Chest clip vs none

smackeen

I was wondering why our (canada, usa) have chest clips and (some) european seats do not.

The clips are a pre-crash positioner right? They are meant to keep the straps on the shoulders and would likely break in a serious crash?

I can understand 'belly' clips would cause the load to be focused on soft spots and not on the torso.

Just trying to get the grasp of some of the info so I can pass along on facebook.

ADS

momtotwogirls

They have rules over there that they basically have to be able to pull the child out of the car seat with one movement. Their harness is also positioned closer together so when tightened properly they will act the same as ours that have the chest clip.

sunnymw

There are also some US manufacturers that have stated that the chest clip is optional, and that people can use the seat without one if needed (ie, if one broke and they were waiting for another in the mail).

Also many of the Euro seats have shoulder pads with rubbery or grippy type backs, which cling to the child's shoulders/clothes/chest as well.

My personal belief is that a lot of parents would do a much better job of securely restraining their kids if there was no chest clip, especially in infant seats where the chest clip takes up the entire body, making many parents buckle ONLY the chest clip, or leave the straps so loose because the clip will hold the baby in (even though WE know it won't).

turtlemama

I am also wondering about this. What would happen if I took the chest clips off? I have a Maestro, 2 CA's and a TF.

turtlemama

I know that only a couple of companies allow that (I think Graco does too?)
I am just wondering if it is dangerous to remove them anyway. If they are pre-crash positioners, is that for when straps may not be as tight as they should be, or for straps that are correctly tightened? Say I have the harness tight enough that there is no slack, is that safe enough or do I NEED the chest clip to make it safe? I really wish it was optional, it seems like it would be a lot easier to get them in without that extra step. Also I feel it would get the harness a little more snug. It would also make me feel a lot better if I did need to get them out in a hurry since I have a HUGE fear of being trapped in the car and not being able to get them all out in time.
I also wanted to mention that there was a recent post about this, I just forgot to ask these questions, so I hope it is ok to ask here instead of there.

momtotwogirls

I would have to say you would have to contact the manufacturer and consult them on the chest clip. I know Britax allows it because they are also a European company I dont know about any other company. The chest clip is designed to break in a crash just holding the straps in place Im guessing because they arent as close together as European seats. They are for when they are tightened correctly, I would think most parents who dont take the time to make sure the straps are tightened are also the ones who have belly clips on their kids which is also very dangerous. I do agree though it would be much simpler if we didnt have to bother with them.

christineka

It is not sanctioned by The First Years, but I have chosen to remove the clip from my true fit. I feel that the harness lie properly on my dd without it. Sunshine Kids will tell you it isn't needed. I have removed the clip from my rear-facing radian. It is a lot easier to get kids in and out and no chances of clipping the child's chin in the chest clip:) Also, there's no clip to slide out of position.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not aware of Britax allowing it, but Sunshine Kids supposedly does. Sunshine Kids allows...uh...a lot of questionable stuff, though.

My biggest concern with removing the chest clip is that it potentially makes it easier for a kid to squirm out.

As long as you don't have a squirmer, it's probably not a problem, but also not something I could recommend, either.

momtotwogirls

I'm not aware of Britax allowing it, but Sunshine Kids supposedly does. Sunshine Kids allows...uh...a lot of questionable stuff, though.

My biggest concern with removing the chest clip is that it potentially makes it easier for a kid to squirm out.

As long as you don't have a squirmer, it's probably not a problem, but also not something I could recommend, either.

Hmm I thought I had heard the Britax said it was fine for it to be removed.

I have often wondered if the US should do away with chest clips too.

I have a lot of English friends on FB and so I see lots and lot of car seat pics. Everyone does seem to use the harness nice and tightly. The only difference is no chest clips.

I personally think that the chest clip does more harm than good here because it's either too low or it gives a perception of the kid being "in" the seat better than they are. Also, I've seen seats done with chest clip only way too many times.

If this is OK with Britax I am seriously going to consider removing Alexis's from her MA so her parents are forced to buckle her in at the crotch. I could tell them it's not necessary and they'd go for it. She's safer being buckled with the crotch strap only than the chest clip only by far. They NEVER buckle the crotch buckle and I've reminded them a thousand times.

turtlemama

So if I called the manufacturer of each seat and they say it is ok to remove it, then it would be ok?
The Maestro and the CAs have straps pretty close together. My DS was always complaining that the Maestro straps were hurting his neck since they were too close. Compared to the TF my other seats straps are a lot closer together.

I've never seen a European seat in person, but I agree that our crotch straps could use a little more length. It seems any seat I put DS into, he has problems with the crotch strap. I was hoping to FF him in the TF once DS3 weighed more than 35 lbs so I could move DS3 to the CA but when I tried DS1 in the TF the crotch strap was way short on him. The same happened in the GN and the CAs though not as bad in the CAs. I'm sure once he is FF again and I can put the crotch strap in the outer slot it would be better.
I also had trouble with the crotch buckles in seats I tried him in at TRU the other day. Which reminds me, I really, really want a MyRide for him now! I thought he didn't have much room in it when I tried him before, but I measured this time and he had almost 5 inches above his head and to the top slot. Too bad DH doesn't buy lame excuses for new seats :/

momtotwogirls

Ok so I have been told by a few techs that Britax allows it, SK allows it and also Combi but only for medical reasons, not just because you want to remove them. Also it is only allowed on certain models.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC