Need Help! 5 carseats in Caravan

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
I have a FB friend who needs car seat help. She has a Grand Caravan and needs to figure out how to fit 5 car seats into it. She has a skinny 4 y/o, a 2.5 y/o, a 1 y/o, and she'll be having twins in the summer. She really doesn't want to have to get a new car if she can figure out how to Tetris the car seats into her current one.

I am awaiting info on childrens sizes, if they are RF/FF but I'm guessing all FFing right now. Also getting seats they have, and caravan year model. I know this is a popular car, so Ithought you all might have a better idea of the 2nd and 3rd row set up and LATCH, TT anchor placement.

ADS

fyrfightermomma

My 06 Grand Caravan has the fold and go and the 2nd row is captain's seats

There is a full set of LATCH offset in the 3rd row (so basically with 5 kids you won't be able to use it) It is hard to fit even one seat next to the offset seat

Both Captain's seats have full LATCH. The 3rd row tether anchor (yes just 1) is off set but I made the decision to use it for the driver side car seat user. It's that or no tether for any one in the 3rd row (since I can't fit the seats next to eachother) which is beyond dumb

It's a sucky car. I only have three kids and one was untethered for a while beacause the set up sucked

I would think she'd need 3 radians in the 3rd row either RFing/FFing depending on the kid. I can't see much of anything else working. I have a Frontier 85 and a Probooster back there now and there is 4" between the two seats. :rolleyes:

Then the Captian's seats could be whatever she wanted.

If it's stow n go the captain's seats don't slide forward or fold really that would be any help to anyone. Since she needs all 5 seats stowing any of them also isn't an option

I don't envy her. I am dreading #4 and how the set up will work. I hate climbing back there and buckling and stuff and with stow n go even loading through the hatch is messed up because there are giant holes in the "trunk" portion where the seats stow. Nothing to kneel on.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
What about 2 keyfits and a FF/rf Radian in the 3rd row, older kids in captains chairs FF in Nautis? Think that might work?

Do ANY caravan do 3 across in 2nd row? or do they all have captains chairs?

luckyclov

What year is the GC?

I've had 2 Grand Caravans - the first one was either an '05 or '06 and I currently have an '09. Neither one had 3 seating positions in the 2nd row - my older one was a 2 seater bench and my current is captain's chairs.

My '09 has full LATCH in the captain's chairs. The 3rd row has 1 set off off-center lower anchors (so if you use them, you lose an outboard spot) and 1 middle tether anchor. The middle seatbelt is kinda funky and I've never had luck installing a convertible or combo because of it. I know it's been done, though...I just haven't been able to successfully do it with what seats I have available to me. My boostered 8-year old DS rides there instead (the seatbelt works great with the PW/PWSG). There are removable/adjustable headrests in all rear (5) seating positions.

In my '05/'06, the 2nd row bench had 2 full sets of LATCH. The 3rd row had no lower anchors, but I believe there were 2 top tethers, outboard. The middle spot was lapbelt only and had no headrest. The other rear seating positions had lap/shoulder belts and removable/adjustable headrests.

ETA: I, generally, like my GC. That's why it's my 2nd (had a Mazda5 in the middle). HOWEVER, I "only" have 3 kids and it's a perfect fit for us. The lack of LATCH (specifically top tethers) in the 3rd row could be a problem for a lot of people. I knew that when I bought it and it was a non-issue since I will only ever have boosters back there. I don't particularly like the dramatic slope to the seats, but that said, I've also never run into an intall issue - and I've even had RNs and a CCO in the mix.

ETA (again!):
Probooster back there now
The PB was a freakin' wreck in my 3rd row. Lots of tipping. With the GC/T&C "redesign" in '08 came super sloped seats.

fyrfightermomma

What about 2 keyfits and a FF/rf Radian in the 3rd row, older kids in captains chairs FF in Nautis? Think that might work?

Do ANY caravan do 3 across in 2nd row? or do they all have captains chairs?

Some have bench seats but it would only be 2 seats. Caravans are only 7 seaters

fyrfightermomma

What year is the GC?

I've had 2 Grand Caravans - the first one was either an '05 or '06 and I currently have an '09. Neither one had 3 seating positions in the 2nd row - my older one was a 2 seater bench and my current is captain's chairs.

My '09 has full LATCH in the captain's chairs. The 3rd row has 1 set off off-center lower anchors (so if you use them, you lose an outboard spot) and 1 middle tether anchor. The middle seatbelt is kinda funky and I've never had luck installing a convertible or combo because of it. I know it's been done, though...I just haven't been able to successfully do it with what seats I have available to me. My boostered 8-year old DS rides there instead (the seatbelt works great with the PW/PWSG). There are removable/adjustable headrests in all rear (5) seating positions.

In my '05/'06, the 2nd row bench had 2 full sets of LATCH. The 3rd row had no lower anchors, but I believe there were 2 top tethers, outboard. The middle spot was lapbelt only and had no headrest. The other rear seating positions had lap/shoulder belts and removable/adjustable headrests.

ETA: I, generally, like my GC. That's why it's my 2nd (had a Mazda5 in the middle). HOWEVER, I "only" have 3 kids and it's a perfect fit for us. The lack of LATCH (specifically top tethers) in the 3rd row could be a problem for a lot of people. I knew that when I bought it and it was a non-issue since I will only ever have boosters back there. I don't particularly like the dramatic slope to the seats, but that said, I've also never run into an intall issue - and I've even had RNs and a CCO in the mix.

ETA (again!):
The PB was a freakin' wreck in my 3rd row. Lots of tipping. With the GC/T&C "redesign" in '08 came super sloped seats.

I remember you telling me that and I was terrified! LOL. Nope, no tipping issues at all! Fits perfect. The belt gets a bit caught up in the belt guide but nope, no tipping. I was very happy about that as there really weren't many other 30 lb boosters that worked well

libranbutterfly

I think there is a good chance of a radian and 2 keyfits/cocorros fitting in the back seat. I had an older caravan, but had cosco backless/radian/cosco backless for a while and it was tight, but it worked. If that didnt work, then radian/marathon classic/radian would work. Even if she did get a new vehicke she would have to deal with a three across, so she might as well work with what she has. :D

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
ok, here we go with more info

Right now, Jack (4) and PJ (2.5) are in highback boosters from Evenflo with a 5-point harness that we can use as a seatbelt booster soon. These carseats are annoying and need to be re...placed anyway since the 5-pt harness only goes to 40 pounds and PJ's at 38 already. We were looking at maybe the Britax ones to replace them...they look narrower.

Thomas is in an Eddie Bauer convertible seat that I love because it goes from 5 to 100 pounds, RF, FF, booster, everything. I'd hate to get rid of this, but know I might need to...at least until one of the twins is big enough for FF in it. So Thomas (1) could also have a replacement seat if there are three narrow ones that could work for their ages in the back.

We will definitely RF the twins until 1 and should be able to do this easily in our 2nd row bench seat, since PJ and Thomas have both been in that seat now since Thomas was born. All three boys are FF right now.

We have a 2005 Grand Caravan.

I guess one option we haven't considered is having the twins RF in the third row with Jack in a highback booster in between. This would be easy when they're in the snap-in bucket-type seats, but will be more difficult when we have to get at them to buckle them in while they're in a different kind of rear-facing seat. Only trouble here is that the back middle seat does not have a shoulder strap, only a lap belt so we'd need a 5-point harness for Jack.

Ok- so I'm thinking

the 2.5 yo in Radian FFing- I dont see her RF at all;( where ever the T anchor is.

The twins in KFs 3rd row other 2 spots.

4yo 2nd row Nauti and 1 yo hopefully RF, but possible FFing in 2nd row in...???? something upright and narrow? How upright can you geta Radian in there? A Scenera?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
what year?
caravans had a lap belt only in the middle rear until like..a really recent model year..like 08? So putting a booster kid there is NOT an option.

I did some trials. in the rear row, you can get 2 FFing seat outboard with a RF titan in the middle. The RFing titan is only 11 inches across at the base where it puzzles, so it opens up options that you cant even get with a radian :)

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
caravans had a lap belt only in the middle rear until like..a really recent model year..like 08? So putting a booster kid there is NOT an option.

I did some trials. in the rear row, you can get 2 FFing seat outboard with a RF titan in the middle. The RFing titan is only 11 inches across at the base where it puzzles, so it opens up options that you cant even get with a radian :)

The 4 yo is TINY so really prob shouldnt be in a booster anyway. I planned to recommend a Nauti for him. And keep him in the 2nd row, plus he can help pass things back if he had too.

What FFing seats did you have with the Titan?

susanx4

i have an 03 and the only 3 across the back i can get is 2 radians and a marathon, or 3 radians. the bench middle seat you can but almost anything side by side.

momtoo3

How about 2 Evenflo Maestros for the older 2 and a Complete Air RF/FF for the 1 year old. All are pretty narrow seats. When one of the older 2 hits 50 pounds (weight limit on maestro) they could always use the Complete Air FF. Then KFs or Onboard 35s for the twins.
Your friend could take the 3 seats from the older kids to BRU for the trade in event and get 25% off each of the new seats. I just got my Maestro for $60. I think there is still another week or 2 left for the trade in event.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I've fit all kinds of 3 across in my 03. I just now went out to see with what I have. I put a Radian FF, Avenue FF, Titan (either RF or FF). I only have the 1 tether anchor in the center so I put the Avenue there. The Radian does well without so it went outboard. If at all possible, she should RF that 1yo. I'd say she will need just the 1 Radian and put the 4yo in the Radian. Then either Sceneras, Avenues, or Titans for the other 2 and they all go in the back row. If she will not RF the 1yo, then I'd recommend 2 Radians for the lack of tethers.
This allows her to still have easy access to the buckets. She can load/buckle the 1yo from the hatch (if she'll RF) and reach over to the other 2. I'd strongly recommend she do 3 harnessed seats, much easier to buckle since you install once and you're done.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Not sure that you will be able to get 2 Maestro's and anything in the middle. The Maestro cup-holders are the widest point and push the seats closer to the center because of the sides of the van.

I can do some significant playing with a 2005 (my sister has one) this weekend. I have a 2008

I have a Radian, 2 Maestro's, 2 Avenues, a 40RF Scenera, SS1 with 2 bases, Evenflo Symphony, an Evenflo booster (just for size purposes as all these kids need harnessed seats IMO). I will have a Complete Air next week.

Also there is additional top tethers that can be retrofitted on the back row possibly.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=76281&highlight=Town+country+tether&page=3

ETA I wonder if I could get 2 bases and a RF Scenera int eh back row... Hmmmm

Eileen

Hi, everybody. I'm the FB friend with the army of carseats. Thank you so much for all your tips!

Lorismurph, I just have a question about your #14. We're going to FF the one year old. You're right that there is only one tether attachment in the middle in the back and no latches on the sides. Am I right in understanding that the Radian does not work with a tether? Just the Avenue?

We'll probably do Radians for the other two (or three Radians if I can use one with the tether).

I'm not worried about the twins in the center bench seat...I think they'll be fine there. It was the three in the back I couldn't figure out (hadn't been introduced to the Radian yet), and we worried that even if we got a new car, we'd have to deal with captain's chairs and climbing around RF twins' seats and getting to the boys in back to buckle them.

Thanks again, everyone! This is like a crazy puzzle that we're sweating over. Much rather buy new car seats than a new car at this point, since ours runs great and we're happy with it. :) Thank God for the BRU trade-in event. I know what we'll be doing this weekend!

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
They don't sell the Radian in store to use the trade in event :(

You can buy the buckets with that though :)

Eileen

Blast!

Already have the buckets, but will definitely still check out the Radians. Thanks for the tip! :)

luckyclov

OK, I'm almost positive my previous GC was an '05.

I bet you could get 3 Radians across the 3rd row. Your 4 year old, 2.5 year old, and 1-year old could ride in Radians.

Your twins could ride in just about anything since they'll be in the 2nd row bench. You can use the BRU trade-in for the baby buckets (in store).

You should consider keeping your 1-year old rear-facing - not only is it much, much safer, but having RF seat(s) in the mix actually helps in the whole 3 across situation. You could possibly even re-RF your 2.5 year old, making it even more possible to accomplish. :) AND, if you have the little ones RF'ing, you can assist them with buckling through the back of the van (liftgate). Much easier and no climbing around involved.:)

Top tethering is highly recommended, but not mandatory...and the more seats you have RF'ing, the less (for now, atleast) you need to worry about tethering. You have the option to tether the Radian while rear-facing, too, if there's an acceptable anchor point.

You can not have a boostered child in a lap belt only (and there's also no headrest in that position), so one of the kids in a harnessed seat will have to ride in the center spot.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Do you have the stow n' go seats? I have an '07 T&C (clone to GC) and always have 5 seats installed. My back row bench currently has a Radian, Scenera, Turbobooster (all forward facing). The radian and scenera puzzle well together, and the turbo fits just under the lip of the scenera as well. Unfortunately, I can't tether the radian. I tried to get the retrofit, but long story short, they stopped making the part and I waited too long.

If you have don't have the stow n' go, you will have a lot more play room than I do. My seats have enormous plastic hinges that get in the way of car seat installs. I finally found something that works for now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC