Help me choose ~ Pic Heavy!

mamakc

I'm trying to find a replacement for our Nautilus (because it's too big in my car for my liking) that can be passed down to DS when he outgrows his Avenue so he can remain rear-facing. The trick is guessing which one he'll still fit in RF when she moves up to a booster in one of the cars... I'm expecting him to outgrow the Ave around 3. DD will be 5 at that time.

I want something I can install in my car's center seat that has funky hinges that interfere with most installs. So all the FF pics are in that seat. Then it'll go RF in DH's car.

I bought three returnable seats. A Graco MyRide 65, a Britax Roundabout 55, and a Complete Air 65 LX. The CA won't be here for a week and I'm not holding my breath hoping that big base will fit where I want it to. If it does, then I'll jump for joy, but I'll still have to decide if it's worth the extra money... (I know it will fit best width-wise because my original CA does, but I can't install it correctly in the center bc of the hinges. I'm finding out if the LX base will help w/ the install)

My most important question for both seats in this thread:

Does it look like it'll last DS to 4 RF?

On to the pics!

First up is the MyRide

Rear facing in my car:
DD is too heavy to RF in this, but she totally still fits height wise. Sigh...
IMG_1529.jpg

Sorry that pic was a bit off topic ;)

DD forward facing. It installed ok in the middle. A little wiggly, but less than an inch. She looks a little squished, but she said she's not & she likes the seat as long as I promise to get her the "cuddle" cover.
IMG_1530.jpg

She's on the top slot, but barely above the 4th.
IMG_1538.jpg

It installed fairly easy RF in DH's car.
IMG_1544.jpg

plenty of room for me in the front w/o the seat touching the front seat.
IMG_1552.jpg

No head slump! He's been slumping in his CA here lately... Gosh this seat looks comfortable, I wish they made one my size..
IMG_1580.jpg

Overall, I like this seat, but there's NO way I could do 3 across w/ it when I babysit my niece. I'd have to put DD in the back, which is sort of what I was trying to get away from by replacing the Nauti...

Britax Roundabout 55:

I have to say, I was impressed by the amount of room DS had left after all the complaints about it being short. I'm so confused though. The measurements of the seat & of DS say he should have way less room than he does. It's car seat magic!

FF in my car:
IMG_1595.jpg

She's on the top slots. I had to use the FF recline on the seat to get it to install in this seat. I haven't read the manual in detail yet, is there a weight limit for using the recline? If I can't use it, this seat's out because there's no way to get it installed fully upright.
Room above her head:
IMG_1596.jpg

OK so the lock offs are definitely weird. I read about how to use them, but I had trouble w/ both the FF & RF lock offs. I couldn't get the bottom (lap) part of the belt completely flat, but the top (shoulder) part was tight. The seat didn't move at all, but I wanted to make sure it looked right...
IMG_1589.jpg

The belt bunched around the buckle a bit
IMG_1593.jpg

RF in DH's car
Those lockoffs are a serious PITA, by the way. Same issue as the FF ones:
IMG_1611.jpg

It does fit VERY well in DH's corolla. I think I had the passenger seat all the way back & it was braced.
IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

He's right *at* the second to top slots for RF.
IMG_1609.jpg

I'm exhausted! Please let me know if I've left out any information or if I've overlooked any configuration to get 3 across w/ an ss1 (& in the future I'll use the Ave for niece). My brain is mush! Help me decide which will last longer lol

Thanks!

ADS

DaniChildcare

If that is RF in the middle, would you be able to get 2 FF seats on the sides? How old is your niece? Would she be RF or FF?

mamakc

If that is RF in the middle, would you be able to get 2 FF seats on the sides? How old is your niece? Would she be RF or FF?

She's 7 months, so RF for quite a while. I need 2 RF and 1 FF seat. Ideally, DD in the middle, DS outboard, and niece outboard so I can pop her seat in (baseless) and out easy.

I can not get any convertible seat RF in the center so far (except the radian, but I'm trying not to go there). I can't get the seat to not move when it's resting against the plastic. The infant seat will install with or without the base, but wont fit between any combo of seats I've tried so far for my kids. This has been fun... lol

DaniChildcare

The MR seems to puzzle well because of the base. I would imagine that you could get 2 RF seats next to it while it is FF

Have you tried the Avenue right up next to it? What infant seat is it?

mamakc

It's an ss1. The Avenue is installed next to the MR in the FF pic, but you can't see it. It works on that side only (it's the "40" portion of the bench). I couldn't get the ss1 to install on the other side when I tried today. :( I can try again tomorrow, I'll have more time to play. The Ave & MR happen to hit each other at their widest points, unfortunately.

DaniChildcare

So would the MR fit with a scerena (sp?) on the other side? Would you be willing to buy one (or your sister?) buy one for your car?

The RA is obviously an option, but i really dislike the lack of leg room (i know it's not that important) but your son does look a tad squished!

The CA may be the best option (even as much as i love the MR!) since it is more narrow, but i could swear someone else on here said they had a SS1 next to the MR and it worked fine (baseless) obviously could be your seats vs theirs.

(btw, i love the pic of Barbie chillin' in the cup holder ROFL!) :p

mamakc

I'll make a note to try them both with a scenera instead of an ss1. I don't even know long I'll be watching my niece. It's supposed to be temporary, so although I'd very much LOVE to get 3 across, it is not imperative.

I didn't even think about his legs. He's short on the leg side so I didn't think he'd ever be "squished" there LOL. But you're right, the MR has more room. One thing the RA REALLY has going for it, for me, is the tether/bracing. DH's car doesn't have side airbags and it's so small, I worry... I would feel better w/ the britax I think. Unless someone can reassure me about the MyRide?

I seriously can't stand the suspense waiting for the CA to get here... It might be the winner, but I'll be SO bummed if it isn't.

Kat_Momof3

check the manual on the RA55... I know the older style marathons and such had it where you could only install it ff reclined if the kiddo was under the rf limit (at the time, 33lbs)

I vote for the Myride or the CA

mamakc

I so badly want the myride to work w/ the ss1 and it just doesn't. :(

The ss1 installs, but the door won't close :) Also won't install w/ the base.
The scenera also won't install RF next to the myride.

Both the ss1 (baseless) & scenera will install next to the RA 55, although the ss1 is easier
IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

I checked the manual and there's no weight limit on recline position 2 for FF. :)

Here's my CA (not installed) next to the ss1. Only works WITH the base.
IMG_1637.jpg

And here's why I can't install the CA in the middle:
IMG_1634.jpg

The foot of the CA rests on the plastic. So whether or not the LX will work depends on the shape of the base. :)

So... looks like the myride might be out

Kat_Momof3

what about... complete air outboard, rf scenera middle, and ss1 outboard?
ohohohohohohohohohoh... what about...

scenera, myride, COCCORO!

mamakc

what about... complete air outboard, rf scenera middle, and ss1 outboard?
ohohohohohohohohohoh... what about...

scenera, myride, COCCORO!

The scenera wont install RF in the middle. My scenera in the pictures is decommissioned. It has no straps and it's only purpose is as a toddler chair. :) I have no desire to replace it because DD has outgrown it & ds will probably outgrow it in <6 months. The coccoro is equally useless to me. I don't need a new seat for my niece, I just want to be able to squeeze her in.

The new seat I need to decide on is one that will fit in the center FF, will accommodate a 3rd seat next to it, and can effectively be passed down to DS to continue RF until age 4 (or 40lbs, whichever comes first). I just can't tell if the RA55 will fit him for 2 more years based on how he looks in it now. Or if there's another seat to consider? :confused:

ame0312

just an fyi... the shoulder belt on the SS shouldnt be through the guides... just the lap portion :thumbsup:
eta: on the baseless install :)

DaniChildcare

Ok, i have a new question, are you planning on replacing DS seat (The Avenue?)

Not sure if yours is part of the recall or not.

I know your plan is to replace one seat, and i don't know if you can replace 2 right now, but have you thought of getting a MR for DS and maybe a FF seat for DD? I know your plan was to kind of stagger the purchase out a bit, but maybe now would be a good time to do it?

(i feel uncomfortable using any of the seats involved in the recall so i'm just curious if that may be more a better choice)

mamakc

Our Avenue is not part of the recall. I plan to keep using it in my car for DS until he outgrows it, then at that point he will move into the seat I'm getting for DD to use now and I'll move her into a booster in one car.

DaniChildcare

Our Avenue is not part of the recall. I plan to keep using it in my car for DS until he outgrows it, then at that point he will move into the seat I'm getting for DD to use now and I'll move her into a booster in one car.

Makes sense, was just asking (stupid recall!)

I'm sure you'll find something that fits correctly. :)

Hopefully the CA's base will work for you!

mamakc

hmm... Well no one has come out and said it, but I'm getting the vibe that nobody thinks either of these seats will work. :( Is that so?

DaniChildcare

I could swear i saw what cars these were in this thread, and now i can't find it. i *think* the CA will probably work with the base thing, however, it *might* end up hitting the Ave. at the wrong part because of the base thing on that as well.

The SS1 is hard to puzzle because of it bases "wings" - it *might* install better with the Snugride 30 base, but i'm not sure.

Could you humor me and try the MR, Nauti, and SS1 next to each other? I wonder if those might puzzle???

(i totally missed that you had a Nauti, i know that you're wanting to get rid of it, but maybe that config. would work?)

mamakc

2007 Ford Freestyle & 2000 Toyota Corolla. (it's in my siggy ;))

The nauti won't install in the center. Neither will my Maestro.

Thank you for brainstorming with me! I really appreciate it :)

DaniChildcare

ahh that's why i missed it, i KNEW one was a Corolla, but couldn't find it anywhere.

Ok, my next idea is having that stupid piece of plastic taken out!!!

This may only be a temp fix, but will the SS1 sit in the middle, since it wouldn't be touching that stupid piece of plastic? :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC