Question Booster Seat Recommendation Needed

U

Unregistered

Hello! When my DD#1 was 7 months old I posted here needed a recommendation for a convertible seat since she had reached the weight limit on her infant car seat. It was so helpful and gave me such a peace of mind to not just feel like I was picking a car seat at random. We ended up getting, I think it was made by Fisher Price or something but it was the exact same car seat as a Britax, or something like that. ANYWAY! :) My DD#2 is now 7 months and approaching the weight limit as well on the infant car seat. We will be moving her into the convertible seat rear facing soon, and I need a booster seat recommendation for DD#1. She is 4years 3 months, 40lbs. We have an Oldsmobile Intrigue. I guess maybe I would like a recommendation for a top of the line, middle of the line, and low end. Normally $$ would be a big factor, but we are going to use tax return $ on it. Still, there are lots of things we need that tax return for...:/ We do a lot of traveling, so I want something comfortable for distances, napping, etc...
Thank you so very much!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Do you think she'll sit properly in a booster? While four years AND 40 pounds is the bare minimum recommendation, most four year olds cannot sit properly for the entire ride.

I'd probably look at a combination seat like the Evenflo Maestro (bottom of the line, will only harness seven more pounds, but $80), the Graco Nautilus (middle, 65 pound harness limit, 18.5" top slots, 100 pounds as a high back booster to 21" and a backless booster), and the Britax Frontier 85 ($280, 20" top slots, 85 pound harness limit, 23" and 120 pounds as a high back booster).

Wendy

U

Unregistered

I guess I should clarify (I don't know what all the right terminology)...I was thinking a booster seat with a back and a 5-point harness (that could be removed later and use just the shoulder strap when she is older??). I'm assuming there is such a thing? Basically what we purchase now we need to have work for several years. We can't purchase another car seat and then a year or so from now get a booster, if that makes sense??

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That's a combination seat. A booster seat uses just the seatbelt to hold both the seat and the child in.

The three I mentioned are combination seats, though the Evenflo is outgrown about the same time for both. However its price tag makes it an attractive seat, along with the high top slots and 50 pound weight limit.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks! Do you know anything about the KeyFit Strada Booster by Chicco? I saw on the description that it has "more EPS foam than most."

Kat_Momof3

oh, and remember that your convertible seat will expire 6yrs from the date of manufacture... so you may need to get another convertible seat in a year or two.

snoopy5386

I would check the expiration of your current convertible. You might be better off buying the baby a new seat and leaving your older one in her seat. That is what I chose to do - we got my 10 month old a new seat since my dd4's seat expires in 4/12. Then you can just get your 4 yo a booster when the time comes. They can be had for around $50.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks! Do you know anything about the KeyFit Strada Booster by Chicco? I saw on the description that it has "more EPS foam than most."

More or less EPS foam has not been shown to do anything (there are seats without that pass testing). It's also a booster, which is not an ideal option.

Wendy

Leche Mami

I would check the expiration of your current convertible. You might be better off buying the baby a new seat and leaving your older one in her seat. That is what I chose to do - we got my 10 month old a new seat since my dd4's seat expires in 4/12. Then you can just get your 4 yo a booster when the time comes. They can be had for around $50.

That's what I would do also. Buy a new convertible seat that will keep DD2 rear-facing as long as possible (minimum if two years, preferably to age 3 or 4) and keep DD1 in her current seat untill she outgrows it or it expires. Then, see where you are at and what you need.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
How does your oldest fit in the britax? If she has tons of room, buying another convertible makes since. If she is close to the top slots then, buying her a new seat and giving the baby the convertible makes since.

I agree with Wendy's combo seat recommendations if you go this way.

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

U

Unregistered

That all makes sense. I'll see how DD1 fits in the convertible tomorrow. I know weight wise it goes up to 80lbs! Maybe we'll look at going with a new convertible first. Thanks so much!!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It has to be a Radian if it goes to 80 pounds. Those are the only ones that do. They're not Fisher Price, though. FP was made by Britax.

Let us know what it is.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC