Shopping for a used Mazda5

jessi f

Our budget is around $11,000. We dont want to have a payment. Anything we should keep an eye out for in the ones we look at? There are only a few new ones local to us and used ones in our price range are scattered at least an hour away :rolleyes: Were trying to keep it within about 100 miles of 24073 if anyone wants to take a look with me. :) We're thinking about going to see this one and this one.

What year did the seatbelt issues in the third row get fixed?

ADS

teekadog

I *think* it was 2009. I have an 07, with wonky 3rd row shoulder belts. I considered holding out for the 08, but was told the belts would be unchanged. Thus, I *think* 09.

Happy shopping!

P.S. In the 3.5 years we've owned it, I have had only minor annoyance with the 3rd row shoulder belts. More a pet peeve than anything else, so I'd recommend you not make it a deal breaker.

chay

2009 is when they changed (I have a 2008). The only seat I have a problem with 3rd row is that I can't do a FF Radian. Maybe it will be more of a pain when the kids are booster riders but so far I'm surviving with them.

Not sure if the 2007 have the rear vent on the center console and the arm rest(s?) on the front seats. I believe they were added in either 2007 or 2008. Not sure if that matters to you though. I think those were the only real changes since they came out.

I will also say, I absolutely love my 5. Even my DH (who is a minivan hater) loves it and takes it whenever he can.

jessi f

Thanks for the input :) Our kids should be harnessed and or boostered for a LONG time so I'm ok with the lame seatbelts. Is'nt there at least one booster that works ok in the third row? Probooster or something?

So the ones made before 2008 dont have a rear vent at all? Does it get really hot/cold back there?

We asked for a carfax on the first one I linked to and it's been in 2 crashes. One minor and one major, so it's out of the running :( And we emailed the other one that's privately owned and they havnt answered our email. We have plenty of time to shop around though so we'll keep looking :)

teekadog

We find that the cabin is so comparatively small and open that the front vents do fine heating and cooling the whole car.

BUT I have never been in a 2008 or newer so that might be better and I just don't know it. I do sometimes wish for a front passenger arm rest :p

chay

I think I've heard of a few boosters that work 3rd row. Probooster was definitely one but we can't get them up here so we'll have to find something else when the time comes.

The rear vent doesn't do heat, just vent so I usually have mine off anyways. I'm usually the one that ends up in the 3rd row when we have guests and it isn't that bad back there without heat even when it's -30 and my kids don't know any different so they don't complain. It is a pretty small interior so it heats up pretty quickly. I have used it a few times in the summer but could survive without if I had to but if I lived in the Southern States I might have a different opinion.

jessi f

Now that I think about it the 5 isnt really that much bigger inside than most cars inside anyways. So I can see how the rear vent is more of a bonus than a necessity. I'm more of a windows down girl anyways unless were on the interstate :)

We dont have much car buying experience so I'm kind of intimidated by the process :eek: There are several Mazda5s that are in our price range but at least a couple hours away. Any advice on shopping for cars long distance?

And what about carfax info? There is one were looking at but it lists an accident, but no structural damage. Would the dealer know what the accident was? Would you worry much about it if it was like a minor parking lot bump?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC