Question Carseat for my 8 month old- Graco Nautilus 3-n-1, Britax Boulevard, or Cosco Scenera-also Britax RA50 vs. RA55 questions

C

CrystalandEva

Hi everyone! My 8 month-old girl weighs 19+ lbs. and I need to get her a new carseat. I am debating between the Graco Nautilus 3-n-1, the Britax Roundabout (50 classic or 55- don't know which of the Roundabouts is better?), and the very inexpensive Cosco Scenera. I like the affordable price of the Cosco Scenera (but, this is my baby's life and if it's better to go with one of the other more expensive ones, we'll do it- even though money's quite tight right now.) Britax has great reviews and should last until my baby's around 4 years old, I think. The Graco Nautilus 3-n-1 I like because it holds a child up to 100 lbs. and converts into a booster (so, with that one, I wouldn't have to eventually buy another seat.) I can't decide and don't know which would be best. Any recommendations, tips, info., answers would be very helpful! Thank you guys so much!

Sincerely,
Crystal (and baby Eva)

ADS
C

CrystalandEva

Britax Roundabout 50 Classic OR Britax Roundabout 55?

I have an 8-month old daughter who weighs almost 20 lbs. I would like to keep her in a err facing carseat for as long as possible and don't know if kids usually outgrow the height or the weight limit first. The classic has more height allowance, the 55 has more weight allowance. Which one do you think would be beat and last us longer? Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,
Crystal

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Re: Carseat for my 8 month old- Graco Nautilus 3-n-1, Britax Boulevard, or Cosco Scenera

The Nautilus is a forward facing seat and so is not a legal option for an eight month old, nor a safe option until your baby is much older (like three or four years old). http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/

The Scenera and the Britaxes pass the same exact testing. Anything that we know beyond that is marketing dollars. If the Britaxes are out of your budget I'd eliminate them.

If the Nautilus is in your budget, though, I'd look at the Graco My Ride, Evenflo Triumph 65, and Learning Curve True Fit. They're taller than the Scenera, have higher forward facing weight limits, higher top slots, and so will last longer.

Wendy

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Re: Carseat for my 8 month old- Graco Nautilus 3-n-1, Britax Boulevard, or Cosco Scenera

First of all, the Nautilus is not an option for an 8mo old. Your child needs to stay rear-facing for a long time yet, hopefully until age 3 (or older).

Seats I'd look at would be the Graco My Ride, Safety 1st Complete Air, True Fit, Evenflo Triumph Advance.
The Scenera is a fine choice also. It is a good, lightweight seat that should last until your child is 3-4 years.

Of the seats I suggested, all will Rear-Face (RF) to 40 pounds except the True Fit which will RF to 35 pounds.

Glad you found us and came for advice!

The Britax convertibles are nice but depending on your dds size, may still not fit properly.

Can you give us your dds height and what seat is she in now and how does she fit? What harness slots is she on? How close is her head to the top of the shell?

henrietta

Just wanted to add, that we have an EFTA (Evenflo Triumph Advance). It's the third Evenflo convertible that we've owned. We also have had 5 different Britax seats. We like the EFTA just as much, sometimes more than, our Britax convertibles. And it has lasted our kids longer as well, for far less $$$. If money's tight and the Scenera appeals to you right now b/c of that, but you like the added features of the Britax (like EPS foam), check out the other seats mentioned. The EFTA and Evenflo Momentum, Graco My Ride, Safety First Complete Air and Learning Curve True Fit can all be found for under $200. Sometimes, you can get one of these seats for just over $120. These other seats will last at least as long the as the Britax-some will last a bit longer, plus they all have more leg room for an older rear-facer.

If you are set on the Britax--there is the Roundabout 50 or 55 like you mentioned. I think they are exactly the same size, just one has a higher forward facing weight limit. Both of my kids are very long torsoed--the older one outgrew the Britax w/the same top slots as the Roundabout 50 around age 4.5 and 36-37 lbs. In a few cars, it installs a bit more upright, and he can still fit now at 5.5...but I really don't count on it. It was just an accidental discovery over this winter. I've never seen a kid make it to 50 lbs in any Britax convertible seat. Most seats are outgrown by height before weight.

There is a trade in event at BRU for a few more days--if you can find an old baby item to trade in--you could get 25% off a new seat like the ones mentioned.

hths

henrietta

StillThankful

Welcome to the board! Hopefully you will become a registered user. I ditto pretty much what the previous posters stated but please let us know what type of car you drive and the position you are going to install the carseat.

If you have a sedan with a typical backseat: some people complain about the Evenflo Triumph Advance "knobs" being buried in the back seat and unreachable to adjust the harness tension. If you have captain chairs, it's much better. I own and love :love: this seat.

Going the long haul--it looks like you want the most bang for your buck b/c you mentioned that the Graco Nautilus (which isn't an option in your case) will take you to 100#--I would rule out the Scenera b/c it only goes to 40# (but okay for a short term, inexpensive option). I love :love: the Graco My Ride--it's a dreamy rearfacing seat. BUT there are issues of it installing at a later date forward facing in some seats due to its natural recline. Again, if you have captain chairs, the My Ride is a dreamy install in both directions. For the long haul, I would recommend looking at the Evenflo Symphony (rear faces to 35#, FF to 65#, and later converts to a booster up to 100#).

I don't own a Britax Roundabout 55 but from what I read on here, it's a pretty easy install rear face and forward facing. I have owned a Britax classic 50 Roundabout and classic Marathon and also love them.

Please keep us updated:;)

Kobain's Mommy

If you can get to ToysRus/BabiesRus by the 21st and have a stroller, car seat, crib, bassinet, toddler bed, or high chair you are willing to trade in to get the 25% off you can get the Complete Air65 for about $140.

henrietta

f you have a sedan with a typical backseat: some people complain about the Evenflo Triumph Advance "knobs" being buried in the back seat and unreachable to adjust the harness tension. If you have captain chairs, it's much better. I own and love this seat.

This totally depends on the back seat and the captains chairs. If the back seat is very contoured, it can be a problem. In our VW Passat, it could be a problem, but it could be installed a bit differently and that almost fixed it. Captains chairs don't always work--mine don't work at all w/the EFTA, BUT the bonus of captains chairs is that you can recline the seat back a notch, adjust the harness w/the knobs, and then bring it back up. I chose not to do this, b/c it drives me nuts, but lots of people do this.

hths

henrietta

CrystalandEva

Hi, thanks so much for helping me out! I didn't realize that the Nautilus wasn't rear-facing...it's now out. Eva currently weighs 19 lbs. 10 oz. and is 17 inches tall. She actually turns 8 months old tomorrow. Our car is a Honda Civic. Yea, money is very tight for us right now but, the safety of Eva is super important to us. I heard that Cosco Scenera is one of the safest for a budget carseat in crash tests and that Britax seats are top for crash test safety. I would like her to stay rear-facing for as long as she can for safety purposes. Are the other caresses suggested tested excellently for safety equally? Thanks again for all your help! What do you think the best seats for her are then?
Thanks, Crystal

featherhead

Hi, thanks so much for helping me out! I didn't realize that the Nautilus wasn't rear-facing...it's now out. Eva currently weighs 19 lbs. 10 oz. and is 17 inches tall. She actually turns 8 months old tomorrow. Our car is a Honda Civic. Yea, money is very tight for us right now but, the safety of Eva is super important to us. I heard that Cosco Scenera is one of the safest for a budget carseat in crash tests and that Britax seats are top for crash test safety. I would like her to stay rear-facing for as long as she can for safety purposes. Are the other caresses suggested tested excellently for safety equally? Thanks again for all your help! What do you think the best seats for her are then?
Thanks, Crystal

If the Scenera is all you can afford right now, then go for it! As long as you install it properly, and buckle up your dd tightly, she will be very safe:) If you can, get one that rear-faces to 40 lbs. And then, start saving pennies for when she outgrows the Scenera. She sounds like a fairly average size, so the Scenera could possibly last her till 3ish rear-facing.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
All seats pass the same crash tests. Whether or not they go beyond that is not released (other than by marketing departments, which may or may not actually be completely true). The Scenera and the Britaxes have both passed FMVSS213. If the Scenera is in your budget and the Britaxes are not (and the Britaxes don't make my top five anyway, even if they were), then the Scenera is the seat for you.

Wendy

CrystalandEva

Thanks for the advice. I think we'll probably get the Scenera if you think that's what's best for our situation then. Will it fit well ib our 2002 Hobda Civic (driver side)? So far, Eva's been in the 90% for weight and height, around what age do you think she will outgrow the Scenera? What carseat do you recommend for when she does outgrow it- with excellent safety and ease of use? Are there caraeats out there that last well throughout all stages so we wouldn't need to buy anoter seat in the future? You guys are unbelievably helpful, btw!!!

Thanks!, Crystal

jess71903

Ambassador
We don't know anything about "safer" or "safest" when it comes to car seats. They all pass the same tests if they are on the market. In your situation, I would get the Scenera 40RF.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Thanks for the advice. I think we'll probably get the Scenera if you think that's what's best for our situation then. Will it fit well ib our 2002 Hobda Civic (driver side)? So far, Eva's been in the 90% for weight and height, around what age do you think she will outgrow the Scenera? What carseat do you recommend for when she does outgrow it- with excellent safety and ease of use? Are there caraeats out there that last well throughout all stages so we wouldn't need to buy anoter seat in the future? You guys are unbelievably helpful, btw!!!

Thanks!, Crystal

There are car seats that claim to last through all stages, but you know the phrase "jack of all trades, master of none"...well it applies. The Costco/Eddie Bouer/Safety 1st (all the same seat with different marketing) do not fit kids properly in booster mode and should only be used rfing and ffing in the opinions of everybody except the company that makes them.

The Evenflo Symphony and Graco Smart Seat fit very well in all three modes, but neither is tall enough in booster mode to get a child all the way to fitting in an adult seat belt. Those two are still good options, as you will most likely be able to get away with a less than $25 no back booster after it is outgrown, but you will still be looking at one more research and buy project when kiddo is between 6 and 8 years old.

sunnymw

yes, the scenera fits into a civic just fine. i installed frequently with both latch and seatbelt (never both at the same time) and a rolled up towel or pool noodle and never had an issue.

for that last bit of tightening, i like to remove part of the cover in the leg area so i can get to the belt path, then get behind the seat and push towards the back of the car with my chest while pulling the latch or belt up and towards the middle. wish i had a pic, that is so hard to explain!

jjordan

Thanks!, Crystal

This is just a guess (and kind of a broad one at that!), but I would expect her to outgrow the scenera rearfacing somewhere between age 2 and 3.

You might also consider an evenflo tribute. It is slightly more expensive (about $60?), but will probably last longer. Here is a recent thread about the tribute. There is a photo of a 5 year old in the tribute linked in the first post. If you click on the photo link, you can compare the same child in a scenera (by clicking on the right arrow to see the next photo), and the scenera photo was a year earlier.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I also wouldn't worry about what to get next. In 2.5 years or so the carseat suggestions may be completely different. We can recommend seats that we would recommend as if you were buying today (Nautilus, Frontier 85, ProSport), but to give you an idea, Graco just came out with the Argos 70, which will like replace the Nautilus within a few months I think. The Frontier 85 replaced the Frontier, which was only out a year and the 85 has only been out for a year. The ProSport has been out for about a year, before that Recaro had the Young Sport, but there are huge differences between the seats. The Evenflo Maestro was just coming out a year ago. So the four top seats we'd recommend right now are either relatively new or possibly on their way out. Just to give you an idea of what a year does. You're talking about two to three years from now. Don't worry about planning so far ahead.

Wendy

spryngtree

Will it fit well ib our 2002 Hobda Civic (driver side)?

We just experimented with a seat that has the same shell as the Scenera in our 2002 civic. (safety first onside air) The plus was it fit really well front to back and may even give you more room than your infant seat did. It had a lot more room than our older seats did for us to push the seats further back. The negative was that the latch install was a little tricky and frustrating.

We decided not to go with it because it would be the seat we needed to take in and out often and my husband was really grumpy about it. If you aren't going to be taking it out too often I don't think it's as likely to be a problem but I would make sure to get it checked by a tech and maybe look at my last thread here as it had some really good advice about getting it in better. (step 1, a less grumpy husband.)

One thing we've found with all convertibles in that car...the back seat has a steeper sideways tilt to it than usual as you get near the door, seats will fit better if you make sure you have the base sitting well on the flat part a little further in from the door before you start out.

CrystalandEva

So, my husband and I went to look at The Scenera and, even though it is more in our price range, he really didn't like how unpadded and hard it was and said he didn't want us to get it for her for that reason so, we're back to the drawing board. He now says he's willing to pay a little more for a seat that would be very comfortable for her and can keep her rear facing for a while. We looked at the MyRide and really liked it WITH THE INFANT INSERT but, when we took the insert out, it was also really hard and not padded enough. So, any suggestions from here?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd look at the Evenflo Triumph 65, the My Ride isn't terribly unpadded, and the Learning Curve True Fit (basically online only).

Most kids don't mind about the padding, btw.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC