Tether part # for 2002 Grand Caravan

all together ooky

Tether part # for 2002 Grand Caravan (UPDATE)

Does anyone have the info on the part#s for adding top tethers to the third row of a 2002 Grand Caravan?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I just got the last two tethers anchors installed in the third row. Now I have all five rear seating positions equipped with top tether anchors. :thumbsup:

Part # 05012007AB (same as the Dodge Durango hardware kit)

It is a D-ring webbing strap that wraps around the seat bar on the back of the seat (same bar that the center tether anchor is attached to). Takes maybe 2 minutes to install-no tools. (I'll post pics when I get a digital camera :eek:)

Thanks Jennifer! The pics did help.

Last edited:
ADS

skaterbabs

Because you already have tether anchors, more cannot be added. :thumbsdown: According to my LATCH manual you have LATCH in the second row outboard positions, and a tether ancor for the third row center. The anchors are on the back of the seats.

all together ooky

Someone else said that they got them installed after they had the dealer call the head office. The confusion comes in because they used to have LATCH in all positions but didn't pass with three carseats using LATCH in the third row so they took out the LATCH. BUT, there should still be a way to add the top tethers for a seatbelt installation. KWIM? I know it's available....

Loves2sing

I know of some one else who has had this done as well. I believe that her Grand Caravan is also a 2002. The extra anchors are on the floor behind the seats I believe. This is all just from my memory, so I could be wrong, but I *know* that she does have the extra anchors. But I thought that they weren't allowed to that anymore. My friend had them added in her van when she bought the van brand new in 2002. I thought that they had changed the rules since then.

mommy2zander+baby

Senior Community Member
I'm so glad you were able to get them installed... It makes me so frusterated when I know something can be done, but dealerships in other towns are telling people it can't be done... seems to be happening a lot lately with retro-fitted tethers... :confused: But it always makes me smile to see your kiddo rfing in the scenera because she outgrew the Britax rfing too... Here's a pic of Zander in his new favorite spot, the middle of the 3rd row:
DSC00288.jpg

for the other pp, here's a picture:
DSC00294.jpg

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I know of some one else who has had this done as well. I believe that her Grand Caravan is also a 2002. The extra anchors are on the floor behind the seats I believe. This is all just from my memory, so I could be wrong, but I *know* that she does have the extra anchors. But I thought that they weren't allowed to that anymore. My friend had them added in her van when she bought the van brand new in 2002. I thought that they had changed the rules since then.

Mine is actually a 2003 and the outboard anchors were installed just in front of the tailgate sill on the floor.

I was also told they could not do it and made them call head office to find out where to install them since it was part of the deal when we purchased the vehicle... sure enough, they can do it.

I have been told recently that they can install tether anchors in vehicles newer than 2002, they just don't want to because it now costs them money, whereas they are re-imbursed for tether anchors on vehicles older than 2002.

all together ooky

I have been told recently that they can install tether anchors in vehicles newer than 2002, they just don't want to because it now costs them money, whereas they are re-imbursed for tether anchors on vehicles older than 2002.

Yup, the dealership I went to was taking so long to get back to me because they were trying to figure out if Chrysler would reimburse them! :mad:
Finally, since I continually came in there they just did it. Huh, I ended up helping them put the things in. Afterwards I was a little peaved because I could have just used the D-strap from the Britax-same thing.

all together ooky

Correct.

It's the same kit as the Durango retrofit kit. My guess is that if you look at a 2001 grand caravan (which has all three anchors in the third row) they are all attached to that same bar. The only reason they took them out was because having LATCH in all three seats didn't pass the tests. It's just my guess though. I haven't actually looked at a 2001.

skaterbabs

hmmmm....okay.....retrofit tethers are usually bolts that attach to a metal piece welded into the vehicle structural supports. I would not be willing to trust that setup.

stevel

ummm.. consider an accident that dislodged that rear seat from it's position at all. even if the seat your child seat is in is stationary, that rear seat could rip your child seat apart. I assume that's why all proper teathers are attatched to the structure of the car that isn't going to move... bad bad idea in my mind.

all together ooky

ummm.. consider an accident that dislodged that rear seat from it's position at all. even if the seat your child seat is in is stationary, that rear seat could rip your child seat apart. I assume that's why all proper teathers are attatched to the structure of the car that isn't going to move... bad bad idea in my mind.

This is incorrect. There are many, many top tethers that are attached to the back of the seats of vehicles. All three of the top tethers that came installed from the factory are on the back of the seats in my van. Van seats are removable.

If the seat becomes "dislodged" it won't matter how the carseat is top tethered. The kid will probably be dead. This would go for any vehicle.

stevel

This is incorrect. There are many, many top tethers that are attached to the back of the seats of vehicles. All three of the top tethers that came installed from the factory are on the back of the seats in my van. Van seats are removable.

If the seat becomes "dislodged" it won't matter how the carseat is top tethered. The kid will probably be dead. This would go for any vehicle.

still seems rediculous to me. oh well...

all together ooky

Hmmm...I'm still trying to figure out what is ridiculous about it? Maybe we're having communication misunderstandings?

The top tether is not the main carseat restraining system. The Lower Anchors or the seatbelt is what keeps the carseat in the vehicle seat. This is what takes the VAST majority of the force in an accident. The top tether decreases head excursion on a forward-facing seat.

I'm really confused by the "dislodging of the rear seat" issue too.

Where are your top tether anchors in your car? Vans are different....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC