Hello from a new member!

afdani1984

Hello! My name is Danielle and I am mom to Joseph Miko, 8.5 months (28", 21 lbs). I'm new to these forums, and hoping you can provide me with some advise.

Currently Joey is riding in a Safety First Air Protect, RF, in a 2008 Chevy Cobalt. We moved him to the convertible from a Graco Sungride when he started pushing the 22 lb weight limit. I need to buy a second carseat for my husband's 93 euro spec Mitsubishi Lancer (we are military, stationed in Germany). I'm fairly certain I want to go with the SK Radian 80 XTSL. I like the high RF weight limit, as I have no plans to go FF anytime soon. Then he can stay in the 5pt for longer when we do turn him around. Im hoping if we go with the Radian that it will fit in my Cobalt, and the Air Protect will go in hubby's car.

I did some research on the site for others using a Radian in a Cobalt and really hope it will fit. Right now the Air Protect is outboard on the passenger side, and it was a PAIN to get installed. I'm really not pleased with the way it fit, even though it seems to be in there pretty solid and is backed against the rear of the front seat. I had to shove the passenger seat way forward to be able to work with it, cut the heck out of my hands, but was able to move the seat back when I was done. I'm not really worried about being squished though because usually when we travel, I'm in the passenger seat (I'm 5'2) and DH drives (he is 6'1). I'm assuming since the Radian is taller, it will probably need to stay outboard or DH will have problems driving. Is it possible to get a solid install with this seat in a Cobalt? I did find there's a tech stationed in the area of our base, hopefully they are still here and once the seat comes and I install it I can get them to take a look at it.

How much of an angle should the seat be at for an almost 9 month old? He seems comfortable in the Air Protect, it's not completely upright, but definately not fully reclined like the SR infant seat. I hear alot less complaining from the back seat now that we've moved to the new seat.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to chatting with everyone!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Complete Air can gently touch the front seat, but it cannot shove against it. You'll need to move the front seat.

He can be at a 30 degree angle at his age. That may help.

The Radian and Complete Air both have 17.5" top slots, so they're outgrown about the same time, even though one has a 50 pound limit and the other can go as high as 80.

Wendy

afdani1984

It's not shoved against the seat, just resting against it. I can put my hand behind the infant seat and move it if I need to. I made sure after I installed that it would still be able to move like it needs to if we are ever in an accident. It's really not any tighter against the seat than the SR was when we had the infant seat in the middle.

I'm not sure the angle is quite 30 degrees so I will have to check that. It was difficult to get the seat right because it doesn't have the color indicator, just the line.

Thanks for the info/help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC