WWYD booster

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Child is a few weeks short of 9yo, 51", 65#. Vehicle is 2001 Subaru Legacy wagon, and child rides in it maybe 1x-2x/month. Seat is a Sunshine Kids Monterey booster. Options are limited due to husbandly stubbornness and my own feeling that this isn't a battle worth picking.

Outboard with back on or center backless (there are headrests and a shoulder belt)?

I think center backless, but I'm having a hard time taking the back off because sometimes I'm just a bit paranoid.

ADS

NVMBR02

Does your dd have a preference? My dd is only 7 but begs to be in a backless booster like her friends. She is staying in a HB for now, but I imagine by 8-9 I will probably let her switch to a backless,

jdubsm

I took the back off the Monterey for one of my twins. She'll be nine on Tuesday and weighs 60lbs. The seatbelt fits her great. With the back up almost to the top, it was causing a real bad blind spot for me so this is safer for all of us. Her sister wants to ride backless too now but she's only 50lbs and doesn't have as much upper body strength as her sister so I'm going to try to hold her off a little bit.

Do you want to buy an inexpensive nbb for the 2nd vehicle?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I already own a Literider as a spare. I want the Monterey in husband's car because he won't remember to buckle it and even though *I* feel like whacking him in the head with a booster sometimes, I'd feel better with the booster LATCHed in his vehicle.

Daughter definitely prefers both center and backless.

Her upper body strength is excellent (although I never thought of using it as a criteria to go backless) -- she was literally off the charts in situps and pullups at the school physical education test.

Kat_Momof3

I think she means in regards to the ability to sit straight, even when tired/sleeping, without the extra support from the back.

here's a ponder, though... what about switching her booster... so the monterey goes in your car and the compass in your dh's... he could fold it and put it in the back when she's not with him.

jdubsm

It's because my dd has cerebral palsy so her upper body strength is not as great as her sister. She's more prone to slump when she gets tired so the back supports her better.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
here's a ponder, though... what about switching her booster... so the monterey goes in your car and the compass in your dh's... he could fold it and put it in the back when she's not with him.

He's not interested in that. And honestly (whip me with a wet noodle if you must), I'm not interested in arguing it with him. If she was 4yo and 32#, I'd insist he do everything necessary to keep her in a highbacked booster if not a harness. For a child who is nearly 9yo and 65#, for short rides once or twice a month (no sleeping), I'm not going to pick this battle.

Kat_Momof3

no wet noodle whipping :love:

I totally agree... just figured I'd throw it out as a possibility... in case you hadn't thought of it.

I'd just go backless in the center, then, and be done wtih it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC