Argh Coccoro "rebound" video- is this ok or do I need a different seat?

todzwife

DD2 has started complaining in her infant seat. She's almost 10 months and has room left in it (chicco keyfit) but it's pretty reclined and it makes her mad. Also, her shoulders are starting to look a little cramped. SO, I got the coccoro back out (we used it last summer while traveling because I needed it in the center, long story)
I really need her outboard because I'm short and it KILLS my back to hoist her over another seat to get her in the center. Well...this new problem cropped up.

Is this ok? I can not, under any circumstance get it to NOT do this. Of course, tethering it would solve the problem but this one isn't approved to do so. Boo!!

The "latch" install is completely not compatible w/ my car. I'm not sure what other RFing seat will work in my car. I'm SO frustrated. The keyfit was fine, just limited the amount of leg room the driver had (which doesn't matter so much to me since I'm short). I can't put a seat on the other side because of the "smart" airbag in the passenger seat.

DH will so not be happy to buy another seat but I don't know what to do. I want to keep her RFing for a long time, but this car. It makes me want to say bad words.

ADS

StPaulMom

Using pool noodles or the Combi foam block (it's free, just call and ask for it!) will help with this issue. Although, it's not likely that in your situation the seat WOULD be pushed from behind and cause it to rebound in such a manner. Using the Euro routing would be a huge help, too.

There is also talk that Combi *may* be allowing the Coccoro to be tethered RF, which would be retroactive. This is not official as far as I know, so dont do it yet, but just keep in mind that it might be a possibility in the future.

EmmaGrace'sMom

I don't have a CCO and haven't installed one, so take this for what it's worth... Can you install it with the shoulder belt behind the seat? (I think it's called European Routing??)

I drool over CCO's!

autumnlily

After the bump... when you test at the belt path - does it stay within the 1" movement requirement?

I was having a very similar issue (check out you tube and tag Coccoro) - however my seat did not stay within the 1" movement when I settled it back down.

I resolved my problem by reclining my captain chair (spoke with Combi first b/c their manual says "most upright position" - however, toyota manual states to recline seat). Also, I didn't have leather.

I know the uneasiness it brings to see the rebound with even the slightest touch.

todzwife

After the bump... when you test at the belt path - does it stay within the 1" movement requirement?

I was having a very similar issue (check out you tube and tag Coccoro) - however my seat did not stay within the 1" movement when I settled it back down.

I resolved my problem by reclining my captain chair (spoke with Combi first b/c their manual says "most upright position" - however, toyota manual states to recline seat). Also, I didn't have leather.

I know the uneasiness it brings to see the rebound with even the slightest touch.

I can get it back into position pretty easily. It's just SO easy to bump it like that, it makes me nervous how it would perform in a crash.
I tried the Euro routing and it didn't help the rebound issue at all. It just made it more inconvenient to get her in/out with the belt in the way.

The problem is, I don't know what other seat would FIT there! It's not a big vehicle seat at all and the room front to back is really small, which is why I got the CCO in the first place. I just want to cry. I want my ladybug safe! Stupid car.:mad:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
In a crash it'll rebound and bounce around, same as any other carseat.

Have you tried getting your Radian in upright there?

Wendy

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I don't see an issue either. All RF seats do that, which is why you only check for movement at the belt path :)

What car is this?

lovinwaves

That is what the seat is supposed to do in the event of a crash:

http://www.carseat.org/

The first U.S. infant restraint, which is the model for subsequent ones, did not use a tether in either direction nor a shoulder belt, but it worked very well. During development, the engineers observed that it turned over toward the vehicle seatback after a crash test and, largely in order to justify what happened anyway, they called this the "cocoon effect."

todzwife

In a crash it'll rebound and bounce around, same as any other carseat.

Have you tried getting your Radian in upright there?

Wendy

The Radian was a JOKE. Seriously. I had to have the drivers seat as far forward as it would go and it STILL didn't fit. It does fit in the center between the 2 seats though.

I don't see an issue either. All RF seats do that, which is why you only check for movement at the belt path :)

What car is this?

Subaru Tribeca 08. Leather seats. I love the car, but when it comes to installing seats it makes me cry.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
My Coccoros did that, too, if I made it. However in two years of regular use it never did that on it's own. I consider it a non-issue.

FYI, although the next version of the Coccoro might allow RF tethering, Combi's rep was quite adamant that it will not be a retroactive change. She was very clear that they never make changes retroactive.

Spam

I think it's fine too. Is there a way you could get behind the cco when your installing it and kind of shove it into the backseat while pushing down? If that makes any sense lol. I love the install in my durango, it doesn't tip at all and it so easy to get in, I have leather seats also.

todzwife

My Coccoros did that, too, if I made it. However in two years of regular use it never did that on it's own. I consider it a non-issue.

FYI, although the next version of the Coccoro might allow RF tethering, Combi's rep was quite adamant that it will not be a retroactive change. She was very clear that they never make changes retroactive.

Thanks, I guess I won't worry about it then. And as much as I'd love to get another coccoro that DOES tether, I doubt I'd be buying another one because she'd probably outgrow it pretty fast.

todzwife

I think it's fine too. Is there a way you could get behind the cco when your installing it and kind of shove it into the backseat while pushing down? If that makes any sense lol. I love the install in my durango, it doesn't tip at all and it so easy to get in, I have leather seats also.

I'll see if DH will help me with it when he gets home. As it is, I've already spent 45 minutes today trying to get it in better and it's just frustrating me.:rolleyes:

I actually had the same issue and would not use it in my car. When you do the shoulder belt routing install, if it rebounds, you have to completely uninstall and reinstall every time. It was nowhere near secure with lap belt only or LATCH.

Combi (Vera) said it was not ok and sent me the block- yeah, what a joke. It did nothing at all. She explained that my seats were more than a certain percentage firm or something and it doesn't work well on seats like mine.

I have firm leather seats and a 2 door car meaning that when another kid gets it and even brushes past it, it would flip up. It also flipped up when the 18 month old climbed into it. Sure, placing an infant in it might not make it flip but a kid climbing into it did. I took it out and put the Britax back in.

As easily as it completely flipped up, I was not ok with it and got rid of it. Combi asked me for pictures and admitted that this was an issue that needed to be addressed but to be honest, I was so frustrated that I forgot to send them. They also told me that the recline block is for the Zeus, not the Coccoro. Vera said that they need to make a different one especially for the CCO because it was an issue. IMO the CCO needs a redesigned base or a detachable bse for rear facing.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician

The new LATCH manual states that it will be retroactive. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
RF seats do that in order to lift up and allow the car to absorb the energy in a crash. As long as there is less than 1" of movement at the belt path, it is fine.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
DisneyWorldNanny said:
I actually had the same issue and would not use it in my car. When you do the shoulder belt routing install, if it rebounds, you have to completely uninstall and reinstall every time. It was nowhere near secure with lap belt only or LATCH.

Why would you have to completely uninstall and reinstall? Were you locking the belt? Otherwise you could just loosen the belt, reposition the seat, and retighten.

Anyway, it sounds like your car had a true incompatibility. That happens sometimes, unfortunately.

safeinthecar said:
The new LATCH manual states that it will be retroactive. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

That will be interesting. Can't wait to see what the result is.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC