Britax Frontier 85 on airplane?! Cup Holder for Radian?!

Kaykella808

Hi all! I am debating between 2 seats...

A Britax (NEW STYLE) Frontier 85 or a Sunshine Kids Radian... here are my issues...

My son is 4, he is 42" tall, and about 42lbs. We are traveling together from Hawaii (our home) to CA this year 2 times. Both times, he will be in a seat on the airplane. He currently sits in a Graco Nautilus... and I do so like it, but we do need an extra seat for my husband's car, so I thought that with the "new" seat we get for the plane, we can use in his car as well.

I have read with the Britax Frontier's OLDER style used on the plane, there is NO way to get the tray table down. I see on the NEWER style (85) it is slimmer on the bottom, so Im wondering if it will in fact go down, if I leave his armrests up? Does anyone know if this will work? I know it's wide, but I will have to life the armrests on the plane to make it work, and I do not have a problem with that. My main concern is the tray, so he can color, and use it for his DVD player oto watch a movie.

In addition to flying with the seat for 6hr flight. We are also going to take a road trip in CA, which will be around the same amount of time 6hrs. I want him to be comfortable in his car seat to be able to sleep. This is one of my main reasons for bringing on the airplane as well, since it will be early in the morning, I want him to be able to comfortably nap...

With that regard, Im not sure if the Sunshine Kids Radian's recline?! I have read that they are pretty much straight backed, and will not recline even slightly so childs head is always falling forward?! I know the tray table WILL work with the Radian... My concern is since he's already older, if wont last as long because of height. I have already realized that I can re-sell on Craigslist if this happens... but since we will be using this 2 times this year alone on the plane, it might be worth it...

Does anyone know of a CUP holder for the Radian that WILL work? IF that radian HAD the cup holder, Id be more comfortable with this seat. I know it sounds silly, but you really do not realize how much easier it is to drive when your child can be self sufficiant and use his own cupholder rather than you haveing to reach back to give from him...

Please, and suggestions anyone has... with any carseat cups, or advise on what to do so he will have access to the tray table is GREATLY appreciated....

Mahalo! :)

ADS

ctbcleveland

I'll confuse you by adding another suggestion to the mix.

What about the Evenflo Maestro? It has really nice cupholders and is super-light weight.

I will double check another poster's thread, but I am pretty sure her son was able to use the tray table with this seat.

The radian is fine - but you are paying a lot of money for a seat that is really great for rear-facing. I think the Maestro will do everything you need it to do, be much lighter weight, and have the potential to be a booster for a short while. It isn't a tall booster, so it won't be your last seat like a Frontier might be.

I am linking Babies R Us so you can see the two cupholders. It is sold in stores in mainland targets and online at Sears, Babies R Us, etc.

Yep - I confirmed in the thread below that another poster did use the tray table with her son and this seat.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=154731

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4319493&CAWELAID=607716232

Kaykella808

Thanks for the reply... I considered the Maestro... but because he wont be able to use it long due to the height... that's the MAIN reasons why Im more interested in the Britax or the Radian... They're just safer. I had an Evenflo a year ago, and was NOT impressed with it. Although, I have been considering this as an option as well, since it is lighter. However, I did already purchase the GOGO KIDZ for this reason... I REALLY want the Frontier to work for the plane, since I really want and like that seat... but I dont want to buy it unless i know for sure it will work... otherwise, I will just get the Radian XTSL since it's the same price with free shipping on amazon... ugh! I wish I wasnt such a pain when it comes to this... lol!

LittlePeanut

The Radian may not have a recline feature but I have always managed to get a comfortable angle with a very tight installation that prevented head flop issues. It just depends on where you put the pressure when you're installing it. It takes some practice so make sure you get it with time to play around with it before you travel.

christi2705

We've used the Frontier 85 on a plane a few different times. It installed easily and fit within the armrests. It does have a slight recline to it so dd has always been comfortable in it and we've never had any problem with head slump. She wasn't able to get the tray table down all the way but it didn't bother her...she just put stuff on her lap.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Thanks for the reply... I considered the Maestro... but because he wont be able to use it long due to the height... that's the MAIN reasons why Im more interested in the Britax or the Radian... They're just safer. I had an Evenflo a year ago, and was NOT impressed with it. Although, I have been considering this as an option as well, since it is lighter. However, I did already purchase the GOGO KIDZ for this reason... I REALLY want the Frontier to work for the plane, since I really want and like that seat... but I dont want to buy it unless i know for sure it will work... otherwise, I will just get the Radian XTSL since it's the same price with free shipping on amazon... ugh! I wish I wasnt such a pain when it comes to this... lol!

We have no safety ratings and all of the seats pass the same testing, so although the Britax and SK may *feel* safer to you, there is certainly no proof that that's the case. :)

The top slots on the Maestro are the same as on your Nautilus, and purchasing a Maestro now and a booster in a couple of years will still be less expensive than a Frontier now. I agree with ctb that at your son's size, I would probably go with that. (We also have several posters who have noted that their kids prefer the Maestro, comfort-wise, over their Nautiluses.)

Certainly, if you prefer the Frontier or the Radian, you can go with those -- but I think both are overkill for your purposes.

Kaykella808

We've used the Frontier 85 on a plane a few different times. It installed easily and fit within the armrests. It does have a slight recline to it so dd has always been comfortable in it and we've never had any problem with head slump. She wasn't able to get the tray table down all the way but it didn't bother her...she just put stuff on her lap.

Hi! Thanks for your reply... And thank you to the others as well...

Im wondering if you took any pics with the Frontier 85 in use?! since the tray table was NOT able to go down ALL the way, was it able to go down a LITTLE? I just want it to go down enough for my son to put his DVD player on it... and possibly color?! IDK... I know the longevity will be longer with the Frontier... and i LOVE everything about it... So, im trying to figure out what Im going to do... I LOVE the cow print, too...

U

Unregistered

Hi all. Came across this tread while trying to figure out how difficult it will be to use our new Britax 85 on a flight. We previously had the Boulevard CS convertible seat and tried several times to use it on a plane and it was a nightmare every time. The belt buckles on the plane are too thick to thread properly through the belt path and the flight attendants (who are supposed to be there for our safety, right?) were completely impatient and unhelpful. We did finally just go ahead and use it with the belt threaded incorrectly but I was annoyed by the whole process.

We have another flight (tomorrow!) and dh is totally opposed to bringing the carseat on the plane at all. He wants our dd (now 3 y.o., 42 lbs) to sit on the seat with just the lap belt to keep her in place. I'm not totally comfortable with this idea but dh is just so anxious about bringing a car seat on a plane again. Plus he keeps telling me that if the plane goes down what difference is it going to make. When I tell him that it could protect her in case of turbulence or a rough landing he thinks I'm overreacting and just now told me that he flat out does not agree that she is safer in a car seat. I'm just wondering if anyone has hints/advice about how exactly you would go about installing the Frontier 85 on a plane. Especially since we've only had it about a week now and only ever installed it using the latch installation. I'd like to know that it would not be a hassle like the last time we tried it with our Boulevard.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative to a regular car seat. I've seen those things that can convert a lap belt to a harness. Any thoughts on that.

Really appreciate any feedback.

BeautifulChaos

Hi all. Came across this tread while trying to figure out how difficult it will be to use our new Britax 85 on a flight. We previously had the Boulevard CS convertible seat and tried several times to use it on a plane and it was a nightmare every time. The belt buckles on the plane are too thick to thread properly through the belt path and the flight attendants (who are supposed to be there for our safety, right?) were completely impatient and unhelpful. We did finally just go ahead and use it with the belt threaded incorrectly but I was annoyed by the whole process.

We have another flight (tomorrow!) and dh is totally opposed to bringing the carseat on the plane at all. He wants our dd (now 3 y.o., 42 lbs) to sit on the seat with just the lap belt to keep her in place. I'm not totally comfortable with this idea but dh is just so anxious about bringing a car seat on a plane again. Plus he keeps telling me that if the plane goes down what difference is it going to make. When I tell him that it could protect her in case of turbulence or a rough landing he thinks I'm overreacting and just now told me that he flat out does not agree that she is safer in a car seat. I'm just wondering if anyone has hints/advice about how exactly you would go about installing the Frontier 85 on a plane. Especially since we've only had it about a week now and only ever installed it using the latch installation. I'd like to know that it would not be a hassle like the last time we tried it with our Boulevard.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative to a regular car seat. I've seen those things that can convert a lap belt to a harness. Any thoughts on that.

If you don't bring the carseat on the plane what would you do with it? In general checking it is advised against, as it can damage the seat and you may not even see the damage done.
I haven't flown with the F85, but I have installed with a lap belt (short belt path) and it was pretty easy, especially because of the holes in the side to help tighten the straps.

Jillybeans5

Are you thinking of the Ride Safer Travel Vest? You can't use it on the plane, but it would be an acceptable option at your destination. Although I would still try to convince your husband that having her riding in her familiar car seat that she is comfortable and can sleep in is a better option.

U

Unregistered

We will be taking the seat with us either way as it will be needed at our destination. I hadn't considered the issue of it being damaged in transit. That is kind of scary, esp. since our infant will be riding on a lap so we have no choice but to check her car seat. We have travel bags for both of the seats, which I suppose will protect them from cosmetic damage mostly but probably nothing more serious than that.

I didn't know about the RSTV until reading these posts. Now I wish I had done my homework sooner, as we leave tomorrow and I won't have time to get one.

I guess we will just give the carseat a try on the plane and if it doesn't work we'll gate check it after the fact. Hubby will be annoyed but I'll have better peace of mind if she can be in her seat.

Thanks for the feedback.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Bring your baby's seat to the gate as well. If there's an empty seat you can arrange so that you guys are next to it (or at least one of you and the baby) and then you can put the baby in a carseat. In a rough landing a 20 pound baby will be about 3,000 pounds of force. Rather impossible to hold, and deadly to anyone they hit, including themselves. Plus, after the smoke clears, a baby in a carseat will be where you left them. A baby in arms can be six rows in either direction, in the overheads, under someone's feet, anywhere. Always buy everyone flying a ticket and use a carseat on board. The soap in the lav gets restrained so it doesn't hurt anyone. The FAA recommends a carseat for everyone under 40 pounds. As does the AAP and NTSB.

You have two things going for you. Flying is safe enough that generally nothing is going to happen. Good thing, because if it was my head that was hit and I died from a flying baby, my husband would be annoyed you didn't buy a ticket. Second, at 40 pounds the lap belt will fit most kids. However, at three years old the buckle may still come up too high on her belly, which would put her at risk for internal injuries. But you can usually get the lap belt at least tight.

If you don't want to travel with a carseat for her in the future, definitely look into the Ride Safer Travel Vest. She should fit well in a size small. Then you'd only need to bring the baby's seat on board.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

I have been having a similiar struggle trying to decide between the Frontier 85 and the Radian. My son is 2 1/2 (38lbs), and we plan to travel with the seat, so looking for info on using the seats on a plane, too. While I like that the Frontier could last longer (as a booster in the long run), I prefer the higher latch weight of the Radian. But I am also concerned about no recline (head slumping) in the Radian.

We have a Recaro ProSport that I LOVE, but I can't find any reviews about using this on the plane (though I know it's FAA approved). I would just get another ProSport unless it would be preferable to have the Frontier or Radian on the plane. I've also heard that it's onerous to carry the Frontier through the airport, but I think any of them would be!

I also have a CARES harness, but we would need a seat at our destination regardless, and I think there would be a better chance he would sleep on the plane if in a car seat. I have also heard that traveling with a Radian is risky in that it may not install in the rental car at our destination?

jujumum

I highly recommend a Maesto for travel. At around 10 lbs it is half the weight of either a fn or rn, and fits in airplanes with the tray table down. We just purchased one on sale for only $64 to use as both a travel seat and as a spare. It is surpisingly solid and well padded for the low price.

ninejr

Unregistered said:
I have been having a similiar struggle trying to decide between the Frontier 85 and the Radian. My son is 2 1/2 (38lbs), and we plan to travel with the seat, so looking for info on using the seats on a plane, too. While I like that the Frontier could last longer (as a booster in the long run), I prefer the higher latch weight of the Radian. But I am also concerned about no recline (head slumping) in the Radian.

We have a Recaro ProSport that I LOVE, but I can't find any reviews about using this on the plane (though I know it's FAA approved). I would just get another ProSport unless it would be preferable to have the Frontier or Radian on the plane. I've also heard that it's onerous to carry the Frontier through the airport, but I think any of them would be!

I also have a CARES harness, but we would need a seat at our destination regardless, and I think there would be a better chance he would sleep on the plane if in a car seat. I have also heard that traveling with a Radian is risky in that it may not install in the rental car at our destination?

They will definitely sleep better in a car seat than with the CARES. We flew with the CARES last summer (A would have been 2 months shy of turning 3) because we had a seat at our destination. She had a hard time getting comfortable and I was constantly trying to keep her from sliding down (there is no crotch strap with CARES). Next time we flew was with a car seat and she slept on all 4 flights, it was so much easier even with issues of not being able to use the tray table and trouble with install, and lugging the seat through the airport.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC