OT- Books?

ADS

Loves2sing

I have found a couple of good authors that I really enjoy. They are Christian books, so I'm not sure if they would interest you, but I love them.
Francine Rivers has a couple of awesome books, and I also love Karen Kingsbury. They both have a few series that I am totally addicted to!

skaterbabs

If you like fantasy, dh and I are reading this series that claims to be a cross between Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Lord of the Rings. The first book is called Dhampir, the authors are Barb & J.C. Hendee. It's actually pretty good, I was surprised. lol

That's tough, since we don't really know what all you *have* read. But I'll share that some of my favorites are:

Earth's Children series, by Jean M. Auel
**Clan of the Cave Bear
**The Valley of Horses
**The Mammoth Hunters
**Plains of Passage
**Shelters of Stone

The Chronicles of Narnia, by C. S. Lewis

The Lord of the Rings, by J. R. R. Tolkein

Harry Potter series, by J. K. Rowling

Eragon, and
Eldest, by Christopher Paolini

Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (all works by Jane Austen, really)

Marley and Me, by John Grogan (a must for all dog lovers)

The Da Vinci Code, and
Angels and Demons, by Dan Brown

Happy reading! :D

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'll share that some of my favorites are:
Happy reading! :D

I like you -- can we be friends? :p

The Earth's Children series is my fave & Leila is sooooo into the HP books it's just amazing!

The last truly incredible good book I read was Life is So Good (I forget the author's last name, but it's an absolutely wonderful, real story of a 103 year old grandson of a slave who learned to read at age 98)

LuvBug

I dont know what kind of books they write so Ill tell you what I have read and enjoyed. My taste may(and probably will) differ from yours.

I personally love J.D. Robb's Eve Dallas(aka '____ in death') series. J D Robb is Nora Roberts' futuristic and slightly dark persona lol! The books are about a cop in like 2059 and all her slightly morbid adventures solving crimes. Nora Roberts' mystery books are also nice, though I hate romance books and they tend to have a little too much romance in them for a mystery. Janet Evanovich's 'Stephanie Plum' series is a hilariously stupid collection of mystery books about a lingerie buyer from Jersey-turned dangerously clumsy bounty hunter(yup its hilarious lol!). Also Harlan Coben is one of my favorites- they tend to have a 6th degree theme to them so they jump around a lot. Some of Mary Higgins Clark and Lisa Scottoline and Im sure there are more that I cant remember.
Thats a lot of recommendations! lol! I have a strange taste in books because I like quirky and deep mystery with little-to-no romance/sex.

Also I dont really have time to read a lot so just about everything I have "read" has been on tape/CD. I do 'book on tape' in the car while Im driving(minus the kid, because sometimes they do have curse words) or on headphones while Im cleaning. I still sit down and read some of them when I can, especially because Im limited to what my library has available sometimes to stay current in the series I HAVE to read the book. I do enjoy reading them, its just I dont have much time to do it so its easier to listen.

broken4u05

I like christopher moore from what i have read so far. The only book i have read is a dirty job. I liked that a lot

I like you -- can we be friends? :p

The Earth's Children series is my fave & Leila is sooooo into the HP books it's just amazing!

:love: Thanks, hon! Anyone who loves the Earth's Children books pretty much has Instant Lifelong Friend status with me! LOL Have you ever visited ecfans.com??? A wonderful board for discussing All Things Ayla. ;)

As for HP, I'm not sure who is the biggest HP geek in this house-- the kids or *me*! :D

I'll have to check out "Life is So Good" sometime...

LeeLi

I love books so I'll stick to what I've read recently that's good.

Fiction:
I'm currently reading Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides , it won the Pulitzer a could of years ago and certainly deserved it. The story is beautifully written and very engaging. As the title suggests it does deal with sexuality but is not particularly graphic. If you like Jodi Picult's books than you'd probably love this.

I'm also reading my way through the mysteries written by Kathy Reiker that the TV show Bones is based on. They are quite well done and remind me of Patricia Cornwell's first books.

If you like Prairie Home Companion on public radio then I highly recommend Garrison Keller's Prairie Home books, they are hysterical, quirky, and a spot on send up of small town life. Even if you've never heard of the radio show they are worth at least a flip through in the book store.

Non-Fiction:

I listening to Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert currently and it is an amazing book. I have the digital audio version from Audible.com that is read by the author and her reading voice is lovely. It's her personal travel memoir about recovering from a nasty divorce and is so interesting.

I adore Lillian Faderman's books about women's history and especially her autobiography and her most recent book "To Believe in Women".

One of my all time favorite books is "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson and also his travel books. "Short History" is about natural history and how humans came to be, I have a science background and it was still so enlightening/surprising. The science content is really well handled so the book is very enjoyable and humorous.

ETA: The HP mania around my house is totally nutty too! We have to get at least two copies to keep the peace :D

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Cool, thanks for the link! :thumbsup:

Leila would just not sit still for me to read fun *little* kid books to her like a "normal" kid until I decided to start reading HP when her older siblings visited (she was almost 4 years old & all that time I'd just keep on reading, making myself believe that she was getting something out of it even if she wasn't sitting looking at the pages) -- she was hooked in a snap & her love of books finally blossomed ... so for THAT it got my way enthusiastic seal of approval :whistle: I did of course grow to become as obsessed as any fan, though :p

Right now we're loving The Tolkein Reader poems + short stories, too :) we're actually hooked enough to enjoy learning to write our names in Elvish, LOL > http://www.starchamber.com/paracelsus/elvish/elvish-in-ten-minutes.html

arly1983

:love: Thanks, hon! Anyone who loves the Earth's Children books pretty much has Instant Lifelong Friend status with me! LOL Have you ever visited ecfans.com??? A wonderful board for discussing All Things Ayla. ;)

As for HP, I'm not sure who is the biggest HP geek in this house-- the kids or *me*! :D

I'll have to check out "Life is So Good" sometime...

My kids can't even read yet. I have no excuse for having had the HP #7 preordered since January! I am counting the days!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I'm another Earth's Children series fan. I also like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series for hilariously fun reading. :thumbsup: If you like the Stephanie Plum series, you might also like the alphabet mystery series by Sue Grafton featuring the female P.I. Kinsey Millhone, and Sara Paretsky's novels featuring the female detective V.I. Warshawski. There are some hilarious moments in Grafton and Paretsky's novels, but also darker themes/issues and some political messages, especially in Paretsky's books. For example, one of Paretsky's novels, Fire Sale, involves a fictional discount retailer that seemed to have a striking resemblance to WalMart. :whistle:

DH recently started downloading a SciFi channel series from iTunes called the Dresden Files. The show is based on books by Jim Butcher, and DH and I are slowly making our way through the novels. The series is about a Chicago-based wizard/detective for hire named Harry (lol) Dresden who is sort of like a grown up Harry Potter combined with Phillip Marlow.

OMG I didn't even know that the Dresden Files were a book series!!! I know what I'll be looking for next-- I'm already in love with the TV show!! :love:

skaterbabs

I love the Earth's Children series too.

All you HP fans need to come to Richmond for the book release. For book 6, our party was reported as the 3rd best in the country, with numbers 1 and 2 being the publisher's gigs! We had people from as far away as Germany come.

Michi

Right now I'm reading "The Well Trained Mind" and it's pretty good!
but as far fiction goes, I'm a big Dean Koontz fan.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I love the Earth's Children series too.

All you HP fans need to come to Richmond for the book release. For book 6, our party was reported as the 3rd best in the country, with numbers 1 and 2 being the publisher's gigs! We had people from as far away as Germany come.

Wow, I had no idea, Rebekah :) I used to be so "up" on HP news & I've really fallen behind since becoming a CPST :cool:

My other fave author is Stephen King.

arly1983

Has anyone ever read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon?

I am thinking of downloading it to my ipod for vacation, but it doens't quite look like something I usually go for...

BTW, Eragon and Eldest where awesome on the ipod!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC