Aaaaand now it's MY opinion on the Smart Seat... I'm in loooove.<3

WhatAboutPuppy

So, I met a high school friend of mine at BRU this weekend to help her and her husband pick out the next seat for her 15 month old. She wants to keep him RF for quite a while still... We came to the Smart Seat and after some number crunching she figured out that buying this seat would save them money. She needs 3 seats, was going to buy a good one and 2 cheap ones... with the 25% trade in on a seat I brought with me and the 20% coupons they have, 1 seat and 2 extra bases makes for the last seat they will literally ever need for him.

Ok, my opinion... I LOVE it! I was nervous of it's size and other reviews I've read about how massive it is... It fit in their 2002 Honda Accord 4-door. She is about my size at 5'6" and though the front seat had to be moved up she still fit comfortably and is pregnant with her second kiddo.

168040_545462482168_51701790_31821679_2006740_n.jpg

It's HOME!!

169067_545462492148_51701790_31821680_3172031_n.jpg

Jessica says Hi!! hehehe

180548_545462392348_51701790_31821672_1671521_n.jpg

Naked seat!

180330_545462437258_51701790_31821675_341301_n.jpg

I have a thing with steel reinforcement... I have a radian xtsl thing really... and I needed to point out that the steel bars run up through the seat, I circled the points where the steel pegs run through the steel rod and into the steel pieces on the base (which also is covered in steel rods, just sayin').

168745_545462502128_51701790_31821681_4414351_n.jpg

When the seat is unlocked those huge red flags stick way up into the seat, you can't mess it up! the flags go down and you check the base for the lock signs and your golden. I do think that unlocking the seat is easier without the infant insert in, but still, it's pretty darn easier.

168427_545462402328_51701790_31821673_7633348_n.jpg

I didn't know how to get a picture of this but this is the little cubby where the harness and buckles and everything go for booster use. You do NOT need to take the whole freaking cover off to do this, just a couple snaps.

179410_545462512108_51701790_31821682_2212183_n.jpg

I'm ashamed to say that the first time I played with the seat I thought the harness just didn't come out at all... Kinda like the EFTA. Nope! It does! But it's hard to see.

180867_545462417298_51701790_31821674_4635444_n.jpg

I have noticed that this seat is like a box. If the base fits, the seat will most likely fit... In other words, the base fit in this 3 across and the seat did too. The seat doesn't hang over the base much, rf or ff.

167512_545462472188_51701790_31821678_4031738_n.jpg

Holy Base Batman!
That base is huge, but, man... I've never ever ever installed a convertible seat so freakin' easily! There's not even a boot that has to be adjusted for a different recline.
You adjust recline by a VERY easy to move recline lever on the front of the seat (just like many convertibles).

168453_545462372388_51701790_31821671_4483273_n.jpg

Front seat is all the way back and the SS is at the correct recline. Frankly, this seat takes up less room front to back than my Radian had. It is wider but no wider than a frontier... And again, the install? AMAZINGLY easy. The opposite of the radian or the frontier.

21071_526430876658_51701790_31261093_1407469_n.jpg

The front seat couldn't go all the way back because of the angle of the tether anchor... Just for comparison.

Some things to consider and keep an eye out for at a car-seat check:
The manual states that the latch box (latch storage that attaches to the front of base) and the cupholder MUST be installed before use. I can get the exact wording later if needed.
The manual also states early in the manual that the seat can only be used in booster mode once the child has outgrown the harness by either weight or when their shoulders are over the top harness height... AWESOME! The side of the seat doesn't mention this and later in the manual it states that Graco "highly recommends" this. But hey!
The latch connectors were just uh... weird. The lock off, easy. The shoulder pads are straight from the 80's... they're MONSTROUS! lol
Judi took the angle readings of the bubble (Graco states that rear facing that the bubble HAS to be within the two lines) which happens to be correct in two different recline levels... But neither recline level is as low as 45*... We got about 32* and 38-40*. But I noticed later that the infant insert was designed interestingly... The area where a babe's head would lay had a lot less padding in it the lower parts of the insert... I was thinking this could be enough to pull the baby's head back without having the entire seat actually reclined to 45*.

There's really a lot that I just really like about this seat. lol :love:

Who knows, maybe it's just cuz they named a cover Jessica!

ADS

livsmum

You've got me thinking now; do I take back the Symphony 65 e3 that I bought yesterday, and get this?????

I've got a 6 month old, currently in a Keyfit 30. He won't be moving from that until he's outgrown it (I think 2-3 months).

I have a Pontiac Montana, he's behind the passenger. I just quickly tried to install the Symphony and it's going to need a small towel to get the correct recline.

I was initially thinking of the Smart Seat, but was worried that it might be too big.

Now you have me wondering........LOL.

Seriously though, if I return this (bought yesterday with the trade-in deal, will they issue me another coupon that I could use on the Smart Seat?

livsmum

You've got me thinking now; do I take back the Symphony 65 e3 that I bought yesterday, and get this?????

I've got a 6 month old, currently in a Keyfit 30. He won't be moving from that until he's outgrown it (I think 2-3 months).

I have a Pontiac Montana, he's behind the passenger. I just quickly tried to install the Symphony and it's going to need a small towel to get the correct recline.

I was initially thinking of the Smart Seat, but was worried that it might be too big.

Now you have me wondering........LOL.

Seriously though, if I return this (bought yesterday with the trade-in deal, will they issue me another coupon that I could use on the Smart Seat?

Spam

I thought there was eps in the head area too. What car is the three across in? I for sure thought this was way too big for where I'd want, but now hmmm.

eta. found Judi's post malibu.

Shanora

I believe she has a picture of the headwings with the EPS Foam. She just didn't post it up here.

I WANT this seat to come to Canada.

Jonah Baby

Probably already posted elsewhere, but can I have some stats on this seat?
Shortest harness? Tallest harness?
Weight limits?
How well does it ACTUALLY booster?
What did it cost for a seat plus two bases?

I'm very unimpressed, sorry, I can't quite pinpoint why. Perhaps the stats will make me impressed.

sherimoneill

Great review! I own this seat and have to agree it is fabulous. I tried my DD in both a radian xtsl and a ca first but returned them and waited for this one. She doesn't even fuss getting into this seat but putting her in the others was a chore. And it just feels so substantial around her.

One thing I think is great to mention as well, depending on the slope of your vehicle seat, you can have up to 5 recline positions RF and still be in what they consider the safe zone. Its great if you have a child that likes to be up and looks around, but then naps alot as you can recline them while they are sleeping without disturbing them.

I wouldn't trade this seat for any other!

WhatAboutPuppy

TerisBoys said:
There's no EPS in the headwings? Is it in the cover?

That just seems odd.

There is! I am so sorry. I'm on my phone now but I can post the pic tonight. I'm not sure why but judi's dh took out (it says across the front of it to not remove). It covers the entire head support piece.

WhatAboutPuppy

Jonah Baby said:
Probably already posted elsewhere, but can I have some stats on this seat?
Shortest harness? Tallest harness?
Weight limits?
How well does it ACTUALLY booster?
What did it cost for a seat plus two bases?

I'm very unimpressed, sorry, I can't quite pinpoint why. Perhaps the stats will make me impressed.

The stats are posted in the stat posting area. I can't link from my phone but maybe someone else will.
Weight limits are 5-40 rf, 20-65 ff, and 30-100 booster. The manual does try to push for longer harness use though. And then the side states booster can be used from 3-10. Lol sigh, go figure.
Maybe someone has some booster pictures?
The seat and 2 extra bases will cost them $383.

And you don't have to apologize for not liking it! Lol

My situation is such that this seat works perfect... I don't have a child. I babysit from time to time and have been called to help after someone was in an accident with their child. I need/want a seat that will do everything. Sure it is pretty large and that means it won't fit in every car but either did my radian. And honestly with this install I think I'll know a lot faster if it's gonna fit or not. But again, this seat works for me. It's better that some people stay skeptical or we'd be Ross. Or Russ? Whatever skjp rep's name is. Lol

Phineasmama

Rear-facing in a harness from 5-40 lbs, forward facing in a harness from 20-65 lbs. then as a belt-positioning booster from 30-100 lbs.

Sorry I'm just not as impressed with those stats. For one thing, whose kid is ready for a belt positioning booster at 30 lbs? To me this is basically a Marathon that turns into a non harnessing booster. I would rather stick with my convertible car seats and then have something that can actually harness for a long time like the Frontier 85.

WhatAboutPuppy

Phineasmama said:
Rear-facing in a harness from 5-40 lbs, forward facing in a harness from 20-65 lbs. then as a belt-positioning booster from 30-100 lbs.

Sorry I'm just not as impressed with those stats. For one thing, whose kid is ready for a belt positioning booster at 30 lbs? To me this is basically a Marathon that turns into a non harnessing booster. I would rather stick with my convertible car seats and then have something that can actually harness for a long time like the Frontier 85.

Huh?
Most boosters do that.
I'm very impressed that in two separate places in their manual they state not use the booster until the harness is outgrown.

And people like me can't afford a marathon (with it's poor forward facing head excursion ratings) AND a frontier 85. Not to mention I'm NOT caring around two huge seats in wait for an emergency and yet STILL not having a seat that a baby much younger than 6 months isn't going to fit in.

Britax has some work to do.

fyrfightermomma

So I have the uber tall freakish child. I know you can only go to a certain height RFing in this seat. Is it decent? I hate the Radian but I think soon it will be all he fits in. I would be happier with this but I have no clue how tall it will go RFing. Too bad it wasn't all the way up! And I dig the leg room. I admit it :)

canadiangie

The overlap that you see in the weight limits is really common.

Your Marathon has overlap. Example: it will forward face at 20 or 22lbs but also rear face up to 33, 35 or 40lbs (depending on when you bought it).

The Smart Seat fills a niche for families who want just one seat, or need to move their seat around a lot. With a rf limit of 40lbs, and a ff limit of 65lbs with 18" top slots it really is quite good, honestly. Later converting to a highback booster that adjusts nice and tall, and well, I don't think many of us will complain.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC