HORRIBLE booster seat riders. What to do???

#1babysitter

I got the Monterey yesterday after a hard decision in deciding between another harnessed seat or a HB booster. The main kids that will ride in it are two 8 yo boys from different families but they are friends so I sometimes have both boys. I got the Monterey because I am starting to babysit for more families, some with kids who are booster age. Today was the first day both of the 8 yo boys rode in it and I am starting to think I made the wrong decision. They both are HORRIBLE booster riders. They kept leaning forward and on the side wings and putting the shoulder part of the belt behind them. I only have one Monterey so they take turns between who rides in it and the Frontier. C rode in it first. We drove somewhere which took 15 minutes and I literally had to tell him 10 times to sit properly. I thought J might ride in it better so he rode in it the next time and same thing! He was a little better than C but not good enough for me. Should I return it and get a Frontier 85?? Help!!

ADS

andre149

What are they riding in with their parents? Honestly, at 8, I would work on booster training them if they're not harnessed in mom/dad's car, because obviously they're not safe. I know you want them safe in your car, and if you think they're not mature enough to booster train I would get a harnessed seat... BUT, if they're just not used to having to sit properly I would be more inclined to work on booster training them in your car for their overall safety.

urchin_grey

My friend's son did the shoulder belt behind the back thing. She flat out told him the truth about what would happen to his "guts" if they got into a wreck. He never did it again. Just sayin. :whistle:

SignCuer

Same thing with my 2 cousins who are 6 and 8.. they are in nothing with their parents... with me, in the beginning I had both of them in booster seats which ended horribly... had to force myself to get 2 harnessed seats (Frontier85 and Nautilus) and train them from the beginning... it took me 2 weeks. Then finally both of them got to booster training which went out well after a while.. now they are in Pkwys in their parents car... :thumbsup: and one is in Pkwy in my car, and the 6 year old chose (alright, demanded :p) to remain harnessed in my car so she is in the Nautilus.

luckyclov

My friend's son did the shoulder belt behind the back thing.
An acquaintance's son used to do that as well. At 5 years old, he was in a low-speed off-center head on crash. He'll likely never walk again or lead a completely independent life.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Developmentally typical 8yos can be taught how to use boosters properly. IMO, it would be better to teach them than to harness them.

#1babysitter

What are they riding in with their parents? Honestly, at 8, I would work on booster training them if they're not harnessed in mom/dad's car, because obviously they're not safe. I know you want them safe in your car, and if you think they're not mature enough to booster train I would get a harnessed seat... BUT, if they're just not used to having to sit properly I would be more inclined to work on booster training them in your car for their overall safety.

One rides in a LB booster and one in nothing with their parents. I didn't think of that so it makes sense to keep the booster and just booster train them. I know for a fact one of them does not ride safely in his parents cars. He is in a LB but he doesn't use it properly at all. He pushes it forward and sits on the regular seat with his legs hanging over the booster and the seat belt around the booster, not himself. And of course his parents don't say anything to him. I think it's just they aren't used to having to sit properly. If I keep the booster and train them to ride in it properly they might ride properly in their parents cars as well. Or hopefully. Their parents won't tell them to sit properly at all though. Which is the complete opposite of what I do. Thanks for bringing up that point!

I explain the shoulder belt importance to them.

Ugh I feel your pain 100%. I have these issues with my nanny kids because they can swing from the ceiling in their parents cars...it feels like I have to retrain somr of them every week.

My personal trick that helps a lot is that I lock out the seatbelt on them. That stops the leaning forward and a lot of the other goofing off/reaching out to poke their siblings etc. HB boosters are definitely better for these kids.

When they are older I don't desitate to go into a little more detail about why they are sitting in it. I have told Preston that if he doesn't sit properly and someone crashes into us he will probably go to Heaven. I was at my wits end and felt mean after saying it but he's been a great booster rider ever since and even locks out HIS OWN seatbelt! (he just turned 9 in January). He will ask me to get a toy off the floor instead of reaching for it now because he is too scared to lean forward now as he knows it's important to sit properly. I think that's good... fear is a good thing in this situation.

Anna (just turned 9 this week) has started fighting it and saying she's not a baby etc. etc. and again, she's old enough and I told her about how the seatbelt will hurt her belly REALLY badly in an accident if she's not sitting in it. I even sat her in the seat in a parking lot to show her how it fit without the booster and how it would be pushed on her belly in an accident. She seems to understand now and isn't giving me trouble.

I'm a believer in kids needng more of an explanation than adults ever give them. I think explaining things to kids can stop and prevent a lot of bad behavior. I have worked for many, many families and the badly behaved kids are the ones who have parents that just give them orders, never listen and never believe the child deserves an explanation. Have you tried nicely explaining why they are in a booster?

Reactions: nmb

skaterbabs

Developmentally typical 8yos can be taught how to use boosters properly. IMO, it would be better to teach them than to harness them.

I agree. And I would lock the seatbelt in your car if possible until they get the message. Also, at 8 they are old enough to grasp just how serious an injury can be.

Twinklefae

I agree. And I would lock the seatbelt in your car if possible until they get the message. Also, at 8 they are old enough to grasp just how serious an injury can be.

I agree. And I find 8 year old boys respond well to gore. Unless they are unusually sensitive, the explanation has to be indepth.

babyherder

Tell them why they need the seat. Then tell them the rules for sitting in it. Every time a rule is broken (a child isn't sitting right) its not safe and you have to pull the car over until everyone is sitting correctly/safely again. I did it on the way to the playground with a 6 year old and 9 year old. Only took one trip.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I say show them the crash videos. Not the real life ones, the ones with a dummy but so they get the idea. My kids have seen them and they know not to lean over (I do remind them occasionally) and certainly to always wear the belt and wear it properly. Plus, they know exactly why they are in boosters and when they can be out (my 8yo knows how to tell if he passes the 5-step test and actually did in one car).

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Do they have any behavioral issues? Honestly, I would tell them I'm not driving them anywhere until they can sit properly. If they acted out while driving, I would pull over somewhere and explain why we are going home or whatever and do it. They're old enough to understand the dangers.

It sounds to me like they're just trying to walk all over you because they know it bothers you. I deal with this with 15 year olds I drive to hockey (it is ridiculous) so I get that. I literally do not move until they are buckled with the shoulder belt in front of them. The second they move it/unbuckle, I pull over. Oh and I tell them crash stories. After the second week, they stopped. :twocents:

#1babysitter

Ugh I feel your pain 100%. I have these issues with my nanny kids because they can swing from the ceiling in their parents cars...it feels like I have to retrain somr of them every week.

My personal trick that helps a lot is that I lock out the seatbelt on them. That stops the leaning forward and a lot of the other goofing off/reaching out to poke their siblings etc. HB boosters are definitely better for these kids.

When they are older I don't desitate to go into a little more detail about why they are sitting in it. I have told Preston that if he doesn't sit properly and someone crashes into us he will probably go to Heaven. I was at my wits end and felt mean after saying it but he's been a great booster rider ever since and even locks out HIS OWN seatbelt! (he just turned 9 in January). He will ask me to get a toy off the floor instead of reaching for it now because he is too scared to lean forward now as he knows it's important to sit properly. I think that's good... fear is a good thing in this situation.

Anna (just turned 9 this week) has started fighting it and saying she's not a baby etc. etc. and again, she's old enough and I told her about how the seatbelt will hurt her belly REALLY badly in an accident if she's not sitting in it. I even sat her in the seat in a parking lot to show her how it fit without the booster and how it would be pushed on her belly in an accident. She seems to understand now and isn't giving me trouble.

I'm a believer in kids needng more of an explanation than adults ever give them. I think explaining things to kids can stop and prevent a lot of bad behavior. I have worked for many, many families and the badly behaved kids are the ones who have parents that just give them orders, never listen and never believe the child deserves an explanation. Have you tried nicely explaining why they are in a booster?

Same with these boys! Especially one of them. His parents let him do WHATEVER he wants, and they wonder why he doesn't listen to them! So when it comes to riding in the car, he is very unsafe. I tried locking the seat belt but it didn't help that much, not sure why. I have explained to both boys multiple times why they have to ride in a booster in my car and they definitely understand. I totally agree with you when you say kids need more of an explanation than adults ever give them. When the parents of the boy I mentioned above need him to do something they just give him orders. So when his mom said he needed to sit in the LB booster in her car and he said why, she just said because you need to. I on the other hand actually explain to him why he needs to and that it makes him safe. I will show them the crash test videos if they don't get better. Might be the only way. The thing is, it's not that they don't want to ride in the boosters. It's just that they don't ride in them properly. They really don't mind riding in them, they just don't know how to the right way, even after me explaining it to them 10 times.

Do they have any behavioral issues? Honestly, I would tell them I'm not driving them anywhere until they can sit properly. If they acted out while driving, I would pull over somewhere and explain why we are going home or whatever and do it. They're old enough to understand the dangers.

It sounds to me like they're just trying to walk all over you because they know it bothers you. I deal with this with 15 year olds I drive to hockey (it is ridiculous) so I get that. I literally do not move until they are buckled with the shoulder belt in front of them. The second they move it/unbuckle, I pull over. Oh and I tell them crash stories. After the second week, they stopped. :twocents:

No they don't. Sometimes I have to drive them to run errands for the parents. But today I did do that. I had both boys for awhile and needed to run some errands with them. We went to 2 stores. During all of the driving I was constantly telling whichever boy was in the booster to sit properly and stop leaning forward. We were supposed to go to Adventure Landing after the errands but we didn't. I got so tired of telling them to sit the right way that they lost that fun trip. I really don't think they are doing it on purpose because they know it bothers me. I highly doubt they know it bothers me to be honest. It's a lot worse when both of them are in the car. They are constantly messing around and poking each other and reaching for things. When I dropped one boy back at his house and continued on with the other boy to his house, he rode properly the whole way back!

Kat_Momof3

the next time you take them.... lay down the law... tell them the rules for riding in a booster, tell them why they are rules, and tell them that if they break them, they will have 2 chances... 1 is a warning... 2 means they lose something (tv time or something equally valued)

I get graphic when I tell kids what can happen (well, graphic for kids... I don't go into blood and gore and all that, but I tell them exactly what will happen if they don't wear their seatbelt and sit in the booster properly)

I'd also offer a reward at the beginning... the destination (if it's a good one), a stick of gum, whatever. I have flat out told my kids that... if they aren't mature enough to use a booster properly, they aren't mature enough for gum, for going out to eat, to a movie, you name it.

#1babysitter

the next time you take them.... lay down the law... tell them the rules for riding in a booster, tell them why they are rules, and tell them that if they break them, they will have 2 chances... 1 is a warning... 2 means they lose something (tv time or something equally valued)

I get graphic when I tell kids what can happen (well, graphic for kids... I don't go into blood and gore and all that, but I tell them exactly what will happen if they don't wear their seatbelt and sit in the booster properly)

I'd also offer a reward at the beginning... the destination (if it's a good one), a stick of gum, whatever. I have flat out told my kids that... if they aren't mature enough to use a booster properly, they aren't mature enough for gum, for going out to eat, to a movie, you name it.

That's exactly what I'm going to do. I never really thought of rewarding them or making them lose something so I will do that. It's a good idea because I know they were super upset when we didn't go to Adventure Landing the other day.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
No they don't. Sometimes I have to drive them to run errands for the parents. But today I did do that. I had both boys for awhile and needed to run some errands with them. We went to 2 stores. During all of the driving I was constantly telling whichever boy was in the booster to sit properly and stop leaning forward. We were supposed to go to Adventure Landing after the errands but we didn't. I got so tired of telling them to sit the right way that they lost that fun trip. I really don't think they are doing it on purpose because they know it bothers me. I highly doubt they know it bothers me to be honest. It's a lot worse when both of them are in the car. They are constantly messing around and poking each other and reaching for things. When I dropped one boy back at his house and continued on with the other boy to his house, he rode properly the whole way back!

So, they aren't just pushing buttons, they do know how to sit properly, but they are just too distracted by each other. They understand why they need the booster, you've explained the rules. More talking is not going to help at this point. Just pull over and sit silently when they start poking at each other. Say NOTHING. When they are sitting quietly, thank them for calming down and sitting properly and drive on. Lather, rinse repeat.

emandbri

What kind of car to you have? Can you separate them? If you can I would do that and lock the seat belt.

#1babysitter

So, they aren't just pushing buttons, they do know how to sit properly, but they are just too distracted by each other. They understand why they need the booster, you've explained the rules. More talking is not going to help at this point. Just pull over and sit silently when they start poking at each other. Say NOTHING. When they are sitting quietly, thank them for calming down and sitting properly and drive on. Lather, rinse repeat.

EXACTLY! They are just way to distracted by each other. I will do the pulling over and see if it works.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC