Vent just a vent

RYLANSMOM

As I am putting my son into his car seat at target I notice an older man behind me waiting on me. I apologized even though it wasn't warranted but I let him through I even told him to be careful not to slip on the ice....he looked at me and SD if its that much trouble my child would stay home...meaning the car seat.. I was shocked and didn't know what to say! Stupid old man, after I left I thought of a million things to say...

ADS

henrietta

As I am putting my son into his car seat at target I notice an older man behind me waiting on me. I apologized even though it wasn't warranted but I let him through I even told him to be careful not to slip on the ice....he looked at me and SD if its that much trouble my child would stay home...meaning the car seat.. I was shocked and didn't know what to say! Stupid old man, after I left I thought of a million things to say...

Yes, I know it feels that way..."stupid old man"...BUT when he was little there weren't any carseats, when he raised his kids-they either had none or only a funky infant bucket and then nothing. It's totally different. Change is very tough for many as they get much older. My Mom agrees w/me about keeping her grandkids safe, but she has lamented how hard it is to learn this new stuff, and she has never learned how to install the kids seats or buckle them in, b/c she's afraid she'll do it wrong (her words). She's only 61! I was born in one of the first states to require infants to ride in carseats (Massachusetts, 1975)! My brother and I both rode in carseats until we were toddlers! She never let us ride in someone's lap as babies or in the front when we were under 5-6 yrs old.

I mean, really, what can you say to him? He doesn't know anything about the new laws and the new research. It would be different to be frustrated w/another parent who was totally ignorant...

henrietta

RYLANSMOM

I understand that...I guess I was just more irritated that I apologized for being in his way...let him through...warned him of ice and he gave me that crappy remark like I was bothering him and taking to long for his liking.

scariestone

You could just as easily been loading purchases into your car and been in his way as loading in your child. If he can't be patient enough to wait 30 seconds then HE should stay home.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
LOL - I once screamed "Merry Christmas to you, too!" at a grumpy old man who yelled at me in a parking lot for leaving the shopping cart between the cars so I could unload my kids into the van. He was MEAN!

He wouldn't let it go, either - he started out by grumpily telling me I shouldn't have my cart there, and when I smiled politely and pointed out it was the only safe way to get my kids in the van, he started ranting about lazy mothers who have too many kids. His wife had to drag him away! I was so flustered trying to figure out what to say without swearing I just yelled the first thing that came to mind. It really didn't sound very merry. ;)

luckyclov

It ticks me off when people vulture around me for my parking space. Like, is it gonna kill you to walk the extra 14 feet from the already vacant spot? Because if it doesn't, the 678 cars you're obstructing from passing just may.:rolleyes:

I may be guilty of taking my time loading stuff.:whistle:

RYLANSMOM

I leave my cart all the time...I won't leave my child in the car and walk away to return a cart...I saw an episode of Dr. Phil or oprah about a woman who got arrested for returning her cart while her child stayed in the car...even though she was seconds away and the weather was horrible. I don't chance it...and they can kiss my booty for that! Older generations don't understand that our time is so different...to many bad things happen and so many people have corrupted the system and its not easy being a parent period, let alone with the world the way it is. And if ANY stranger called me a lazy mom I think I would have to remind him that this lazy momma stayed up all night feeding and changing the child to be at work by 7 am come home to cook and clean, go to the grocery store, pay the bills and play with the children :) all the while only having a couple of hours sleep so please forgive me for not returning my cart!

solmama

Yeah, people can be grumpy, and impatient.

I may have loaded my car completely with my purchases, then suddenly realized I had "forgotten" an important item and rushed back into the store. But, only when I'm feeling grumpy. :).

pepsicola

I understand that...I guess I was just more irritated that I apologized for being in his way...let him through...warned him of ice and he gave me that crappy remark like I was bothering him and taking to long for his liking.

He was a jerk. No excuse for it. If other people bother him so much, he should stay home.

luckyclov

I never leave my cart! I can't justify the potential damage to someone's vehicle. My car has been dinged by stray baskets. I don't like it. In fact, it infuriates me.

I do my best to always park by a cart return thingie, but if I can't, then I just take whatever kids I have with me to return it. Many times, however, other people passing by, going into the store, will ask if they can have my basket. Sure, why not? It helps both of us. ;)

pepsicola

I never leave my cart! I can't justify the potential damage to someone's vehicle. My car has been dinged by stray baskets. I don't like it. In fact, it infuriates me.

I do my best to always park by a cart return thingie, but if I can't, then I just take whatever kids I have with me to return it.

I always park further out so that no one will wait for my spot, and I always park next to cart return. That way I can put her in the cart straight from the car and vice versa.

kaleigh71

I have always said I want someone to shoot me if I get that mean and grumpy. ;) I bet that guy paid with a check that wasn't written out ahead of time and made people behind him wait as well...:rolleyes:

luckyclov

I bet that guy paid with a check that wasn't written out ahead of time and made people behind him wait as well...:rolleyes:
And he probably reviewed his receipt for 37 minutes right in front of the debit/credit card machine and couldn't hear you when you said "excuse me" 64 times.

msg221

Similar thing happened to me on Sunday when I was trying to get Chase out of his seat except it was my DH who pissed me off! I didn't know that the man who was parked next to us was trying to get by because he never said anything. He was patiently waiting for me but it was my DH who said something like "Marsha!" and when I turned around to see what he wanted, that is when I saw the man behind me. So then when I closed the car door to let the man by and he said "it's okay, take care of the baby first!" Yes, I wanted to slap my DH for making it sound like I wasn't paying attention and that I was inconveniencing that man!

kaleigh71

Similar thing happened to me on Sunday when I was trying to get Chase out of his seat except it was my DH who pissed me off! I didn't know that the man who was parked next to us was trying to get by because he never said anything. He was patiently waiting for me but it was my DH who said something like "Marsha!" and when I turned around to see what he wanted, that is when I saw the man behind me. So then when I closed the car door to let the man by and he said "it's okay, take care of the baby first!" Yes, I wanted to slap my DH for making it sound like I wasn't paying attention and that I was inconveniencing that man!

My DH does that kind of thing to me and it drives me NUTS!

I had an opposite run in with an old man at walmart, I had a million and one errands and they were the in and out of the car kind, run in, run back out get buckled up again.. ect.. Nolan is HORRIBLE to get into his car seat, and I was fighting him and had finally wrestled him back down into the seat and got after him, and punished him (I had bought a treat for the kids after I got Fiona and I told him he was not allowed to have his now) anyways I hear a voice behind me go "such a mean mommy!" I turned like "huh?" and it was an old man, and he laughs and goes "I remember those days, I have been there wrestling kids into their car seats, it makes me happy to be old!" he was so cute! It made me feel better that someone was understanding...but I was shocked that an older man like that remembered putting his kids in car seats.. we are talking late 60s probably.

some people just don't understand.. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC