Physical maturity for boosters?

turtlemama

I am trying to make a note on my facebook about why not to put a 3 year old in a booster, but I cannot remember what the physical part of it was, or if I was just getting stuff confused. I know they have to be mentally mature and I know there is a risk of submarining, but I can't remember why there is that risk.
I remember reading that it has to do with the pelvis?

Also I am trying to find something that I read a while back about how in a crash there are really three "crashes" that occur. The car hitting something, the person hitting something in the car and the organs hitting the abdomen, or something to that effect. I don't know if this applies to booster use, but I wanted to write about that in general since it seems like a useful bit of information to share.

Basically I am needing reasons not to booster children too early. I'm not looking for anything that is saying to harness them as long as possible or anything like that though. I have read a lot on here and see that it is not necessary to do that, so I don't want to put out anything saying that. I don't want to freak people out. (As if I don't already with all the rear facing my 4 year old stuff that I have on my FB lol)

ADS

momtotwogirls

I know they have a risk of submarining if they are under 40lbs but another physical part I guess would be their spine not being fully ossified yet.

firemomof3

How does a booster work: A skeleton doesn't reach adult strength until puberty. So a young child's hip bones cannot withstand the forces of a crash as well as adults. The booster acts as artificial hips during a crash. It takes some of the forces, and it acts like a mature iliac crest, holding the lap belt down off the soft abdomen.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
There's a risk of submarining and also of head injuries.

The sequence of crashes is:

*Vehicle hits something (another vehicle, tree, etc,)
*Person's body hits seatbelt/harness -- or something else, if unrestrained
*Internal organs hit the body's walls

A vehicle with good crumple zones slows the vehicle gradually, and a properly harnessed/belted person keeps the second "impact" from being an impact, but rather a ride-down as the webbing stretches, which in turn helps the organs to slow down more gradually as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC