Question am I thinking along the right lines?

mumof2

one of the carseats we can get in NZ is the BRIO Zento which rear faces to 25kgs (55lbs) AFAIK most children will outgrow it in height well before they reach the weight limit.

now the average 25kg child would be around 8 years? (but it would be rather uncommon to have an 8 year old rearfacing?) so you get people thinking why would you rearface an 8 year old.

but my thinking is the reason for carseats with a high rearfacing weight limit is so that parents are not "forced" to turn their children forward facing before they are 2 years and that they have the choice to keep their child rearfacing till say at least 3 years?

and I guess too it woudl allow for the bigger than average child..think I saw a 40lb almost 2 year old rearfacing in a radian

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have a Zento; it does rear-face longer by height than the radian, because it is more upright, and also allows use until eyes are at the top of the shell. I would say some kids could get to 55 in it (not any of mine, but some.) It is definitely helpful for taller or heavier kids; kids come in all shapes and sizes! Also, in Sweden where it is made, almost no seats harness forward facing above 40 lbs and it is important to have options so that, say, a large 3 year old doesn't have to be boosteted before he is ready.

livsmum

I came across one of these yesterday, whilst browsing Trade Me.

I'm surprised it can be hanging off the seat of the car, when rear-facing. How can that be safe?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It has rear-facing tethers and braces for stability. :) Most American seats can be up to 20% (1/5) off the seat, and they usually do neither.

However it's not a huge seat, and in most normal size vehicles it won't hang off the seat that much even in upright mode.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC