5.5 year old doesn't fit in a Radian 65.

JaRylan

Had to pick up my friend's daughter this morning at daycare and take her to kindergarten. I opened up the back door and she asks where she is supposed to sit? In her mom's vehicle she is using Rylan's old convertible in booster mode (gave it to her in January so that she was boostered instead of belted). I told her she could try sitting in Rylan's Radian but sadly she is too long in the torso by about 2 inches (guessing).

This weekend I'll be scouting out the cheapest no-back booster to keep in my trunk.

Last edited:
ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Had to pick up my friend's daughter this morning at daycare and take her to kindergarten. I opened up the back door and she asks where she is supposed to sit? In her mom's vehicle she is using Rylan's old convertible (gave it to her in January so that she was boostered instead of belted). I told her she could try sitting in Rylan's Radian but sadly she is too long in the torso by about 2 inches (guessing).

This weekend I'll be scouting out the cheapest no-back booster to keep in my trunk.

WOW! That is one tall girl! I think Zellers or Canadian Tire has super cheap backless boosters for around $20.

JaRylan

What convertible is she in if she doesn't fit in the Radian? Or are you meaning a 5pt that converts to a booster?

I think it is the Cosco Eddie Bauer 2-1 (ff only, 2 harness slots and belt guides), being used as a booster.

JaRylan

Sounds like she may even be taller/longer-torsoed than Hayley! Wow, that's really a tall girl!

She doesn't look as tall as Hayley does in the pictures you have, maybe that is because she is stockier.

Were here ears over the top?

I'm don't think so, guess that would mean that she could possibly use the seat according to SKJP's rules. If I get a chance I'll take a picture of her in the seat.

scatterbunny

I'd love to see pics! Just to see how bigger kids of varying sizes fit in the Radian, according to SKJP's rule of allowing shoulders over top slots. :)

trailrunnermom

I'd love to see pics! Just to see how bigger kids of varying sizes fit in the Radian, according to SKJP's rule of allowing shoulders over top slots. :)

This isn't the pic you were looking for, but it may help to give an idea of how the Radian is sized. Here's my almost-6-yo (49", 52 lbs) sitting in his little brother's Radian; you can see the top harness slot behind his shoulder. Since the company has said it's okay to use it with shoulders above the top slot, then he could still use the Radian if needed. (But I don't think I would put him in it if his shoulders were more than 1/2" above the top slots.)

000_0243.jpg

Here you can see he's got enough room (width-wise) in the seat. I don't have it buckled, though...the crotch buckle would be a close fit.

000_0239.jpg

IMHO, the Radian provides a good fit for 3-6 year-olds FF (and even older kids if they're on the smaller side). (Re: younger kids: I don't know since I didn't use ours RF; just bought it recently for 3 yo DS -- but from some of the pics I've seen posted, it looks pretty comfortable RF!).

scatterbunny

Thanks so much for those pics!

Hayley is 49 inches now, and 50ish pounds. I wish I felt comfy with shoulders over top slots, I could maybe justify the Radian as a spare seat for other kids, and for Hayley sometimes. :p

musicmaj

I am not sure how I feel about shoulders over the top slots yet either. Wilson is still about 2 inches below, but when Mary sits in it she is right at the top slots. I usually have her use his seat when he is not in the car instead of her booster. I can't decide if I should continue to use it with her when her shoulders are above. What would be safer at that point, a properly used booster or the radian?

scatterbunny

It's such a tough call, IMO. I think I'd probably be fine using it with shoulders over top slots by an inch or less. I just imagine what would happen if shoulders were more than an inch over the slots, how much pressure would be placed on the shoulders in a crash, and it scares me. No real-world data to back up my gut feeling, though.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
Re: booster vs harness. Joe Colella had excellent video at the update I went to yesterday. The booster crash video was scary seeing how much the properly restrained dummy moved. It was a 6 y/o dummy. Compared to the FF harness there was a HUGE difference. I'm not sure how comfortable I would be having the shoulders way above the top slots on the Radian, but would gladly have them a bit above if it meant keeping them in a harness.

Of course, booster vs lap/shoulder was amazing. Every parent that thinks their 6 y/o can ride in a l/s without a booster should see that video. The child was all over the seat, eventho it never left the seat belt. Scary stuff!

beeman

Canadian Tire or Zellers always have a good selection of backless boosters. I think they're 30-35$, but you might be able to get one on sale for 20$. Have fun shopping.

LuvBug

didnt SKJP say at lifesavers that it was the radian80 only that could be used past the top slots?
Im pretty sure that is what I remember being said.

JaRylan

I talked to my friend tonight and turns out that Sasha actually turned 6 in March (boy my memory is getting bad). She is taller than her 8 year old sister who is now having to wear her hand-me-downs, lol. I asked her to measure her or at least take a picture (beside some reference point) and send it to me, if she does I will post it.

I don't think I would be comfortable using the seat over the top slots, especially not for her considering how far over the top slots she was. Also it is only the 65 that I have.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC