Tether Anchor Weight Limits – Honda, Acura, Mercedes & Ferrari aren’t competative in one important area of child occupan

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Tether Anchor Weight Limits – Honda, Acura, Mercedes & Ferrari aren’t competative in one important area of child occupan

First and foremost, I’d like to say that we’ve been heaping a lot of well-deserved praise on Honda lately. Darren and I have both had the pleasure of reviewing and reporting on the new 2011 Odyssey.  Additionally, there was the recent release of stellar crash test results for this newest generation Ody from NHTSA & the IIHS which prompted yet [...]

Please click here to read more at CarseatBlog.Com and please leave us comments at the Blog!

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Re: Tether Anchor Weight Limits – Honda, Acura, Mercedes & Ferrari aren’t competative in one important area of child occ

So, in the U.S. folks actually discontinue use of the top tether at 45#? (or 48# for many others, etc.) The lower anchors, yes it makes sense to follow that as it is what is actually keeping the seat in the vehicle.

I am uncertain why anyone would do this? The tether is reducing the forward movement of the top of the seat, but it's not what holding the seat in the vehicle. So, it's not dangerous to have it attached and in fact should still do some good.

In Canada, we have no option, so if your seat is FF and harnessed, you use the top tether no matter what your child weighs.

sunnymw

Re: Tether Anchor Weight Limits – Honda, Acura, Mercedes & Ferrari aren’t competative in one important area of child occ

TG, everyone I know still uses the TT over the weight limit. The theory being that, although it can break in an accident, it will be after it has already done its job?

Shanora

In Canada, we have no option, so if your seat is FF and harnessed, you use the top tether no matter what your child weighs.

Thus the problem if the TT are only rated to 40lbs.....*sigh*

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador

I missed that the post said to take the discussion to the blog, so I have done so...sorry Darren for discussing here.

April

Techo, there is a thread in the tech forum. I'm on my phone so I can't see your usergroup, but you are a tech aren't you? Have you read the thread there?
Posted via Mobile Device

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
April said:
Techo, there is a thread in the tech forum. I'm on my phone so I can't see your usergroup, but you are a tech aren't you? Have you read the thread there?
Posted via Mobile Device

Nope, I'm not. Too bad, I'd love to read that thread!

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician

So, in the U.S. folks actually discontinue use of the top tether at 45#? (or 48# for many others, etc.)

No, but apparently we're supposed to. (At 40# nonetheless.)

I'll take it to the blog later, when I have more than 4.3 seconds :p

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador

No, but apparently we're supposed to. (At 40# nonetheless.)

I'll take it to the blog later, when I have more than 4.3 seconds :p
You can read my post over at the blog. I address the discontinuing use at 40#.

I realize the blog isn't a great place to have a discussion as you can't put spaces between paragraphs, you can't quote people, you don't get notified when there is a post, etc. It's really just comments.

April

Techno, I encourage you to join the CPSP List Yahoo Group. Good stuff over there and you don't have to be a tech to join. Just request access and they'll let you in. There's a huge debate going on over this, even amongst the "best of the best" in the CPS world.
Posted via Mobile Device

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC