which one: Safety 1st Air Protect Complete Air vs Britax Marathon 65 Convertible

U

Unregistered

Safety 1st Air Protect Complete Air vs Britax Marathon 65 Convertible
I would like the pros and cons of these two seats, a good comparison and a clear winner for what to buy for my 4 month old who is quickly outgrowing his bucket seat? Or is there another one I should seriously be considering?? Thanks

ADS

Chila88

Also, what are your baby's current height and weight stats? Where do they fall in the percentiles? Are they likely to be quite tall? Long legs? Long torso?

Unless there is a clear compatibility issue with one of these seats and your particular vehicle....you are probably going to struggle getting a clear recomendation. They are both good, safe, often recommended seats on this site....a lot of it comes down to what your rear facing goals are (ie how long do you hope to rear face your child for?) and personal preference.

I have a Marathon65 and LOVE it. I love the quick easy install, and love the high quality feel that you get with a Britax seat. That being said, you pay for that. The Air Protect will give you more bang for your buck, in terms of height limits.....but in my personal opinion, the twisty straps, lack of harness pads, and cheaper feeling cover deter me from this seat. But that is all personal opinion. There are lots and lots of people on this site who love this seat as well!

Have you seen either in person, or tried your child in either? Have you had a chance to try either in your vehicle?

I'm sure a tech or two will chime in soon with some more information once you post a few more details about your vehicle situation and baby's stats. :)

U

Unregistered

Safety 1st Air Protect Complete Air vs Britax Marathon 65 Convertible
I would like the pros and cons of these two seats, a good comparison and a clear winner for what to buy for my 4 month old who is quickly outgrowing his bucket seat? Or is there another one I should seriously be considering?? Thanks

we've got a toyota sequoia - baby sits in the middle seat, the middle row.
baby is in the 90-95th percentile at 4.5 months, so 19lbs & around 27inches.
This is our first child and not sure what to look for, other than a safe comfortable ride for our child - so please let us know some of the great features either of these seats have - or any other seat you think we should consider.
We have not had the baby try out any of the seats yet, since we do not live close to a babies r us -hence why I am trying to do my homework first, so that we only have to go to the store once.
Thanks for all the input.

Emi's Mommy

I also have a 90%tile for length baby and I went with the Complete Air for it's tall shell. Emi is quite comfortable in it and I found the install in my car quite easy. I personally haven't found the straps twisty.

mam521

As Chila mentioned, what are your goals for rear facing your baby? Here, we hope to see kids rear face as long as possible, long past the bare minimum and until the RF limit of your car seat. Your baby is 500% safer remaining rear facing, at the very least until age 2. Little ones have disproportionate head to body ratios and ossification doesn't start to really strengthen up their bones until closer to that 2 year mark. A severe enough crash leaves them succeptable to severe neck injury or even internal decapitation if forward facing at too young of an age.

Britax is a premium seat...it has nice covers, ease of use features (built in lock offs, premium LATCH connectors), approved for RF tethering and is easy to install. However, it does NOT have a high RF weight rating at this time. 35lbs is all she wrote, which seems fine, but there are taller shells out there as your munchkin might hit the RF height limit before weight.

The Complete Air will give you more bang for your buck as mentioned. It does have a taller shell, it has a continuous loop harness (its one big loop rather than 2 dedicated straps which some people love) and of course it has the air filled wings. They aren't my favorite seat, but again, thats just personal opinion.

Have you thought about a True Fit? Its a highly recommended seat on here. It has a removable headrest if your little guy is short enough (making it easier to install and give the passengers ahead some leg room). It has a no-rethread, continuous loop harness. Its pretty cushy. There is a regular TF and a TF Premier which has an anti-rebound foot to help with overrotation in a crash event. Most people like it because it allows easier access to the harness adjuster strap ;). This seat is a 35lb RF limit (taller shell though), 65lb FF limit and averages $150-$200. Its available at BRU, Zellers.

Another recommended seat is the Graco My Ride 65. It rear faces to 40lbs, forward faces to 65lbs and is pretty cushy. It has built in cup holders. You have to rethread the harness but not a huge deal and the entire base needs to be on the vehicle seat. Pricing on this one ranges from $125 (IF you can find one on rollback at WalMart) up to around $220 and is available at a number of retailers (BRU, Zellers, Sears, WalMart).

Another to consider is a SK Radian, but I suspect you'd have issues in an SUV with alloting enough space for the front passengers at a proper recline angle. This has the highest RF weight on the market at 45lbs, FF weight limit of 65lbs. Its considered the "skinny seat" as you can often get 3 across in a vehicle with this seat. The bottom folds for travel. Its the only other one on the market approved for RF tethering if thats what you're into. There are 3 Radian varieties you'll see out there - Radian 65, XT and Premier and they average around the $300-$330 range and are available at most higher end baby retailers (E-Children, Kacz' Kids, and one model at Sears). Or, you can check out www.snugglebugz.ca for this seat and the Britax seats - excellent customer service and shipping :thumbsup:

If you have some of those retailers available where you are, I'd take your little guy in and strap him into some seats that are more commonly available. See how they fit and see what features you like or don't like. When you think you like one, see if the store will allow you to try out the demo model in your vehicle to see if you can get a decent installation. The safest carseats aren't the most expensive but rather the ones that are installed correctly and used properly each and every time your child rides in it.

Oh, and I'm not sure of the Sequoia, but if your infant seat is installed centre second row, make sure if its a LATCH install that you aren't "borrowing" the outboard anchors unless approved in your vehicle manual. Majority aren't allowed, making a seatbelt installation necessary.

Any other questions, I can guarantee someone will be eager to assist you with! And, you may still get some better vehicle specific recommentations :)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Britax is a premium seat...it has nice covers, ease of use features (built in lock offs, premium LATCH connectors), approved for RF tethering and is easy to install. However, it does NOT have a high RF weight rating at this time. 35lbs is all she wrote, which seems fine, but there are taller shells out there as your munchkin might hit the RF height limit before weight.
hmmmmm, my MA65 with a DOM of 12/15/2010 has a 40lb rf limit.

If you are interested in the Sunshine Kids Radian you can check out a thread here about compatibility but it is quite long now. But you could read up on it. Here is another thread that has tips on how to get a tight install.

For a rear-facing seat, the thing I like the most about the Britax and Sunshine Kids seats is that they tether RF. For me that is a huge selling feature. There is also the True Fit rebound.

For many carseats is a personal decision. My least favorite is many peoples favorite seat and the one that I see the most. People tend to like what they get unless they research it more and find out there is more out there. I would suggest you look at the ones that have been mentioned to you already. Read up about them, try to see them in person so you can play with them and get a feel for what you would really like to have in a seat.

Last edited:

mam521

hmmmmm, my MA65 with a DOM of 12/15/2010 has a 45lb rf limit.

Hmmm....just rechecked the Britax Canada website...40lbs on Marathon, Boulevard, Advocate...:whistle: LOL

For many carseats is a personal decision. My least favorite is many peoples favorite seat and the one that I see the most. People tend to like what they get unless they research it more and find out there is more out there. I would suggest you look at the ones that have been mentioned to you already. Read up about them, try to see them in person so you can play with them and get a feel for what you would really like to have in a seat.

Amen to that, sista! I was all Britax and still love the seats I have (great marketers I must admit), but I gave others a chance and was pleasantly surprised. My Nauti is one of the only properly used, super tight install seats in our dayhome lady's van :D and I am pretty sure My Ride will be simple so it too has a high percent on the proper usage scale!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Amen to that, sista! I was all Britax and still love the seats I have (great marketers I must admit), but I gave others a chance and was pleasantly surprised. My Nauti is one of the only properly used, super tight install seats in our dayhome lady's van :D and I am pretty sure My Ride will be simple so it too has a high percent on the proper usage scale!

sorry, I meant to say 40lb rf limit not 45lb :eek:
I edited my previous post. That was a oops on my part. I knew it was 40lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC