there

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
ive read mixed reviews about pedilyte...is it okay? what gives it an advantage over water (besides the flavor...lol)

mamisan

You lose electrolytes when you vomit or have diarrhea, water doesn't adequately replace them so if you drink too much water you can actually get sicker. In some cases it can actually kill you (usually by drinking too much water too fast) Pedialyte etc replaces the lost electrolytes.

Keep breastfeeding as much as you can (try small but frequent feedings) and add in sips of gerber or pedialyte etc as she'll take them. My son ended up in a hospital for 3 days because of dehydration and he was breast fed too.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
You lose electrolytes when you vomit or have diarrhea, water doesn't adequately replace them so if you drink too much water you can actually get sicker. In some cases it can actually kill you (usually by drinking too much water too fast) Pedialyte etc replaces the lost electrolytes.

Keep breastfeeding as much as you can (try small but frequent feedings) and add in sips of gerber or pedialyte etc as she'll take them. My son ended up in a hospital for 3 days because of dehydration and he was breast fed too.

eek thats scary. how long did it take for him to get that dehydrated? i will defiantely stop at the store and grab some pedialyte and the ice pops

mamisan

It was about 4 years ago so I'm not sure how long he was sick before he was admitted. A few days at least though. If you do think she is getting dehydrated, often they can just get an iv for a few hours at the emergency room and then go home. I'm sorry she is so sick. No fun for baby OR mama!

Laurenc0101

Sorry she is sick. We just went through that a few weeks ago:( Pedialyte worked for us too. I hope she feels better soon!

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
thanks for all of the advice. first i had it then dh has it, now she has it. she woke up a completely differnt child, with throw up on her shirt and just wanting to cudlle without nursing. i was shocked, a little scared too.

skaterbabs

Even if she can't keep it down, breastmilk is still better for her than pedialyte. It may seemas if it's all coming up, but it's absorbed so quickly that she gets the benefits.

Besides, if she's not keeping BM down, the pedialyte won't stay down either.

mamisan

It's true that breastmilk is the best thing for babies but one should never assume that breastmilk alone will prevent dehydration. It may, but it's not a crutch I want all my weight on again. My son was breastfeeding well and still ended up severely dehydrated. It's also not true that pedialyte will always come up if everything else does. My dd was able to keep down the gerber stuff, but nothing else. I don't know why but she did. Definitely don't stop nursing! It really is the best thing she can have right now and it's pretty likely that she won't get dehydrated at all. It's just awful in the meantime waiting for things to get better.

TheRealMacGyver

Another thing I just thought of that may help. My son doesn't like the pedialyte too much, so the doctor saif I could give gatorade. He said it isn't as good, but much better than juice. He also mentioned I could add juice to either if that is what it takes to get him to drink. So really I think the main point is that you get your daughter to drink a little of something as often as you can. Dry diapers are a good indicator that you need to get her to drink more. I also used on of those little medicine suringes (SP?) and just put water in it, and squirt a little at a time in his mouth to get something in him. Dehydration is serious stuff, do whatever you have to to get fluid in her.

CandCfam

I'd forgo anything but breastmilk. Nurse for shorter periods, but more frequently. Once she's able to keep it down longer, you can lengthen the nursing sessions.

LeeLi

Dehydration is certainly a concern for little ones although your DD is older so that helps. I agree nursing as much as possible is best, since breastmilk has electrolytes like pediasure in addition to all the other good stuff. Something to try would be to drink lots of water yourself to keep very well hydrated so that their will be plenty of water in your breastmilk. Short frequent feedings will mean that she's also getting more dilute foremilk instead of rich hindmilk, which might be easier on her tummy. So even if she only nurses a bit, it's worth it. Also, even if the breastmilk, pediasure, or water is mostly coming back up her body is getting some of it so keep trying even if it takes squirting in her mouth as macgiver mentioned.
But if you notice any of the signs of dehydration mentioned above, especially a sunken soft spot or skin that doesn't bounce back it is important to call your Dr. right away. With small bodies dehydration happens quickly, so while that's a scary thought as a PP mentioned it is treatable with IV fluids, which also sound scarier than they are. I hope she feels better soon!

arly1983

Jackson was breastfed and the only way I could get him to take pedialyte was to warm it up.

Many (((HUGS))) to Aleah!

MsFacetious

I would give very small amounts at a time, Pedialyte may be easier to keep down than breastmilk... try it out and see how she does. Every baby is different and when mine were sick they could only tolerate Pedialyte.

You have to be careful giving water to babies it is easy for them to get too much water which yes, can be dangerous. So stick with Pedialyte.

And if she is still lethargic and doesn't get better just take her to the ER for fluids. It may seem horrible to poke her to get an IV but it can totally turn her around. More than once when my kids had the stomach flu and I just took them in for fluids that was enough to stop the puking and have them start holding things down. Now we do it in the beginning and usually cut the illness in half.

If she is dehydrated when you take her in it is harder to get an IV, if they poke her once and can't get it ask for the Life Flight (Air Med whatever it is called where you are) people or an anesthesiologist. These are the two best people for IV's in babies. I learned this the hard way. They've had to poke Ali up to ten times before I knew better! I won't let them use her as a pin cushion anymore.

Good luck!

Lys

Senior Community Member
IMHO, Pedialyte is for formula fed babies.
BM is better for vomiting and diarehea because of the antibodies.
You can make popsicles out of your BM and that would be so much better than Pedialyte.
"Do not stop or reduce breast feeding when a baby has diarrhea. Infants with diarrhea should be breastfed as often and for as long as they want.
Do not give give or recommend sugary drinks such as Gatorade, sweetened commercial fruit drinks, cola drinks or apple juice, which may cause an osmotic diarrhea and a net loss of fluid."
http://www.ncemi.org/cse/cse0607.htm

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC