Neighbor using shield seat question

amp

I live in a neighborhood where car seat awareness is, well...not important to many. I feel like when I mention the slightest thing about seats, I get the eye rolls. Anyway, I have one neighbor in particular that has posted (fb) pix of her 2 yr old in the OLD shield car seat, the shield has duct-tape on both sides of the seat. Her oldest is 12, I'm sure it was their first seat. I have posted the link about the BRU trade-in, in hopes it would dawn on her maybe she should up-grade, I don't think she caught it. Her other 5 kids are in adult belts only.
How do I mention her seat being way too old and unsafe, without stepping on toes? Do I let it go? I am taking the cert. class in April, should I wait until after that, then approach her? I have no idea how to go about this, but it I hate seeing this. Her sister mentioned the seat to me, in suggesting I give her my expired MA when it expires this summer (after I mentioned having to get a new one) :eek:
I don't think it would be a huge money issue, especially suggesting the BRU discount and a less expensive seat. We also have services available that she could get another seat.
Suggestions?

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Hi! Where in Ak are you? I'm in Palmer :) If you are close to me I'd suggest sending her to one of our monthly checks, where we'd give her a Scenera.

DaniChildcare

I would probably mention to her that those seats were recalled for safety (and why, possibly with a print out of the recall), and tell her that if she trades it in, she can get a scenera for a steal.

I probably wouldn't go any further than that. As much as we like to protect other peoples kids it's just not possible

amp

I'm in Wasilla! Hatchers Pass side. Are you referring to the check at AK Sales? If you're in Palmer, I should have you double check my RN :)
I'll mention the suggestions! I don't think they are done having kids, so the thought of more babies in the seat is scary. Thank You!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Sweet! Always great to see someone local who actually cares about car seats!

Yes I was talking about the checks at AK Sales & Service. We do those the first Saturday of every month from 9-1. I'd be glad to check your seats, in fact I would love to be able to borrow your FR85 real quick to see if it fits in my car--it would save me a trip to ANC :whistle:

See if you can talk her into turning in the new seat at BRU, though! That would be ideal. Otherwise Target has the 40RF Scenera, but they are $55.

amp

Lol, you dread that trip too?! I did it to try the RN. The JT owner was no help at the install, I took the chance and ordered it anyway from Amazon. I would love to meet up with you!

amp

amp said:
Lol, you dread that trip too?! I did it to try the RN. The JT owner was no help at the install, I took the chance and ordered it anyway from Amazon. I would love to meet up with you!

Is it just me or are Alaskan especially bad at CR uses?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yeah, Alaskans tend to be very much in the "DIY with duct tape" camp, lol.

I tried a Radian at JT last summer, and as I was bringing it back inside the lady who works there said very rudely "we don't take returns on car seats." :rolleyes: I ordered it from Amazon for waaay less ;)

amp

Good news! She took the advice well. Says she had bought a seat a couple years ago from Walmart and hated it, so she was not wanting to spend money on another seat that didn't fit. She had NO idea they had expiry dates :eek: She had bought this one with her first, 12 yrs ago. She thought the car seat check would be a good option for her, I hope she goes!! She said her van has the built in harness, I told her to talk to techs. Not sure that's a good option for a 2 yr old, but I'm not a tech...yet :whistle:
Thanks for the advice!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yay that's fabulous! The built in would be a good option for now, and hopefully she will come in for a check.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC