Graco Nautilus -another crotch buckle question

nevaehsmommy

Nevaeh is 4 years old. She will be 5 in may. I went ahead and bought the nauti. The one at the store does not have all the extra padding around the crotch stalk. Is it ok to take it off? She is already sitting on the buckle itself. Also is the my ride buckle longer? or does it just seem that way based on where the buckle comes out on the myride? at any rate if it is longer can I switch the two out?

ADS

April

Are you sure you have the buckle on the outermost slot? Did you take the padding out of the seat that can only be used on the bottom harness slot? I'm having trouble picturing a 4 year old sitting on the actual buckle if its in the outermost slot. My DS1 wasn't even close to sitting on it when he was 7yo, 60lbs, 51". :confused:
Posted via Mobile Device

nevaehsmommy

Yes I took the infant padding out, and moved the buckle to the furthest setting away from the seating area. When she sits in the seat I have to pull the buckle from under her bum. Then the buckle is barely above her thighs. And she is sitting on part of the buckle. it looks like it comes from behind her bum instead of infront.

She is not really a big child either. She is 44# but wears a size 6 for the height.

I can get pictures tonight if that would help

RYLANSMOM

I noticed with the gn that you always have to dig the crotch belt from underneath. Even when I pull it forward, as I sit him in the seat it falls back. It all depends on the recliner of the carseat, the recliner of vehicle seat. My son is 3 and 27bsong legged. Anyways he doesn't come close to sitting on it but I do have to dig it out more than his previous seat. I wish they would make a retractable crotch belt so that way you can prevent that from happening, minor annoyance, but I love the seat, it feels safer and more sturdy.

Eta: my son also can slide/ slouched in the seat a bit more. He is used to the efta which cradled him more than the gn as it is made to fit younger infants. The gn sitting straighter up leaves a little bit of a gap where he will slouch a bit instead of keep how back straight...it takes a little getting used to...

ninejr

My nauti buckle is longer than my myride buckle so that probably won't help you. Is your child sitting all the way back? I find that I regularly have to get A to scoot all the way back in the nauti she slides her bum forward as soon as she climbs in.

RYLANSMOM

ninejr said:
My nauti buckle is longer than my myride buckle so that probably won't help you. Is your child sitting all the way back? I find that I regularly have to get A to scoot all the way back in the nauti she slides her bum forward as soon as she climbs in.

Yes..that is what my son does!

April

Yes I took the infant padding out, and moved the buckle to the furthest setting away from the seating area. When she sits in the seat I have to pull the buckle from under her bum. Then the buckle is barely above her thighs. And she is sitting on part of the buckle. it looks like it comes from behind her bum instead of infront.

She is not really a big child either. She is 44# but wears a size 6 for the height.

I can get pictures tonight if that would help

Ooooohhh! :hitsselfonhead: I thought you meant she was sitting on it when it was buckled!
Posted via Mobile Device

mommycat

Ugh, lost a post.... Again:

The buckle always falls down, like mentioned by PPs. Unless you hold it as they climb in on their own, it will flip under the child and will need to be dug back out. She should be able to learn to hold it forward as she climbs in or dig it out herself.

DS1 is about the same size as your DD and fits great. He has been using the seat for a while and is always careful to sit in the corrects position. DS2 is 3yo and just started using this seat so he isn't used to it yet. He always slumps/scoots forward in the seat, leaving a hand's breadth of space behind his bum. I have to shove his bum back several inches every time I put him in the seat to buckle him in properly. Make sure that this isn't your problem.

The padding around the buckle is the one of the things I love about the seat - imagine how much worse the buckle would be to dig out and hold in place to buckle without the padding stiffening up the length. I don't recall if Graco allows the belly pad to be removed or not.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC