RF height room check: Complete Air

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I have an opinion ;) but I want to hear what others think. I apologize for the angle; these were with the camera touching the roof of the car and I couldn't get a straight-on shot because her head is behind the wings and you can't see the top of her head

DD is 5y7m, 43" tall and 37.5 pounds

IMG_7831.jpg

IMG_7832.jpg

IMG_7833.jpg

Please don't mind the goofy faces, she's 5 :rolleyes:

And OT, but WTH is up with my Radians? I can't get the wings to adjust up higher on either :confused: I took my other XTSL out of my car today and had 4 other techs helping me and we couldn't figure it out. She's over the top slots but I was thinking of reharnessing her in my car, since the booster is a PITA to buckle, but she's totally squished by the wings.

IMG_7836.jpg

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Are you following top of shell or top of headrest?

The thing is with the CA, in my opinion, when you opt to ignore the 40" rule you're somewhat bound by conventional rules elsewise -- ie, 1" to the top of the shell. If you want to go with the 'top of headrest' rule, you have to follow the 40" rule, kwim? I almost feel like you can't double-dip on parental decision/exceptions. But, that's JMO.

She does look like she has a bit of room before she's 1" from the top of the headrest. I'm not sure I'd use it for my kid, though. Not unless there were no other options.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I was going off the shell itself. I don't know how comfortable I would be to use it until the child's head is even with the top of the shell. For one, the kid's shoulders would be jammed under the wings.

jjordan

Hard to tell really from the picture, but it looks to me like she is at least to the top of the shell.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I didn't know you could use the CA RFing with the headrest above the shell.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think she's at/over. RE: the Radian: I think that's as high as the headwings go; that's why the XT/XTSL isn't really practical for use over the top slots, and I recommend the 65 or 80 for that.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Thanks for the info about the Radian; I thought I was nuts.

In the CA manual it says the child can RF until the head is even with the top of the headrest; in the diagram the headrest is even with the shell but it adjusts much higher.

My opinion was that I am not comfortable using the seat RF any longer despite the fact that she is still under the top of the head rest; it seems a bit flimsy to me to continue with her head clearly above the shell.

firemomof3

My opinion was that I am not comfortable using the seat RF any longer despite the fact that she is still under the top of the head rest; it seems a bit flimsy to me to continue with her head clearly above the shell.

I agree. At her age and weight I wouldn't even consider rf with the CA

Kat_Momof3

I'm not comfortable with her rf in either of those seats like that... for the CA, it's parental decision at this point, cause I think she TECHNICALLY fits, but I just wouldn't do it... if she were a gigantic 2-3yr old, maybe... but not at 5.

does she fit in the CA ff??

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
does she fit in the CA ff??

No :( It has a smidge more room than the Radian but she outgrew it a month or so ago FF.

Right now I don't have any harnessed seats she fits in but I'm really not comfortable boostering her full time.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I am looking at the Frontier 85...I am doubtful it will fit in the car, but I'm going to try one at BRU.

singingpond

DD is 5y7m, 43" tall and 37.5 pounds
And OT, but WTH is up with my Radians? I can't get the wings to adjust up higher on either :confused: I took my other XTSL out of my car today and had 4 other techs helping me and we couldn't figure it out. She's over the top slots but I was thinking of reharnessing her in my car, since the booster is a PITA to buckle, but she's totally squished by the wings.

IMG_7836.jpg

I think she's at/over. RE: the Radian: I think that's as high as the headwings go; that's why the XT/XTSL isn't really practical for use over the top slots, and I recommend the 65 or 80 for that.

This is exactly the sort of thing I was searching for in a recent thread:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=157360

So, although I know this wasn't the main focus of this thread, thanks to Ketchupqueen for the information about older children in the Radian, and to the OP for the photo of your DD in the XTSL :)

By the way, I notice the O2 pattern on the Complete Air in your pictures -- what is the fabric like? Do you like the SE vs. the LX version -- does it seem better quality or more comfortable for the child?

Katrin

Kat_Momof3

I am looking at the Frontier 85...I am doubtful it will fit in the car, but I'm going to try one at BRU.

if it doesn't... do you have any lapbelt-only positions (cause I know with that long of a torso that the maestro and Nautilus are out of the running... I'm thinking if you do, you could do an ezonpro 86 Y harness with a booster for a year or two until you are more comfortable with her in a booster with a lap/shoulderbelt full time)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
No I have lap/shoulder belts in all 3 positions. I am looking at either the ProSPORT or the Frontier, depending on how they puzzle with a Radian or CCO (FF Radian in the middle for DD2 until DS outgrows his CCO, at which point he'll go into the Radian RF in the center). We're planning on getting a vehicle with a 3rd row in a few months.

I've considered a vest, but she had to be able to buckle it herself, or I have to be able to buckle it one-handed. I am not familiar enough with the vests to be sure that could be done. Right now she can buckle herself in her booster, with me just sliding it out to give her room, and then sliding it back into place and checking the belt fit.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
By the way, I notice the O2 pattern on the Complete Air in your pictures -- what is the fabric like? Do you like the SE vs. the LX version -- does it seem better quality or more comfortable for the child?

To me it looks like a fugly pinstripe suit up close :eek: but the fabric feels very silky smooth and it looks great from a distance. I had originally bought the regular model available at BRU, and replaced it with the SE when the first was crashed. Honestly the regular version fit better in my car FF because of the little FF foot, but I love the ease of install with the base. I think LX means the recline base, "SE" is just "special edition" which is the recline base with pretty fabrics, and O2 is the cover choice (I think?!). The padding is all the same from what I have seen, but IME the base is worth the extra money.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC