Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: OT- Books?

OT- Books?

can anyone reccomend any good books? i read pretty much anything lol
    i love chuck pahlunik (sp) and jodi pecoult , ive ran out of books to read
    Amy

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: OT- Books?

I have found a couple of good authors that I really enjoy. They are Christian books, so I'm not sure if they would interest you, but I love them.
    Francine Rivers has a couple of awesome books, and I also love Karen Kingsbury. They both have a few series that I am totally addicted to!
    Amanda- CRST & Mom
    J-08/01/05 & M-09/14/08

If you like fantasy, dh and I are reading this series that claims to be a cross between Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Lord of the Rings. The first book is called Dhampir, the authors are Barb & J.C. Hendee. It's actually pretty good, I was surprised. lol
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

That's tough, since we don't really know what all you *have* read. But I'll share that some of my favorites are:

Earth's Children series, by Jean M. Auel
    **Clan of the Cave Bear
    **The Valley of Horses
    **The Mammoth Hunters
    **Plains of Passage
    **Shelters of Stone

The Chronicles of Narnia, by C. S. Lewis

The Lord of the Rings, by J. R. R. Tolkein

Harry Potter series, by J. K. Rowling

Eragon, and
    Eldest, by Christopher Paolini

Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (all works by Jane Austen, really)

Marley and Me, by John Grogan (a must for all dog lovers)

The Da Vinci Code, and
    Angels and Demons, by Dan Brown

Happy reading!

ChaoticOctopus
    Dd (4y)~Radian: 36#, 41"
    Dd (7y)~PW: 43#, 45"
    9y, 11y, 13y & 15y/o~ seatbelts

well, yeah, HP is a blast. lol Can't wait for #7 to come out.
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    - Denis Waitley

Quote Originally Posted by chaoticoctopus View Post
    I'll share that some of my favorites are:
    Happy reading!
    I like you -- can we be friends?

The Earth's Children series is my fave & Leila is sooooo into the HP books it's just amazing!

The last truly incredible good book I read was Life is So Good (I forget the author's last name, but it's an absolutely wonderful, real story of a 103 year old grandson of a slave who learned to read at age 98)
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

CPS Advocate

I dont know what kind of books they write so Ill tell you what I have read and enjoyed. My taste may(and probably will) differ from yours.

I personally love J.D. Robb's Eve Dallas(aka '____ in death') series. J D Robb is Nora Roberts' futuristic and slightly dark persona lol! The books are about a cop in like 2059 and all her slightly morbid adventures solving crimes. Nora Roberts' mystery books are also nice, though I hate romance books and they tend to have a little too much romance in them for a mystery. Janet Evanovich's 'Stephanie Plum' series is a hilariously stupid collection of mystery books about a lingerie buyer from Jersey-turned dangerously clumsy bounty hunter(yup its hilarious lol!). Also Harlan Coben is one of my favorites- they tend to have a 6th degree theme to them so they jump around a lot. Some of Mary Higgins Clark and Lisa Scottoline and Im sure there are more that I cant remember.
    Thats a lot of recommendations! lol! I have a strange taste in books because I like quirky and deep mystery with little-to-no romance/sex.

Also I dont really have time to read a lot so just about everything I have "read" has been on tape/CD. I do 'book on tape' in the car while Im driving(minus the kid, because sometimes they do have curse words) or on headphones while Im cleaning. I still sit down and read some of them when I can, especially because Im limited to what my library has available sometimes to stay current in the series I HAVE to read the book. I do enjoy reading them, its just I dont have much time to do it so its easier to listen.
    “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes...
    That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away AND you have their shoes.”

Senior Community Member broken4u05's Avatar

I like christopher moore from what i have read so far. The only book i have read is a dirty job. I liked that a lot
    Kristina- Nanny to Jack and Drew now 3 years old Not a mother yet.

Quote Originally Posted by papooses View Post
    I like you -- can we be friends?

The Earth's Children series is my fave & Leila is sooooo into the HP books it's just amazing!
    Thanks, hon! Anyone who loves the Earth's Children books pretty much has Instant Lifelong Friend status with me! LOL Have you ever visited ecfans.com??? A wonderful board for discussing All Things Ayla.

As for HP, I'm not sure who is the biggest HP geek in this house-- the kids or *me*!

I'll have to check out "Life is So Good" sometime...

ChaoticOctopus

Carseat Crazy

I love books so I'll stick to what I've read recently that's good.

Fiction:
    I'm currently reading Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides , it won the Pulitzer a could of years ago and certainly deserved it. The story is beautifully written and very engaging. As the title suggests it does deal with sexuality but is not particularly graphic. If you like Jodi Picult's books than you'd probably love this.

I'm also reading my way through the mysteries written by Kathy Reiker that the TV show Bones is based on. They are quite well done and remind me of Patricia Cornwell's first books.

If you like Prairie Home Companion on public radio then I highly recommend Garrison Keller's Prairie Home books, they are hysterical, quirky, and a spot on send up of small town life. Even if you've never heard of the radio show they are worth at least a flip through in the book store.

Non-Fiction:

I listening to Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert currently and it is an amazing book. I have the digital audio version from Audible.com that is read by the author and her reading voice is lovely. It's her personal travel memoir about recovering from a nasty divorce and is so interesting.

I adore Lillian Faderman's books about women's history and especially her autobiography and her most recent book "To Believe in Women".

One of my all time favorite books is "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson and also his travel books. "Short History" is about natural history and how humans came to be, I have a science background and it was still so enlightening/surprising. The science content is really well handled so the book is very enjoyable and humorous.

ETA: The HP mania around my house is totally nutty too! We have to get at least two copies to keep the peace

Cool, thanks for the link!

Leila would just not sit still for me to read fun *little* kid books to her like a "normal" kid until I decided to start reading HP when her older siblings visited (she was almost 4 years old & all that time I'd just keep on reading, making myself believe that she was getting something out of it even if she wasn't sitting looking at the pages) -- she was hooked in a snap & her love of books finally blossomed ... so for THAT it got my way enthusiastic seal of approval I did of course grow to become as obsessed as any fan, though

Right now we're loving The Tolkein Reader poems + short stories, too we're actually hooked enough to enjoy learning to write our names in Elvish, LOL > http://www.starchamber.com/paracelsu...n-minutes.html

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by chaoticoctopus View Post
    Thanks, hon! Anyone who loves the Earth's Children books pretty much has Instant Lifelong Friend status with me! LOL Have you ever visited ecfans.com??? A wonderful board for discussing All Things Ayla.

As for HP, I'm not sure who is the biggest HP geek in this house-- the kids or *me*!

I'll have to check out "Life is So Good" sometime...
    My kids can't even read yet. I have no excuse for having had the HP #7 preordered since January! I am counting the days!
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

I'm another Earth's Children series fan. I also like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series for hilariously fun reading. If you like the Stephanie Plum series, you might also like the alphabet mystery series by Sue Grafton featuring the female P.I. Kinsey Millhone, and Sara Paretsky's novels featuring the female detective V.I. Warshawski. There are some hilarious moments in Grafton and Paretsky's novels, but also darker themes/issues and some political messages, especially in Paretsky's books. For example, one of Paretsky's novels, Fire Sale, involves a fictional discount retailer that seemed to have a striking resemblance to WalMart.

DH recently started downloading a SciFi channel series from iTunes called the Dresden Files. The show is based on books by Jim Butcher, and DH and I are slowly making our way through the novels. The series is about a Chicago-based wizard/detective for hire named Harry (lol) Dresden who is sort of like a grown up Harry Potter combined with Phillip Marlow.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

OMG I didn't even know that the Dresden Files were a book series!!! I know what I'll be looking for next-- I'm already in love with the TV show!!

ChaoticOctopus

I love the Earth's Children series too.

All you HP fans need to come to Richmond for the book release. For book 6, our party was reported as the 3rd best in the country, with numbers 1 and 2 being the publisher's gigs! We had people from as far away as Germany come.
    - Denis Waitley

Right now I'm reading "The Well Trained Mind" and it's pretty good!
    but as far fiction goes, I'm a big Dean Koontz fan.
    Michelle ~ Mom to 4
    DD16 - adult seat belt, DS 14 - adult seat belt,
    DD 11 - Britax Frontier (booster), DD 9 - Graco Nautilus (booster)

Quote Originally Posted by skaterbabscpst View Post
    I love the Earth's Children series too.

All you HP fans need to come to Richmond for the book release. For book 6, our party was reported as the 3rd best in the country, with numbers 1 and 2 being the publisher's gigs! We had people from as far away as Germany come.
    Wow, I had no idea, Rebekah I used to be so "up" on HP news & I've really fallen behind since becoming a CPST

My other fave author is Stephen King.

Senior Community Member

Has anyone ever read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon?

I am thinking of downloading it to my ipod for vacation, but it doens't quite look like something I usually go for...

BTW, Eragon and Eldest where awesome on the ipod!!
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

Quote Originally Posted by papooses View Post
    Wow, I had no idea, Rebekah I used to be so "up" on HP news & I've really fallen behind since becoming a CPST

My other fave author is Stephen King.
    You'll have to crash at my house.
    - Denis Waitley