Question why can seats go up to X amount FF but then less RF?

lovemybabies924

i was laying in bed last night and started wondering why a seat can take more weight in a FF crash than in a RF crash? and why cant they make all seats w/a higher RF & FF harness weight..would it really cost manufacturers so much more? I just think that they should be wanting to make more kids safe!:whistle:

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The dynamics are very different with RF and FF seats. One of the biggest problems for RF seats is overrotation. The heavier the kid, the more the seat is likely to rotate toward the front of the car in a crash.

In Europe seats employ foot props to help stabilize the seat. US testing doesn't allow for that, so the seat must be able to perform properly held in place with essentially just a lap belt.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Honestly, I do not think we need seats with higher FFing limits. There are seats on the market that can get almost all physically and developmentally typical kids to a safe booster age/size. I would not direct any advocacy energy towards this, because I do not think seats with 100# harness limits will make many kids safer at all.

I'd like to see 40# RFing as the standard for convertibles. I wouldn't like to make it a law or anything, but I'd like it to be the standard and I think it will be soon.

Carseat manufacturers are businesspeople. They make what the market demands.

hrice

Honestly, I do not think we need seats with higher FFing limits. There are seats on the market that can get almost all physically and developmentally typical kids to a safe booster age/size. I would not direct any advocacy energy towards this, because I do not think seats with 100# harness limits will make many kids safer at all.

I'd like to see 40# RFing as the standard for convertibles. I wouldn't like to make it a law or anything, but I'd like it to be the standard and I think it will be soon.

Carseat manufacturers are businesspeople. They make what the market demands.

Come on 40# RF True Fit!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There are actually seats in Europe, that RF to 55 lbs., but only FF to 40.

However, they have different installation requirements-- foot props, bracing, dual rear tethers...

Kat_Momof3

I would like to see a standard 40lb limit for rfing... a standard 50-65lb (or more... more is always fine) for ffing, and for all CONVERTIBLE/COMBINATION seats (not infant seats) to be required to accomodate children up to a 17"-19" torso (or more... more again is fine)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC