time to go backless?

Well I got a high back turbobooster for 9.99 with rebate card things from bru lol.. I was planing to have have Julianna use it till around her birthday and then go backless and give the high back turbo (we have a spare backless one) to Fiona for booster training..

Well today I put her in it and woahhhhh... I guess she had a growth spurt since the last time she used the turbo in DH's car.. but the back is up as high as it goes and she is boarderline, for needing it to go higher..

I really need to not spend more money on car seats, but I am not sure I like the fit of the turbobooster backless on her... I will have to take pics when she gets out of school.

What are my options? am I stuck having to buy a pricier booster? I sold the frontier cause I felt it was being wasted as just a booster when it didn't install well as a 5 pt harness seat for us.. so now this is all we have..

she is 8.5 so I guess it isn't that back for her to be backless, it just stinks that the fit is not so hot on her shoulder.. even with the clip thing.. I will take pics like I said

ADS
hmm I wonder..... our GN is a great fit on her in booster mode, she was playing around in it one day.. I would have to raise the head rest to make sure and check.. I wonder if she could use that.. though honestly then Fiona would need a seat lol gosh that really doesn't make sense..

what do you do when your kids out grows the back and then backless is a poor fit?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Can you try a different backless? Harmony Literider seems to be a good catch-all and it's $13.50 at Walmart.

ETA: Or, because this is my 'suggestion of the day' lol, Cosco Pronto is $30 or so, and adjusts very tall (like 21-22", IIRC.) IIHS best bet and eventually converts to backless.

Mommy2Marcus

Can you try a different backless? Harmony Literider seems to be a good catch-all and it's $13.50 at Walmart.

ETA: Or, because this is my 'suggestion of the day' lol, Cosco Pronto is $30 or so, and adjusts very tall (like 21-22", IIRC.) IIHS best bet and eventually converts to backless.

I was also going to suggest the Harmony Literider as well. I have seen it suggested for several people & it is pretty cheap. Plus it comes in some really cute patterns.

is that taller than the Turbobooster, I have to go look lol

downsize41-1.jpg

here is the turbo backless.. not liking the shoulder belt fit.. DH is all insisting maybe she is too tall for a booster if that happens, ick great here we go..

Jennifer mom to my 7

Looks like if you just remove the shoulder positioner, it should be good. It will raise the belt to on her shoulder. You should have seem my almost 8 year old in a turbo last year. It was't pretty. Umm, she poured out of it, literally. Couldn't even get it buckled properly, and she was about 2 inches above the belt guide. Be glad you got to 8.5 in a high back. She has outgrown the Monterey back...

Looks like if you just remove the shoulder positioner, it should be good. It will raise the belt to on her shoulder. You should have seem my almost 8 year old in a turbo last year. It was't pretty. Umm, she poured out of it, literally. Couldn't even get it buckled properly, and she was about 2 inches above the belt guide. Be glad you got to 8.5 in a high back. She has outgrown the Monterey back...

downsize40-1.jpg

nope I put that on after trying it with out the shoulder guide thing.. this is what it looks like.. way worse.. I am going to try the harmony one at walmart and then a vivo is worse comes to worse, DH is not happy about it

Qarin

Is there a headrest on the seat behind her? It didn't look so close in the first picture, but the second suggests her ears may be above that seatback.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Is there a headrest on the seat behind her? It didn't look so close in the first picture, but the second suggests her ears may be above that seatback.

And now I too, have to ask, what vehicle? She seems to be leaning in the first pic, now, toward the belt, and even in the seat in the one without the belt positioner.

And like Qarin said, her ears look over the top of the seat back in the last pic.

And now I too, have to ask, what vehicle? She seems to be leaning in the first pic, now, toward the belt, and even in the seat in the one without the belt positioner.

And like Qarin said, her ears look over the top of the seat back in the last pic.

maybe she is leaning because I told her to move her hair so we could see the shoulder belt lol.. do you think if she leaned back it would actually be ok?

Jennifer mom to my 7

Okay, first pic, with the belt positioner, it looks like the booster itself is against the arm rest.

In the second pic, without the positioner, it looks like the booster seat is like 2 or 3 inches from the side of the car (arm rest).

Going to have to figure that out first, I think.

The pics don't look like she is positioned the same.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Pronto is about 2-3 inches taller than the Turbo, but needs vehicle support behind it, so it would be limited by when she outgrew the headrest.

Okay, first pic, with the belt positioner, it looks like the booster itself is against the arm rest.

In the second pic, without the positioner, it looks like the booster seat is like 2 or 3 inches from the side of the car (arm rest).

Going to have to figure that out first, I think.

The pics don't look like she is positioned the same.

I think that might just be camera angle, I already had the thing attached I just took one with it off and then routed the seatbelt through it and rebuckled.. unless it shifted a bit when I adjusted...... maybe... I didn't really notice..

I just think that no matter how I shift the belt around and make her move around it looks too far over on her shoulder, but tell me what you all think?

ca2003

I just think that no matter how I shift the belt around and make her move around it looks too far over on her shoulder, but tell me what you all think?

Have you tried to see if the fit is any better in the 2nd row or is that not a possibility for her to ride there?

Have you tried to see if the fit is any better in the 2nd row or is that not a possibility for her to ride there?
no not a possibility.. The true fit or avenue both do not fit rear facing in the third row, and there are no tether points back there.. so it is a booster only row.. in a year or so When Fiona is full time boostered they can switch if need be, but not right now

The Pronto is about 2-3 inches taller than the Turbo, but needs vehicle support behind it, so it would be limited by when she outgrew the headrest.
there is a gooood amount of head rest behind her, I didn't capture it in the pic though.. these are pics of the interior
http://www.kia.com/#/sorento/explore/interior/

there are a couple different types of head rests, but we have the type that matches the second row head rests, in the third row.. those rounded gum drop shaped ones lol

NannyMom

I don't think it's the camera angle. I think in the 1st pic she's sitting closer to the left (when looking at the pic). In the 2nd, she's sitting more towards the right. I don't know if the seat shifted or if she did.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC