Car safety for 2 small dogs- Help!

Blondie87

So I have 2 Chihuahua puppies, and am trying to figure out the best way for them to ride in the car. Right now I have a small crate that they both go in together, and I buckle it in. I want to start looking for other options, as they are starting to get a little tight in the crate.

I would rather not use a crate to restrain them. I was thinking a pet booster type seat. One will be about 5 lbs full grown, the other around 7 lbs.

My preferences-
*I'd like for them both to ride together. They are close and could keep each other company.
*I want it to buckle in. The ones that attach like car seat mirrors do not seem that secure (but you guys would know that.)
*I would really prefer that it only take up ONE spot in the car for both dogs.
*I like it when the strap the secures my pet comes from the inside of the car seat or booster, not the outside as I would like my pets to stay IN the car seat/booster in an accident.

I liked this one a lot. It was what I planned on getting before I got my 2nd pup. It attaches securely (watch the video), and the strap comes from INSIDE the seat. If I have to, maybe I can just get 2 of them and have the dogs ride separately if needed.

There is also the FidoRido. This seemed good at first, only takes up 1 seat, fits 2 dogs, plastic and installs with the seatbelt. But the straps that tether to the dog seem really thin, as well as come from the side, which I'm not a fan of.

The large Snoozer seems great, It buckles in, fits 2 dogs, and it uses the vehicle seatbelt to restrain the dog (watch video). But the bed itself is a hard foam, so I am not sure how great it will stay in the car, but it's not what is securing the dogs anyways, just acting as a booster. But, it seems like it takes up 2 seats. Or I don't know if I could get the Medium that goes to 25 lbs, and just order an extra tether strap?

That's pretty much all I can find. I just need help! I want to buy something within this next month, and I can't find anything that feels safe that will fit both of them!

Last edited:
ADS

krasota

Nothin? What does everyone do for their pups in the car besides Pet Buckles and crates?

I don't have tiny dogs and I drive a sedan, so my only option is seatbelt harness like the pet buckle. A 60lb standard poodle doesn't need a boost up. :whistle:

Blondie87

We had originally had this - and it didn't really fit on the seat back because it was contoured and the booster was not. It was kind of annoying, so something to think about. We switched to a Pet Buckle and that isn't perfect either, but it's made by the company who makes car seat harnesses and it has metal buckles rather than plastic.

http://www.petco.com/product/112166...ooster-Pet-Car-Seat.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

Yeah see, that's the type of booster I don't like just because it attaches like a car seat mirror, not super secure. And I don't really feel comfortable with the Pet buckle because right now they are only 2 and 3 lbs (and I need something soon), and full grown won't be more then 7, so I don't like that option for them.

DaniChildcare

I have a fear of these things (not that my dog is quite small enough to fit anyways) but they just do not look secure to me. If your dog chooses to jump out, they could hang themselves (which you might not notice if they are in the back seat)

I also thing about a crash, and if that leash is holding onto their collars, they could be flung out of the seat (or whipped back into the plastic of it - (and that really scares me)

I crate my dog most long trips. For shorter trips i use a LATCH strap (by safeguard) - since my brilliant dog figured out how to unbuckle the cars seatbelt :rolleyes:

If you do decide to use the booster seat, i would strongly suggest a harness of some sort to use vs clipping it to their collar.

this is what i have:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/PetBuckle-Kwik-Connect-Universal-Harness-20-Inch/dp/tags-on-product/B0009YUE6C"]Amazon.com: PetBuckle Kwik-Connect Tether for the Universal Travel Harness Pet Seat Belt, 1-Inch by 20-Inch: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

and i use a mesh Puppia harness to attach it to (soft, and doesn't put as much strain on the chest were there to be an accident)

Petsmart has great deals on their Bargain Hound/Grreat Choice crates, which is what i would use in the car. Honestly, it's safer (and far easy to clean should you get a car sick pup like mine!)

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC