Deadly heat in cars

ADS

amy919

Wow - I am not a cryer and it takes a lot to get me worked up, but this one was just too much. That poor family.

Amy

mommy2jana

That has me in tears!!!

She was only 2 days younger than my dd. Reading about Ava was like reading about my dd - she says "iloveyousomuch", the princess comments, the "You are my Sunshine" song, the dressing up in costumes and swimsuits, ballet class, ect. - things I'm sure most little girls do, but for some reason this really hit home for me. I'm definitely going to be teaching Jana about not going into cars without me, especially since we live in FL in this crazy heat! I couldn't imagine losing my babygirl. My prayers go out that family.

TheRealMacGyver

I can't even imagine the pain that family feels. I didn't read everything on the site, but they mentioned the "gold coast" which is between Palm Beach and Miami in Florida. I'm assuming that is where this happened (could be other areas that are called gold coast though). With the summer approaching this is a good reminder for all of us. Every year we hear about this happening. Very sad.

They're in Australia's Gold Coast.

:crying: I lost it at "IloveYOUsomuch" too... :crying:

Such a beautiful little princess.

I've talked to my kids before about the dangers of getting into a car without a grownup, but I will definitely do so again. We had a close call of our own when my 5 yr. old dd was about 2.5. Baby sister was just a month or two old, and my parents came to visit. On the way home from picking them up at the airport, we stopped for a few quick groceries. Dd must have fallen asleep on the way home from that; when we arrived, in all of the chaos of getting the baby's carseat out, and the few bags of groceries, somehow she got left behind.

We were in NW Florida, and it was around June; I remember that it was in the high 80's/low 90's that day. It was between 30-45 minutes before we all started to realize that we hadn't seen her pattering around the house for a while...

She was conscious and crying when we found her, still buckled into her carseat in the van. We were quite lucky really that nothing worse happened. She cooled down on her own quickly with a cool bath and cool fluids, and didn't show any signs of heat sickness, or we'd have called an ambulance immediately. Her Guardian Angels were working overtime that day.

I've never felt worse as a mother than the moment I realized that I'd *forgotten* my child in the car on a hot day... :( Of course we are extra vigilant about that now, and as I said we do talk to our kids about the dangers. But this is a good reminder that, with summer approaching, it's time to do so again....

wondering1

I believe it is the Gold Coast in the Queensland, Australia area. I, too, feel that we've had some close calls where we just got lucky...life can be taken so easily!

ThreeBeans

I was expecting to be angry when I read this...all the stories about babies dying when their parents leave them in cars to go shopping. But this was pure accident. No one was at fault. I am heartbroken for that family :(

mamisan

I can't go to the link because it will upset me too much but I was just talking to my kids about this after we had a flat tire recently and they wanted to play in my fil's car. They weren't happy that I wouldn't let them shut the doors. We live in MN but this happens several times a year.

MySillyKids

This is why i ALWAYS put my purse on the back seat, (making me get out and GO in the back seat to see him) when i KNOW that my little one is going to fall asleep. Like today for instance. We have 3 appts and my 14 month old wont be able to nap except for in the car. You cant go anywhere with out your purse!

Living in the HOT AZ desert we HAVE to make sure that something like this never happens! Eek :(

(just a reminder to myself LOL)

:cry:

skaterbabs

I put my laptop case in the floorboard of the back seat. Not that our precious little shrinking violet would let us forget her. ;)

MySillyKids

I put my laptop case in the floorboard of the back seat. Not that our precious little shrinking violet would let us forget her. ;)

Yea, my little man is silent no matter what. so there ARE some days where i DO forget he's back there. i always do a conversation mirror check in the odyssey before exiting the van!

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
aleah is always so quiet in the car. i am always so afraid of forgetting about her. here in the vegas heat, i hear atleast half a dozen stories every summer of children dying in hot cars, but twice as many about children dying in swimming pools (theres already been a couple of drownings this year).

there was a story either last summer or the summer before about a teacher who forgot his son was in the backseat. he hadnt stopped for coffe (which he usually did before he took his little one to preschool after dropping off the toher kids) and it threw of his schedule. sadly, his child died. he realised he had forgotten him in the middle of class, and ran out but it was too late. it was a horrible story.

supercrunch

I always get so sad this time of year when we start hearing these stories on the news. I saw a headline for one yesterday when we were waiting at the hospital for my ds's upper endoscopy.

I am compulsive about checking the backseat. Even when I am on my way to work in the evenings and I KNOW I just left them at home with dh.

I also make sure to always leave a door open if I am running groceries up to the porch or bringing something to put in the trunk (I am somehow paranoid that if I were to fall or something horrible were to happen, my ds would be stuck in the car without ventilation).

Loves2sing

I cried, and almost sobbed as I was reading that! She reminds me so much of my Jenna, I know I couldn't handle it if anything happened to her. Even though that has nothing to do with car seats, it is reason enough for me to make sure Jenna is as safe as possible in every situation, including in the car. My heart is absolutely broken for that poor family. My prayers are with them. Now I am going to go give Jenna a hug, we are so blessed for every minute we have with our kids, even the most frustrating moments!

mommy4girls

Senior Community Member
That is just heartbreaking :(

It's also something that terrifies me. I try to make sure our doors are always locked to the car, but the kids will go out and get something and the rest is history

MsFacetious

I always have my kids with me when I go anywhere so I never have to worry about forgetting I do. And, because of their tendency to wander we have locks to keep them from going outside. And because of their health issues I can't leave them alone for 5 minutes so they would never be out of my site that long.

Definitely some perks to having kids with special needs. This is one thing I don't have to worry about.

Very very sad. I also couldn't look at the website much. Too sad.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC