So tell me what you think.

Baylor

My son who is 6.5 yr old has been begging me to be out of his nautilus. He says none of his friends.. blah blah blah...

Well yesterday, I took the back off because I had to pick him up in my Dad's mustang and it is such a tight squeeze.

His school is one left from my house in the housing section. No main roads, no big trucks.. Nothing.

Last night when we went to drive somewhere else he asked to stay in the LBB. I let him. I immediately regretted it for the longer drive. He was moving around and would sit back, Because I told him not to put it past me to stop at the next store I passed to go in and buy a HBB and put him right back in it.

So he stayed pretty good the rest of the way. NOT enough for me to ever be comfortable with this as an everyday thing.

So I bought him a Harmony Literider today. I am going to let him use that to and from school and in emergencies and the Nauti will be for any time we leave our housing development.

I feel like it is a good compromise without compromising his safety.

open to thoughts.

ADS

Baylor

It was good last night. It fell right where it should and I explained where it needed to be.

I have to say overall he looked good, The belt fit across his lap good and it really did look like it was good fit.

BW1426

I think a well fitting lbb is a perfectly fine choice for many 6.5 year olds. With that said, I don't think I'd go from a harness to a lbb. I think a hbb helps position children better and it's more difficult to wiggle around in. Additionally, although it isn't safety related, I like to have negotiation tools within reach. Moving from a harnessed seat to a lbb doesn't offer you any room for negotiations when he start complaining in a year or two that his friends aren't riding in anything. If you move him to a hbb now, you'll be able to play the let's move up to a lbb in a year or so. :twocents:

Baylor

He has been using the GN in booster mode for some months now and doing great. I think he was just a little crazy over all the freedome he felt. When I settled him down, he was good. He stayed in the middle because he knew that I would indeed stop and make him sit in a HBB.

I plan to use the HBB 98% of the time. I was actually almost wanting it not to fit him well so I could just say that, But I tell him so much about how it should fit that he can correct others and he knew it fit him good too.

My reasoning is that just he is going to have to make this move sometime and he may have to use it in a pinch in someone else's car. I want to be sure he is ready and not doing it for the first time then.

Baylor

Thanks. I am still feeling this out. His grandpop is his emergency pick up and he has this 2009 Mustang Gt and It is really tough to get that GN in there. I can do it but I don't think My dad could without trouble. I am trying to just take advantage of the time to teach him the right way and know that he will be okay.

On the way home today, I had him in the literider, He buckled in and I made sure he was secure. He looked darn good in it. The fit was good.

I see this as LBB booster training. So far so good.

Baylor

Keeping this all in one thread..

So I went on to do some research about LBB and found a video that shows how to properly fit a child in one. They don't use the red adjuster clip.

Is this mandatory or a choice? Thanks!

Dillipop

Keeping this all in one thread..

So I went on to do some research about LBB and found a video that shows how to properly fit a child in one. They don't use the red adjuster clip.

Is this mandatory or a choice? Thanks!

You only need to use the adjuster clip if the belt doesn't lay on the child correctly. If he fits without it, you don't need it.

Baylor

I have been trying to find a LBB info thread here but I can not. I find lots of things about it but not one to answer the questions I have. Thanks so much. Just trying to be as prepared as I can.

When and why would you use a LBB instead of a HBB.

DaniChildcare

I have been trying to find a LBB info thread here but I can not. I find lots of things about it but not one to answer the questions I have. Thanks so much. Just trying to be as prepared as I can.

When and why would you use a LBB instead of a HBB.

I use LBB for kids that don't sleep in the car, and just need a boost to have the seat belt lay correctly.

I had a 5yo boy i watched in a LBB for the 2 minute drive to school, but if i were taking him somewhere that was going to be longer in the car, i would put the back on, because he'd fall asleep.

If a child is used to a booster, sits correctly, and doesn't sleep in the car (or the LBB is used for simple short trips) is when i use it. If they tend to sleep in the car, i don't bother, they don't stay in place with a LBB.

At 6.5yo i would use it for short trips (granted he listened when you tell him to sit properly)

Baylor

I had a 5yo boy i watched in a LBB for the 2 minute drive to school, but if i were taking him somewhere that was going to be longer in the car, i would put the back on, because he'd fall asleep.

That is all I am using it for now. I don't love the idea, But I want him to be able to use it right if need be.

melniemi

My 9 and 10 yos are still in hbbs. I prefer them over nbb until the child no longer fits in a hbb. But my car doesn't have side airbags either. If it did, I would probably give them the option at their ages.

Baylor

So we have had 2 days of using the Literider to and from school and He is doing great. He sits still he makes sure the belt is under the arm on the seat and he is sitting right in the middle of it. Will I let him use this on the roads? No. I prefer him in the GN til he outgrows it, but I think this is a way to "train" him in proper use and give him a sense of being in charge of his safety too.

Thanks for all the things to think about. I may go get a FR85 if I can use my 25% off at BRU on it. For big trips and for the baby who I am sure will outgrow his GN by height well before weight.

christineka

Me, personally, I wouldn't go so quickly from harness to backless booster. I have a high back booster for a spare to put in other people's vehicles. It's a vivo and won't separate no matter how you carry it. Yeah, it's big and heavy, but it's not like my kids need to be carrying it around. I do have backless boosters for my 9 and 11 year olds, but my 7 and 6 year olds ride in high backs in other people's cars. If it was a true emergency, I would have no issues with either of those kids riding backless for the first time in their lives.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC