Booster or RSTV for travel?

cristalyte

I'll be traveling at least three times this year with my three children (currently 5 yrs, 2.5 yrs, and 7 months). They currently sit (respectively) in a Graco Nautilus, Radian, and Britax Companion. I also have a Cosco Scenera that I use for travel. I would like to be able to fit 3 across in the back of a 1997 Nissan Maxima and/or 2000 Toyota Avalon (since these are the cars at our destination). I believe both cars DON'T have tether and I'm pretty sure the middle seat only has a lap belt. With that in mind, what would be safer in an outboard spot? A booster like the Parkway? or the RSTV? Would I be able to do 3 across with the Parkway, Radian, and Scenera? I like the convenience of transporting an RSTV but the Parkway would be something that my 5yo can grow into in a year for full-time use. Would I be able to pack the back of the Parkway and carry-on the bottom as I've seen suggested of the Turbobooster? Would a Compass B510 be a better option for travel? Could it fit in the overhead bin and fit 3 across with the Radian and Scenera? Tell me what you think! Thanks!

ADS

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would go with the vest. It never expires so later on the 3y can use it. You can pack it in a carry-on.

I would use the radian ff for the 3y on the plane and the infant seat or scerena rf for the baby on the plane.

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

cristalyte

The directions for the RSTV say it needs a lap AND shoulder belt. The tether needs to be used if you're only using a lap belt. Thus, in the cars I need to use the vest in it would need to sit in one of the side seats as the rear middle only has lap (and the car has no tethers).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The RSTV is a wearable five point harness, so while there is no shell offering any SIP, there is the SIP in the vest. It's fine with a lap and shoulder belt outboard.

What seats are going on the plane?

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That will work. Can you buy tickets so you don't have to worry about endangering others with a lap baby?

Wendy

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
cristalyte said:
I think I'm taking the Radian for my 2.5 year old and the Scenera for my lap infant in the hope that I'll score an extra seat on the plane for him.

If baby doesn't get a seat I would put the raidan in the overhead compartment and use the scerena for the 2.5y. What's the 2.5y weigh? Could she even rf?

cristalyte

If baby doesn't get a seat I would put the raidan in the overhead compartment and use the scerena for the 2.5y. What's the 2.5y weigh? Could she even rf?

I think my 2.5 year old is around 30 lbs. She's been forward facing in the Radian but I think I'm going to rear-face it again. I wasn't planning on rear-facing her on the plane though. Is that what you're suggesting?

babyherder

I'd rf her in the car so you don't have to worry about the lack of top tethers. I'd rf her in your car, too, cause its safer. I'd do whatever is more comfortable on the plane.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC