higher weight limit coming to Canada?

mommy_quigg

I heard mention that the harness weight limit in Canada is going from 48 to 65 lbs? Is this true? When is it happening? Where can I find more information about this? I really want to harness my son as long as possible! (I'd wear a harness myself if they made them!)

Anna
mommy to Aaron: 2 years old, 29lbs, 32 1/4" ff in an AOE.

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I called MPI (provincial insurance company) and talked with our carseat safety person. He wasn't sure when it would happen, rumor was April of this year and apparently that hasn't happened but when I spoke to the person at MPI he said it could take awhile.

You could try to speak to your provincial insurance company (depending on where you live if you have provincial insurance) or you could also try call Transport Canada. By the weight of your DS in your siggy it looks like you have a bit of time before needing that HWH seat so hopefully by then you will have more options!

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I heard mention that the harness weight limit in Canada is going from 48 to 65 lbs? Is this true? When is it happening? Where can I find more information about this? I really want to harness my son as long as possible! (I'd wear a harness myself if they made them!)

Anna

It's soon. BUT it doesn't automatically mean more seats with higher harness weight would appear in Canada, or that the current seats like MA, RN, Apex would automatically be for 65 lbs when they have been only tested and certified for 48 lbs to the current safety standards.

It would only mean that there is now a higher harness weight limit and it's up to the current and new carseat manufactures to decide if they want to test their seats to bring into the Canadian market, to re-test current seats (MA, RN and Apex), to 'retrofit' those current seats MA/RN/Apex to 65 lbs should they pass new limit, etc.

It's all up to the carseat manufactures once the weight limit is increased. Don't forget to let the manufactures know that you want their seats, because unless they know there is a demand for it, they might decide the Canadian market is too small to invest much into testing/re-testing and to bring new seats into a market (which costs lots of money).

mommy_quigg

If it did change, couldn't I just purchase a seat from the states that went up to 65lbs?

Just curious... if he is taller than the height limit, but his shoulders are still below harness in its 2nd highest position (highest position that the harness can be used for the AOE, right?) can he still stay harnessed? He has long legs but a shorter torso.

Anna

Jewels

Senior Community Member
If it did change, couldn't I just purchase a seat from the states that went up to 65lbs?
It is still illegal to purchase US seats for use in Canada as they don't have the green maple leaf sticker.

Just curious... if he is taller than the height limit, but his shoulders are still below harness in its 2nd highest position (highest position that the harness can be used for the AOE, right?) can he still stay harnessed? He has long legs but a shorter torso.

Yes as long as he is under the max. weight limit of the seat (AO/AOE is 40lbs FF) and his shoulders are under the top harness slot (for the AO/AOE where top is booster only then 2nd from the top) then it is okay to still use it. The height limit is just a guideline and isn't set in stone where as the weight limit is a must to follow and is set in stone.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
It would only mean that there is now a higher harness weight limit and it's up to the current and new carseat manufactures to decide if they want to test their seats to bring into the Canadian market, to re-test current seats (MA, RN and Apex), to 'retrofit' those current seats MA/RN/Apex to 65 lbs should they pass new limit, etc.

Apparently Sunshine Kids said they will issue a new sticker for Radians that go to 48lbs so after the weight change they will be able to be used to 65lbs in Canada as well (they won't issue new stickers until the law is passed to increase the weight to 65lbs).

I talked to Britax about the MA and they hadn't heard about the law changing but said they might issue new stickers as the Canadian MA is the exact same seat as the US MA (but the CDN cover has the warnings in french and english).

Now I am hoping that these companies really will issue new stickers :)

mommy_quigg

A new sticker would make it easy! I'd just have to be careful that I didn't grab an older version without a new sticker...

Thank you for letting me know it was illegal to purchase an American car seat. I had no idea.

Anna

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I emailed Transport Canada back in March and today I got a response about the higher weight seats. Here it is:

Thank you for your correspondence of March 15, 2007, to the Honourable Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, regarding car seat regulations for children. The Minister has asked me to reply on his behalf.

At the outset, I should explain that, under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act, Transport Canada develops regulations for the safety performance of vehicles, tires and other vehicle products, including booster cushions and child restraint systems sold in or imported into Canada. The applicable regulations for restraint systems can be found on Transport Canada's website at the following address:

www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations/GENERAL/M/mvsa/regulations/rssr/rssr.htm.

As you may be aware, Canada's regulations currently specify that forward-facing child restraints must be used for children weighing between 20 and 48 pounds. Transport Canada recommends that once a child has outgrown a child restraint system, parents should seat children in a booster cushion and use the vehicle's seat belt assembly.

Since model year 2003, vehicles have been equipped with universal anchorage systems, which are found in the seat bight area where the seat back meets the seat cushion of the rear seats. These attachment points, along with their associated top-tether anchors that are often found at the top rear shelf of the vehicle, must be used to secure the child restraint device in the vehicle. However, it is important to note that all new child seats can be installed in one of two ways: either by using the vehicle seat belt with the top-tether anchor or by employing the universal lower anchorage system with the top tether.

To date, Transport Canada's research has supported the use of child restraints for children weighing up to 65 pounds. While I recognize that the U.S. regulations allow for seats designed to hold children up to that weight, in order to be effective and to protect other vehicle occupants, such larger, heavier seats must be properly installed and secured.

Before taking any action to amend the existing regulations, the department must determine the optimal method for securing larger seats. Transport Canada is therefore conducting crash tests involving larger seats installed in the rear seats of vehicles. This confirmatory testing is expected to be completed by May 2007. Amendments to the regulations will follow. Should manufacturers choose to certify their seats in accordance with all applicable Canadian standards and offer them for sale in Canada, the public would then have access to child restraints that can accommodate children weighing up to 65 pounds.

Should you require further clarification on this matter, I would encourage you to contact Transport Canada's Road Safety Information Centre at 1-800-330-0371 or visit the department's website at www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/childsafety/menu.htm.

I trust that the foregoing has clarified the Minister's position with respect to this matter. Again, thank you for writing.

Yours truly,

Richard Stryde
Special Assistant - Northern and Western Canada

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC