I'm finally Aussie-certified!

Joddle

I had my day course today, and am finally qualified! My licence is in the mail :)
I had an awesome time, but admit I already knew everything they taught us :eek:
It surprised me that the majority of priniciples for child restraint installation etc are the same here as in America.
All you guys deserve so much credit for all the wonderful advice you give to parents out there!
And a big thankyou from me for teaching me everything car-seat related that I know :D

ADS

Joddle

I was just thinking, will i still be able to visit the tech forum even though my cert number wont be in the same format as a Safekids one?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
It surprised me that the majority of priniciples for child restraint installation etc are the same here as in America.

I'd be interested in hearing about some of the differences.

I was just thinking, will i still be able to visit the tech forum even though my cert number wont be in the same format as a Safekids one?

It isn't a program that gives you access, Admin/mods change what forums you are allowed into in your account settings. Send a PM and ask for access.

Joddle

TBH, I only picked up on 2 differences, and I'm not sure if they are differences or if I just haven't heard them spoken about here.
The first I a 'minimum install' which put simply is the way the manual tells you to install. No locking clip, no locking seatbelts, just removing the slack from the belt. It's acceptable as that's how they are tested, but it's not solid. And the seatbelt has to be checked every day for tightness.
The second is that we aren't given a range of allowable movement, and it's not considered a 'test of install' to pull the seat at the belt path. However, as that's what most parents do to check, we were told to install it locked so that when they do that it doesn't move :p

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Back in the day, I think there was a seat here (an Evenflo?) that allowed an install with a non-lockable belt as long as you top tethered it. Sounds like that's still acceptable in Australia? Wow.

There are instructions in this thread on how to get access if you're not a US tech. It's a little more complicated but doable. :)

KiwiGem

When I sat my test online to update my NZ technician certificate back in July, one of the questions was "how much side to side movement is allowed at the belt path at the end of installation" and the multichoice answers were...

a) 5cm
b) 7cm
c) 10cm
d) 12cm

And the correct answer they wanted was 7cm (2.75") but I emailed them and said this was dangerous as the US standards seats we now have here require 2.5cm (1 inch) or less which means that even our technicians weren't being trained correctly. They replied that the questions and answers were based on when we used to only accept Australian/NZ joint standards seats and the test had never been updated! :thumbsdown:

Congratulations on your tech course :thumbsup:

Joddle

When I sat my test online to update my NZ technician certificate back in July, one of the questions was "how much side to side movement is allowed at the belt path at the end of installation" and the multichoice answers were...

a) 5cm
b) 7cm
c) 10cm
d) 12cm

And the correct answer they wanted was 7cm (2.75") but I emailed them and said this was dangerous as the US standards seats we now have here require 2.5cm (1 inch) or less which means that even our technicians weren't being trained correctly. They replied that the questions and answers were based on when we used to only accept Australian/NZ joint standards seats and the test had never been updated! :thumbsdown:

Congratulations on your tech course :thumbsup:

Thanks and wow! On the super old Aus seats it used to say 7cm. We're talking like 15+ yeard old! So yeah, pretty bad the techs weren't told.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Back in the day, I think there was a seat here (an Evenflo?) that allowed an install with a non-lockable belt as long as you top tethered it. Sounds like that's still acceptable in Australia? Wow.

There are instructions in this thread on how to get access if you're not a US tech. It's a little more complicated but doable. :)

Century. I had the OHS version (DD1's first seat) and I still have the instructions for it in a box somewhere.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think it's come up before that some Evenflo seats used to allow it, so maybe it was more widespread than I thought! (Or maybe those who said Evenflo were mistaken, and it was only Century.) In any case, it's an interesting thing to think about! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC