Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

JPMA video on new Evenflo seats, Clek, and Combi Zeus

http://www.babytv.com/videos/2007-JPMA-Show-Day-1.aspx

Takes a while to watch the whole thing, but there are other baby products discussed too.
    Kathy

CPST and proud owner of Britax Regent, Britax Marathon, Safeguard GO, Evenflo Chase, Costco Scenera, and IMMI PetBuckle.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: JPMA video on new Evenflo seats, Clek, and Combi Zeus

Ok what was Combi smoking?!? Pam says right there in the interview that it's 5-22lb rf...That is just ridiculous.
    ~Mel, Ex-CPST, Triathlete & Mom of 5ReiKids + 1E!!!

I know, I caught that too. I hope she just mis-spoke and was referring to the minimum RF weight limit. Not sure about the swivel function either. And she says it stays tethered in both directions, but what good is a tether at the foot end of a RF seat?

There are 3 days worth of videos, and the thrid day features the Combi 30 infant seat.
    Kathy

CPST and proud owner of Britax Regent, Britax Marathon, Safeguard GO, Evenflo Chase, Costco Scenera, and IMMI PetBuckle.

Senior Community Member

The combi seat looks like there is lots of potential for missuse

I don't have any older kids but I REALLY want a Clek
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

I would love to play with the new Triumph, that looked cool, but Combi? Give me a break! Drives me crazy that they would be a featured product, because now they are going to have uneduated parents rushing to the store to buy that seat, and then turn their kids FF at 22 lbs, because the rep says that's when to do it!

I did like the gate adapter. We found that even the spring loaded gate left huge scratches on our wood railing. Drove me and DH nuts. I would love to see that in person. Are days 2 and 3 worth watching?
    Amanda- CRST & Mom
    J-08/01/05 & M-09/14/08

I have to say that I am impressed that the discovery is finally going to be 5pt but that its still going to be under $50. I think we all know the reason its such a good seller is because its so cheap and the fact that they are improving the seat is great.
    I thought the new combi seat looked kinda interesting. Having had one I know they're not the easiest to use but the turning thing would be good if you use it for multiple kids or like my mom who hates having the rfing seat taking up so much space.
    If it seems like I'm not making sense, it's probably just my phone

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Hmm.... The Zeus *looks* cool, but does it really only RF to 22 pounds? Also, I worry about that swivel feature. I am not sure why I worry about it, but I do.

I am still not all that impressed by the Triumph. It still has those damn tension adjustment knobs. I also don't like the red tabs for raising the harness. Maybe in person it will be better...

What the heck is that Cleanoz thing??

My last complaint-- that host is obnoxious.

Sorry if I am being overly critical. It has been a stressful day.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot20171 View Post
    Hmm.... The Zeus *looks* cool, but does it really only RF to 22 pounds?
    Reports from inside sources say that yes, as of right now it's only approved to RF to 22lbs. The instruction sheets & manuals that we've seen for it say 30lb (because isn't that a requirement or something in the FMVSS regulations or something?) but every rep that we've contacted has said that it's only approved *right now* to 22lbs.
    ~Mel, Ex-CPST, Triathlete & Mom of 5ReiKids + 1E!!!

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strollerfreak View Post
    Reports from inside sources say that yes, as of right now it's only approved to RF to 22lbs. The instruction sheets & manuals that we've seen for it say 30lb (because isn't that a requirement or something in the FMVSS regulations or something?) but every rep that we've contacted has said that it's only approved *right now* to 22lbs.
    Yup, they still haven't passed testing at 30...but the sell sheets say 30... They'd better get it together and soon!

Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    Yup, they still haven't passed testing at 30...but the sell sheets say 30... They'd better get it together and soon!

Wow. 22 pounds!?!? That's crazy low.

that goes beyond crazy to the realm of rediculous.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

CPS Fanatic

The Zeus seat looked awful Ugh...I can see parents leaving it unlocked with the little rats swiveling around merrily in the back, I can see them throwing it in a forward facing position cause it's easier

I was really fascinated by the KeyFit30. I liked the LATCH system...looked very user friendly I was annoyed they didn't specify the height limit though.

And ftr, after 30 seconds I wanted to reach through the screen and bitchslap the gal in pink

Carseat Crazy

The host made me crazy too! There is such a thing as too perky...

The Combi Zeus reminds me of the Renolux Turn-A-Tot, if it didn't work out 15 or whatever years ago what makes them think it will be good now? I'm willing to bet that the turning mechanism is hard to make with enough integrity that it will safely contain a 30lbs child and still be practical on a car seat. To me "new easy to use features"="new ways to misuse".

On the other hand, it was cool to see more of the Triumph Advance and I'm even more convinced that it's going to be an awesome seat. Well except for the 30lb RF limit, Evenflow really should do something about their low RF limits. I wonder why they don't test their seats to 35 lbs like Dorel?

CPS Advocate

I cant wait until the new triumph comes out. If it really is what it says it will be then I think it will do perfect as our spare seat. I need something cheap that can fit all our kids whenever a spare is needed(they range from newborn to 40lbs. 2 with long torsos and 2 with average/short ones lol!).
    In the video it doesnt LOOK like it is all that much bigger than the regular triumph, so I wonder how tall the top harness position will really be.
    “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes...
    That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away AND you have their shoes.”

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLi View Post
    The host made me crazy too! There is such a thing as too perky...

The Combi Zeus reminds me of the Renolux Turn-A-Tot, if it didn't work out 15 or whatever years ago what makes them think it will be good now? I'm willing to bet that the turning mechanism is hard to make with enough integrity that it will safely contain a 30lbs child and still be practical on a car seat. To me "new easy to use features"="new ways to misuse".

On the other hand, it was cool to see more of the Triumph Advance and I'm even more convinced that it's going to be an awesome seat. Well except for the 30lb RF limit, Evenflow really should do something about their low RF limits. I wonder why they don't test their seats to 35 lbs like Dorel?
    It's true...Combi is a Japanese brand, and they have swiveling seats there... I asked a mom here about hers, and she said it was broken, but she kept using it anyway (I hope it wasn't TOO broken! lol)...she liked Britaxes here, better.

22 lbs is the 12 month dummy...it's a big tall heavy seat as it is, so I guess it just plum over-rotates with the 34 pound 3 yo dummy... maybe if it had rigid LATCH it would pass?

Someone asked at Lifesavers during the new product sessions why they won't allow their seats to higher weights, since we KNOW they test them with the 34 pound dummy, and Evenflo and Graco just acted like that was a dumb idea, 30 pounds is 'enough' and they ain't changing till someone (government, I guess) makes them change, was the impression they gave.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot20171 View Post
    Wow. 22 pounds!?!? That's crazy low.
    Yeah, my 6 month olds would have had to be turned forward facing in that seat
    "If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Severn Suzuki, age 12

BabyTV'er

Hi Everyone!

I'm Jenn, associate producer, for BabyTV's JPMA program. We were so happy to see that you guys watched the show and enjoyed some of the products! I wanted to let everyone know that we will be broadcasting from the ABC Kids Expo in Las Vegas - Sept 8-11 This will be in the same format as our JPMA show but the ABC show is twice as big so we hope to have even more fun and exciting products for you! Plus we'll have 2 hosts so that the perkiness factor doesn't put you on overload!!! lol

I would LOVE to hear from you the viewer on what you would like to see from the show! Are there any products that you'd like us to focus on!

We really hope that you guys will spend some time on the website. You can post on our message boards and keep abreast of all the latest happenings in the BabyTV family. Oh and btw, BabyTV is part of the BabyUniverse family and right now if you buy something at babyuniverse and register for BabyTV, you can get a cash rebate on your purchase! Details are on the Babytv homepage.

anyways, thanks again for checking out our show! Please email me anytime or call me 561-277-6406 and tell me what you thought of the show!

Have a great day!

Jenn
    Jennifer@babytv.com