booster seat for very petite 9 year old

U

Unregistered

I am posting this question on behalf of a friend who had an almost 9 year old who is 39 lbs. and 45 inches tall. She is currently still riding in a 5 point harness seat because she is not at the 40 lb. minimum for a booster. I am not sure what kind of seat she currently has, but she has outgrown it in height, and her mom would like to find an alternative for her. I told her that there are 5 point harness seats out there with higher harness heights (my 6 year old who is about the same size as her daughter is still comfortable in his Radian 65), but wanted to check with you to see what kind of seat you would recommend for her, given both her size and age.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Andrea

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are many seats rated from 30 or 33 pounds as boosters. I'd get one of those, or even a 40 pound seat since she's so close. She can even use a backless. Small or not, she has a nine year old skeleton. There's no need for a five point harness at nine years old provided she's neurotypical and physically healthy.

Wendy

Mama Jo

One of my favorite boosters for smaller kids is the Recaro Vivo. The Graco Turbobooster is also another good option, and this can be converted to a backless, as well.

Mama Jo

Also, the Graco Nautilus is a good high weight harness seat if she wanted to continue using the 5 pt harness for a little longer, and it then converts to a high back booster and/or a backless booster. It's better as a backless than a high back because of the way the seatbelt fits in it, so if you were going to go that route, I'd probably use the harness as long as you wanted and then just go straight to the backless booster.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for responding so quickly. I have shared the link to this thread with her, and told her to check back in case anyone posts additional advice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC