Do you have backup seats?

purplemama

I'm getting so sick of DH asking me when I'm getting rid of "all those seats in the basement". That consists of a MA for DS2 for his car (need to put that back in the car), a extra base for DD for his car, a Avenue as a backup for DS2 and a Titan as backup for DD. DH is always saying why so many seats and I tell him once again that in the event of an accident we need a backup seat for each kid. We have this conversation once a week at least. I think he thinks we don't need backups. I also think he thinks I need an excuse to have more seats than we need.

Other than people who financially can't does anybody just deal with not having backups?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Laine has two seats, one for each of our cars (they're both in my car now, I need to put the CCO back in my husband's car). Piper has two boosters, one for each car, and a backless that is her travel booster, or what I use for her friends. That's it.

Wendy

libranbutterfly

So there are no seats installed in DHs car though, these are just the second seats for each kid? Sounds reasonable to me. Of course, I always have extra seats......I had 10 for 2 kids for a while, until I realized that my in laws STILL wouldnt leave my seats installed in their cars.

jnamommy

We have 2 kids, and 7 seats. We don't have true "back ups" that we keep in the house uninstalled for "just in case." We keep a seat for each kid in my vehicle, my dh's, my parents', and then ds has a seat in my dad's car (dd does not ride in that vehicle). We have 7 seats because they ride in all of those vehicles on a regular basis. But if the kids go with my sis or something, I move one. In the event of an accident, I would just rearrange seats until we got the crashed seats replaced.

So I guess I would say that having two seats for each kid is a good idea, whether those are isntalled in two diff vehicles or kept in the house as spares.

Angela

I think 1 per vehicle, per child is probably a good bet. You could probably do fine with an extra for both though, in case of a relative/friend needing to take them somewhere. We have 2 Frontiers for DS in our main cars and a turbo in the 3rd (gets used very rarely and will probably be sold this summer). Of course, I have a bunch of other seats too, but they get used for daycare kiddos and DS doesn't fit in any of them. :whistle:

purplemama

So there are no seats installed in DHs car though, these are just the second seats for each kid? Sounds reasonable to me. Of course, I always have extra seats......I had 10 for 2 kids for a while, until I realized that my in laws STILL wouldnt leave my seats installed in their cars.

There are 3 seats for each. For DS2 an XTSL (my vehicle), a MA (DH's car) and backup Avenue. For DD a snugride with two bases, and a Titan as backup. We very rarely if ever have the need for them to ride with anyone else.

DH was in an accident when DS2 was 21 months and it was so nice to have a spare to install in the rental car. But money is tight and I could make $80-100 easy by selling the Titan and Avenue. We do have a 24hour store 5 miles down the road that sells several seats that I could get in case of an emergency.

mommycat

I also don't have "backups" per se. I do have 5 seats per kid, but they are installed in vehicles (mine, DH's, my parents', MIL's and FIL's). If we need anyone else to take one of the kids or if we had to replace, we would just swap out seats or vehicles with someone else.

mumof2

I only have one carseat each for my children 99% of the time they are only ever traveling in my car if either have to go in my husband's car we just take said child's carseat out of my car and install it in his car.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We have only had 1 seat per kid until last year when ds2 was 4.5y and he got a booster for dhs new truck, because his husky won't fit.

Now both kids have 2 seats. Our older kids are 9y and 10y and haven't been in seats for years (or at least it feels like it).

We have never had more then 2 seats per kid in 10y. Most of the time we only have 1 family car and the younger ones never rode in the 2nd car. If we crashed we would just be home, walk or bike until we got new seats.

The one time we crashed, 9y ago, we used an infant seat my sil had and our extra convertible we had bought when I had been working and h had been taking to dc.

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

fyrfightermomma

I have three I think. I have a turbo lying around, DS's RA55 (he's still in the Shuttle 33 right now) and our old KF30. So once DS gets the RA we'll just have the turbo

Oh wait, and our Maestro that doesn't fit anywhere. I'll probably hang on to that and the turbo. As horrible as it sounds in a pinch Joey can technically use it in an emergency(eek!). Where as a convertible the girls wouldn't fit in anymore. I've never had to use a spare emergency seat so I think I'm good :)

Kobain's Mommy

Once I get my thrid CA he'll have an almost expired MA for backup. I've got a CA in DH's truck and my car, a Mr in my mom's car, and will be putting my Titan in my cousin's SUV. Right now the MA is in my dad's truck.

AtTheSouthDam

I have TB that DD2 is too big for and DD2 is too small, does that count?
DD2 has two seats, soon to be one if she gains any weight, a RN and RYS. DD1 has two seats, a harmony lite rider and Monterey. If she gets any more torso she'll need a HBB for DH's car.

momtoo3

Could you just tell him you are hanging on to the Avenue and Titan for when the baby outgrows the Snugride? They could be extras now and then used later or sold to buy a new seat when the Snugride is outgrown.

I have several extra seats but most are in grandparents vehicles. I do keep our Graco CarGo here for my 2 yr old in case of an emergency. I also keep a nbb handy that my 5 yr old could use in a pinch but I much rather he stay in his hbb's until he is atleast 8. Just about everyone that would possibly transport my kids has a seat dedicated for them in there cars now. But yes I have a back up seat at home I could use until a crashed seat could be replaced.

Kyras_Mama

We only have one vehicle and dd's rarely ride with anyone else so there aren't any seats in another car that could be pulled in an emergency. We do technically have spares for both girls right now but one of them is really the new baby's main seat so only the Scenera will actually be extra come March/April. We have an extra snugride that's good until December that will be baby's back-up. I've been thinking I need to get something extra as a second spare for the older girls but I'm not sure what yet. Waiting to see how older dd actually fits in the small RSTV when it gets here.

ginny4

i have 2 seats per kid (only 2 out of 4 kids are still in seats)
one set (monterey & regent) is in our main family van. the other set (2 turbos=very portable) are in our 2nd vehicle that is used maybe once a week. i just transfer the turbos if need be for other people who transport my kids.
i do have ONE EXTRA backless right now. in an emergency i'd use it for either child.

i sell or give away seats i'm not really using anymore nor see a real use for in the near future because DH is not fond of them sitting around

Meg

Yes. Each kid has a car seat in my car and in my husband's car, and then we have 3 extra convertibles for grandparents' cars. I also have a booster for my son's friends. So, a total of 8 seats with 4 being "extra".

all together ooky

Yes, but it just kind of happened. Usually from outgrowing one of the limits (weight/height).
We have one for each kid in each car.
Then there are three convertibles (Radian, TF, Scenera), a Nautilus, Vivo, and Literider sitting in my basement.

And I'm considering getting a new Radian because My 2 year-old is at the rf height limit on the MyRide. (I can't use the old radian because the weight limit is 35lbs).

Ninetales

Elsa has three seats now. The CA in our car, the MR for my in-laws' car, and a Scenera for a backup. We only have one car so I like having a spare in case we need to get a ride while my husband is at work. Or if there's an accident.

Rebelnicky04

You can tell him this LoL :whistle:

You know this chick who has like 8 car seats and absolutely no children... She is patiently waiting but her husband doesn't even get on her case about having that many seats not to mention the 15 covers she has and continues to add to:eek:

Good luck- DH's can be such a pain sometimes!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC