A question from the peanut gallery about the original radian foot

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, so I have been doing car seats for 18 years, but, BUT there was a 5 year break in there. That is when the radian first came out. Did the first ones not have the tab on the foot? You know, the one that LOCKS the foot on the base?

ADS

Twinklefae

I have no idea when the Radian came out, but mine is 2006 DOM and has the old Canadian weight limits of 30lbs rf and 48lbs ff. It has the tab.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Well weird. I had 3 of us techs there, none could find a tab. I will uninstall (don't worry, just for pics) and check again.

NannyMom

A woman I worked with, she's been doing seats for 25yrs. When the Radians changed in 2008, she seemed to think the old version didn't have that tab. So maybe the originals didn't.

sunnymw

I had a 2007 or 2008 Radian80 and it had the old style foot with a tab.

as a matter of fact, I think it was not as obvious, because I didn't realize there was anything to lock until I removed my seat once and the foot stayed stuck in the seat bight :eek: I was like... oops... :eek:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The very first ones, I think, did not. (I've read of it on the board.) They were quickly redesigned with the tab.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
So how did it stay on?:confused:

It didn't!

I have one of these tab-less 65 models in my training collection. Not sure what the DOM is but it's a crash tested demo seat that I got from SK years ago when the Radian first became available. It doesn't have a freakin' tab and when I got it, I could not, for the life of me, get it installed without the darn foot detaching. That seat drove me CRAZY! I always thought it was a fluke or that the tab was missing because of something that happened when they crashed it. I never knew that original Radian models were all missing this handy little [necessary] feature!

JOII

I dont know when the first DOMS are, but my original Radian is DOM 02/07 and the foot has the tab.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, I sure wish I knew this little tidbit prior to purchasing this seat in swap. I tend only use seats RFing. I lent this to a forum member here's friend and installed it FFing. Then I bring it home to throw in RFing and the dang foot keeps coming off. What a pain!

Dillipop

My seat has a DOM of 02/2006 and it doesn't have the tab. It doesn't even have a place for the tab to go if I were to switch to a newer boot. I found this out when I met up with some ladies from here a year or so ago. Totally explains why I had such a hard time getting it to stay on.

I found that if I jammed it on, it would stay and the seat was installed securely. It was only when I was taking it out that I would find the boot loose or off. My seat also is one of the originals that has a 6 year expiration. I will not be sad to see it expire next winter.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, didn't know about the 6 year expiration on the older ones either. Geez, I feel stupid.

Dillipop

Ok, didn't know about the 6 year expiration on the older ones either. Geez, I feel stupid.

To be fair, SK did retroact them to the 7 year expiration (I think) and possibly the 8 year that they now have? I just don't like it enough to try and get it past the 6 year mark.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I see using it the the end. I will just have to mess with it more. For now, I an going to test the TFP. I need more time with it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My 1/06 Radian has no tab, and a 7 year expiration. I never ever heard of one with a 6 year expiration :confused:
And, er, sometimes the boot won't come off at ALL...I've been in both situations with mine (won't come off, won't stay on... not that it's a problem when it's installed, but I know you tend to shuffle your seats faster than the rest of us change underwear, so ya, that's gotta be annoying :p)

Dillipop

My 1/06 Radian has no tab, and a 7 year expiration. I never ever heard of one with a 6 year expiration :confused:

I just dug out my manual, thinking maybe I wasn't remembering correctly. The manual that came with my seat is copyright 2005. Page 7- Do not use restraint if it is older than six years. Manufacture date is on back of restraint.

This was 5 years ago, but I remember the FAQ on their site didn't match up (it was stating 7 years) starting around the summer of 2006 and then the newer manuals showed up with 7. SK did say that the older ones were ok with the 7 year, but again, I'm ready for mine to be gone, so I'll stick with what's in my manual.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh wow, maybe I missed the 6 because 7 was around so early, even only on the webpage. Uh, yeah, I am not in love with the idea of using mine any longer and won't mind if it expires sooner rather than later (though since it and Leah were 'born' the same month, I do have a soft spot in my heart for it).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC