My 1st Day of CRST Class...

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
So, the instructor seems really good and knows her stuff... we even had a great discussion on extended rearfacing!

Jewels: The program is called Buckle Up Bears and started in Ontario - Co-operators insurance company is the one that backs it here in Alberta. The instructor told us that MPI actually uses their program for their CRST classes as well.... so, if you are having difficulties getting a class in your area, what about calling Buckle up Bears and getting a class together through that?

The class is apparently the same class that SafeKids operates... only they take the 4 day course and condense it down into 2 days! My head hurts... I think it's from the flourescent lighting... or maybe it's from the dad in the class that says his baby is too big to rearface (22mo, 28lbs, 35in). I don't think he particularly liked me pointing out that Mikkel is still RF at that same age/weight and totally comfortable.

I did provide about 1/3 of the seats at the class and I have not really come across any surprises yet. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

ADS

JaRylan

The class is apparently the same class that SafeKids operates... only they take the 4 day course and condense it down into 2 days!

I would love to see a comparison of the Canadian condensed class and the US 4 day class. I'll be adding this to my list of questions for class next week, lol.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I am so happy you! I am glad that your class went well and hopefully tomorrow goes well too!

I started another thread on the course in MB and they are working to get one in my town :) Thanks for the info, I may end up looking into it!

skaterbabs

I would love to see how they condensed the 4 day class to two - as it is they cover just the minimum amount of information.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I would love to see how they condensed the 4 day class to two - as it is they cover just the minimum amount of information.

Info given at the course is very basic and there was basically no time to do practice installs. Literally, one RF and one FF install was all we did (either with seatbelt or LATCH - not both)... good thing I know all I know from hanging out here... these people are going to NEED me when they hold their first clinic.

skaterbabs

Info given at the course is very basic and there was basically no time to do practice installs. Literally, one RF and one FF install was all we did (either with seatbelt or LATCH - not both)... good thing I know all I know from hanging out here... these people are going to NEED me when they hold their first clinic.

How scary..... *shudder*

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
How scary..... *shudder*

I agree... it really should be a week long class. The instructor mentioned that it was hard to get people to commit to anything longer than 2 days. Normally, they do 2 days in class and 1/2 day practical with a mock clinic... but these people didn't want to take more than the 2 days.

I do know that they all really seemed to be paying attention and genuinely wanted to get it right... but practical is a lot different than paper. At least there will be me and one other lady that has been doing seatchecks for 10 years or so to help out.

skaterbabs

:soapbox: Personally I think it should be 6 days and not 4, but the class has never been intended to do more than cover the basics.

Loves2sing

I agree, and when I take the course, that would be the kind of course i would prefer to take. I will see what is available, but the only one I have heard of in S'toon is only a 2 day course. I'll look further into it once i move.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC