Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Community Member all together ooky's Avatar

Question Tether part # for 2002 Grand Caravan (UPDATE)

Does anyone have the info on the part#s for adding top tethers to the third row of a 2002 Grand Caravan?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I just got the last two tethers anchors installed in the third row. Now I have all five rear seating positions equipped with top tether anchors.

Part # 05012007AB (same as the Dodge Durango hardware kit)

It is a D-ring webbing strap that wraps around the seat bar on the back of the seat (same bar that the center tether anchor is attached to). Takes maybe 2 minutes to install-no tools. (I'll post pics when I get a digital camera )

Thanks Jennifer! The pics did help.
    Last edited by all together ooky; 06-05-2007 at 06:59 PM.
    ~Sonja~

Gwenllian: Born Feb. 7, 2004
    Eleanor: Born April 1, 2008
    Beatrice: Born Sept. 30, 2012

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Tether part # for 2002 Grand Caravan

Because you already have tether anchors, more cannot be added. According to my LATCH manual you have LATCH in the second row outboard positions, and a tether ancor for the third row center. The anchors are on the back of the seats.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Someone else said that they got them installed after they had the dealer call the head office. The confusion comes in because they used to have LATCH in all positions but didn't pass with three carseats using LATCH in the third row so they took out the LATCH. BUT, there should still be a way to add the top tethers for a seatbelt installation. KWIM? I know it's available....
    ~Sonja~

Not according to the LATCH manual.
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    - Denis Waitley

It's possible. Just got them. See above.
    ~Sonja~

Please post pics, thanks, because according to the manual it isn't possible.
    - Denis Waitley

I know of some one else who has had this done as well. I believe that her Grand Caravan is also a 2002. The extra anchors are on the floor behind the seats I believe. This is all just from my memory, so I could be wrong, but I *know* that she does have the extra anchors. But I thought that they weren't allowed to that anymore. My friend had them added in her van when she bought the van brand new in 2002. I thought that they had changed the rules since then.
    Amanda- CRST & Mom
    J-08/01/05 & M-09/14/08

These pics are from mommy2zander+baby She has a 2002 grand caravan.
    I don't have a digital camera Thanks Jennifer!

Attachment 472

Attachment 473
    Last edited by all together ooky; 07-01-2007 at 03:31 PM.
    ~Sonja~

CPS Technician

I'm so glad you were able to get them installed... It makes me so frusterated when I know something can be done, but dealerships in other towns are telling people it can't be done... seems to be happening a lot lately with retro-fitted tethers... But it always makes me smile to see your kiddo rfing in the scenera because she outgrew the Britax rfing too... Here's a pic of Zander in his new favorite spot, the middle of the 3rd row:

for the other pp, here's a picture:

Jennifer, carseat freak (& CPST) & mommy to
    Zander '04~72#~Regent & Maddie '07~46#~FFing Radian 80
    & Lizzie~ '09~30#~RFing Radian XTSL & Gabbie~ '13~22#~RFing Combi Shuttle

what's it attached to?
    - Denis Waitley

Quote Originally Posted by JennasMommy View Post
    I know of some one else who has had this done as well. I believe that her Grand Caravan is also a 2002. The extra anchors are on the floor behind the seats I believe. This is all just from my memory, so I could be wrong, but I *know* that she does have the extra anchors. But I thought that they weren't allowed to that anymore. My friend had them added in her van when she bought the van brand new in 2002. I thought that they had changed the rules since then.
    Mine is actually a 2003 and the outboard anchors were installed just in front of the tailgate sill on the floor.

I was also told they could not do it and made them call head office to find out where to install them since it was part of the deal when we purchased the vehicle... sure enough, they can do it.

I have been told recently that they can install tether anchors in vehicles newer than 2002, they just don't want to because it now costs them money, whereas they are re-imbursed for tether anchors on vehicles older than 2002.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

Quote Originally Posted by aidensmom02 View Post
    I have been told recently that they can install tether anchors in vehicles newer than 2002, they just don't want to because it now costs them money, whereas they are re-imbursed for tether anchors on vehicles older than 2002.
    Yup, the dealership I went to was taking so long to get back to me because they were trying to figure out if Chrysler would reimburse them!
    Finally, since I continually came in there they just did it. Huh, I ended up helping them put the things in. Afterwards I was a little peaved because I could have just used the D-strap from the Britax-same thing.
    ~Sonja~

Quote Originally Posted by skaterbabscpst View Post
    what's it attached to?
    See my update above.

It's the bar on the back of the seat hidden by the cloth. If you lift the cloth that is over the anchor in the center seating position you will see that the anchor is attached to that bar. The D-strap just wraps around that same bar. Super simple.
    ~Sonja~

so it's attatched technically to the bottom of the removable rear seat, not to the actual structure of the van?
    '08 RDX w/tech
    '09 Odyssey EX-L

Correct.

It's the same kit as the Durango retrofit kit. My guess is that if you look at a 2001 grand caravan (which has all three anchors in the third row) they are all attached to that same bar. The only reason they took them out was because having LATCH in all three seats didn't pass the tests. It's just my guess though. I haven't actually looked at a 2001.
    ~Sonja~

hmmmm....okay.....retrofit tethers are usually bolts that attach to a metal piece welded into the vehicle structural supports. I would not be willing to trust that setup.
    - Denis Waitley

ummm.. consider an accident that dislodged that rear seat from it's position at all. even if the seat your child seat is in is stationary, that rear seat could rip your child seat apart. I assume that's why all proper teathers are attatched to the structure of the car that isn't going to move... bad bad idea in my mind.
    '08 RDX w/tech
    '09 Odyssey EX-L

Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    ummm.. consider an accident that dislodged that rear seat from it's position at all. even if the seat your child seat is in is stationary, that rear seat could rip your child seat apart. I assume that's why all proper teathers are attatched to the structure of the car that isn't going to move... bad bad idea in my mind.
    This is incorrect. There are many, many top tethers that are attached to the back of the seats of vehicles. All three of the top tethers that came installed from the factory are on the back of the seats in my van. Van seats are removable.

If the seat becomes "dislodged" it won't matter how the carseat is top tethered. The kid will probably be dead. This would go for any vehicle.
    ~Sonja~

Quote Originally Posted by all together ooky View Post
    This is incorrect. There are many, many top tethers that are attached to the back of the seats of vehicles. All three of the top tethers that came installed from the factory are on the back of the seats in my van. Van seats are removable.

If the seat becomes "dislodged" it won't matter how the carseat is top tethered. The kid will probably be dead. This would go for any vehicle.
    still seems rediculous to me. oh well...
    '08 RDX w/tech
    '09 Odyssey EX-L

Hmmm...I'm still trying to figure out what is ridiculous about it? Maybe we're having communication misunderstandings?

The top tether is not the main carseat restraining system. The Lower Anchors or the seatbelt is what keeps the carseat in the vehicle seat. This is what takes the VAST majority of the force in an accident. The top tether decreases head excursion on a forward-facing seat.

I'm really confused by the "dislodging of the rear seat" issue too.

Where are your top tether anchors in your car? Vans are different....
    ~Sonja~