2002 Malibu 3 across- Smart Seat, Radian, Marathon

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
My turn to play with the new Smart Seat. I was totally against buying this seat. I was told it was a beast and it looked to take up way to much room.

I wanted to see if it would fit in my Malibu.

Here are pics of RF Marathon, RF Radian (old boot), RF Smart Seat.

IMG_4700.jpg

IMG_4708.jpg

IMG_4710.jpg

The passenger seat is all the way back. It is not touching the front seat.

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

The base.

IMG_4715.jpg

Forward facing.

IMG_4712.jpg

IMG_4713.jpg

The one thing that I do not like about the Smart Seat is that you can not recline to 45 degrees. I measured 30-40 degrees. There is a bubble level on the side. The bubble must be iside two lines. I do think a newborn would be fine in it. I did not try my doll in it though for fit. Oh also, the manditory harness covers/pads. They must be used rear facing.

For comparison. Here is the Frontier 85, in place of the Smart Seat. It fits about the same. Well, basically. The frontier cup holder was under the radian. So really, the smart seat is a little narrower.

IMG_4717.jpg

IMG_4720.jpg

IMG_4722.jpg

IMG_4723.jpg

IMG_4724.jpg

IMG_4725.jpg

IMG_4726.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

DaniChildcare

I cannot justify this seat
i cannot justify this seat
i cannot justify this seat

(right now)

ohhhh, but i want one!!!! :whistle:

Thanks for the pictures!!! :)

tl01

Okay... so how did you get it to take up so little space RFing? Explain how you installed the base. In my car it takes up so much more space that I really wouldn't be able to have my husband drive the car if the seat was installed behind him... and I have a big car. I can also measure a huge difference when the seat is installed FFing too. I'll need to try again tomorrow. I want to keep it but with the current installs it just seems silly.

love-pink

Great pictures!!! Would you mind taking of a few next to the rn? Like out of the car to show the width difference. Do you think the ss will puzzle well next to a booster so buckling wont be so difficult?

Pixels

Does the SS have an infant insert that provides more recline for a noob, like the Cco?

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

featherhead

Wow, I'm impressed! Are the side bolsters not as big in the 2002 as the 2003? If they are the same how on earth did you manage that? Maybe they are squishier than mine.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I think the 02 and the 03 are the same.

There is an infant insert. It was left in the house.

This seat lives over an hour from me, so can't really get pics right now.

Tara- Jess installed, but really, it is just a safe seat base install. Did you have the bubble at the correct place?

Last edited:

featherhead

I think the 02 and the 03 are the same.

There is am infant insert. It was left in the house.

This sea lives over an hour from me, so can't really get pics right now.

Tara- Jess installed, but really, it is just a safe seat base install. Did you have the bubble at the correct place?

Interesting. I'm pretty sure if I tried it in my car it would end up majorly twisted toward the centre because of that bolster.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Codi, um, go look. ;) You tell me.

When you separate the two pieces out, it is really not bad. No worse than the radian.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, I posted more pics above of the Frontier VS the Smart Seat.

Now here are pics of the TFP in place of the Smart Seat.

Without the headrest, the TFP takes up the same room as the Smart Seat, for front to back room.

IMG_4731.jpg

Side to side, the TFP takes up the same room as the Smart Seat.

IMG_4737.jpg

With the headrest on, I had to move to front seat up.

IMG_4732.jpg

And here are pics of the 3 across.

IMG_4736.jpg

WhatAboutPuppy

Great pictures!!! Would you mind taking of a few next to the rn? Like out of the car to show the width difference. Do you think the ss will puzzle well next to a booster so buckling wont be so difficult?

Ok, I found when doing this 3-across that the SS doesn't really... uh... puzzle. Really. It reminds me a lot of my car. It's a box. lol It's too late tonight but maybe tomorrow evening I'll get some more pictures! I don't know if you'd want to but, the opening in the base seems like if you popped this seat out then your booster rider could buckle through the routing path. It might seem like a lot of work, but it would be less work than uninstalling an entire convertible... ya know?

featherhead

Ok Judi, you are the queen!!! I think I need to go out and try the TF and Radian side by side. I had them like that for a bit, but the Radian was so off center I never would have been able to get another seat in there! Not that it matters since my TF is now forward-facing anyways.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yes, I got the radian at 28ish degrees and had to mess with it to get it to 35 degrees.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC