Please help me decide: trip to Germany

gsdguenter

I am totally overwhelmed with choices and need some help, please.

I am flying to Berlin for 1 week at the end of April and will be booking my flight as soon as I get my tax refund back.

DD2 will turn 2 during the trip, not sure if that matters since I'd buy them each their own seats anyway. DD1 will be 3y 9m and is currently 37 lbs.

So, here is the complicated part:

Scenario #1: only bring DD1 (easier and cheaper, but I feel badly)
Scenarios #2: bring DD1 and DD2 (fun to have both but expensive and might be overwhelming by myself :confused:)

All the things to take into account:
1. Can I fly by myself with 2 LOs?

2. What seats should I bring for each LO? (I can choose from the following seats: XT, XT, XTSL, MT, MA, MA, BLVD, BLVD, CA, MR)

3. Should I use one of the seats I already own (see list above) for DD2 and then buy a RSTV for DD1?

4. If I only bring DD1 I might be able to get away with not renting a car and just do everything by train. Definitely cheaper, but is it fair to leave DD2 out, and would the trains just be too much for DD1 - and me for that matter with the luggage and car seat? I guess if I had RSTV it might not be as much of an issue . . .

Thanks for taking the time to read, partly I just had to get my thoughts out on paper, but I also am really looking for some help :thumbsup:

Don't know which airline I am flying yet, whichever is cheaper with the least amount of stops.

Thanks a bunch!

ADS

Kaykella808

Hi there...

Sounds like you want to take the 2 kids. I would suggest bringing both (if you can). Airlines require 1 adult per 2 children. So, if you had 3 kids, and only 1 adult, would be complicated. So this is a YES

I would say that if you have the Sunshine Kids Radians, use them, since they fold. However, Britax seats are from what I have read easier for installation. Since you might be wanting to RF the younger one, and FF the other. You should look into the flights, since they might be Overnight flights, and in that case, your kids will sleep. I traveled with my son when he was 18months old, he was a "lap child" and luckily on United, we were able to upgrade to Economy Plus where there was TONS of room. It was an overnight flight, and he was OUT before take off, slept the ENTIRE 6hr flight. Only woke up 1 time to change his diaper, than went back to sleep...

Renting a car is a good and bad?! Depends how much it is. Do you have relatives that can assist you once you have landed in Germany?! I would def bring a side by side stroller. (such as the Combi one, because it has a strap to carry,and you can keep the kiddos inside until you gate-check it prior to getting on the plane) Amazon.com is having a pretty decent sale on that too, with FREE shipping! :). You can even use the radian's strap to put on the handle and hang the car seats, OR do what a lof of people do, put 2 in the stroller and make older child walk. OR you can even get a cheap luggage cart, and strap both on with a bungee cord. However, I have the GOGO KIZ and it IS expensive, but WELL WELL worth it. I also got mine for cheaper on ebay for only $50. If you got 2, your kids can STAY inside their seats in the airport, and u can push them around, and check the stroller for when you arrive. This is what I would suggest, since it's SO much easier, and than you will only have to juggle holding the handals, along with carrying your purse, and a bag (or 2) of clothes, etc. for them. OR make them wear child sized backpacks with their belongings in them to keep them busy...

I honestly think that depending what airport you're leaving from, it will most likely be an Overnight, for at least 1 of the flights... OR try to check around and look for the OVN flights... they're much easier...

Good luck! :)

TXAggieTech

We have flown to Berlin with one and two kids. First time they were the same ages as your 2 but there were 3 adults. You could do both of them, but I would almost just take the older one just for it to be special time.

Depending on who you fly with you may be given trouble using your American seats within the EU. I have not been stopped with a Britax but my inlaws have with other brands of seats. I think the FAs just assumed that the Britax was an EU version. We love using the gogokidz with the MA.

We rarely drive ourselves in Germany, usually walk and use mass transit. We do use taxis and they have all had either built in boosters or ones in the back. I have had my seats with us all but one ride. Most of the drivers really wanted to put my seats in for me. You will probably run into non-locking seat belts so be prepared to use a seat with lock offs or bring a locking clip.

As far as leaving one kid home not being fair. Is this a once in a life time trip? If so then maybe I'd try to bring both. Otherwise she's 2. Most likely she'll have plenty of opportunities to travel in the next 80-90 years.

gsdguenter

Lol, it's hardly a once in a lifetime trip. Just going to visit friends where i used to live. Now that I think about it I will probably just take DD1.

We are actually visiting 1.5 hr NE of Berlin in the boonies, so I'll probably do the car. Not sure though.

Okay, so now do I bring a seat or RSTV?

I was also entraining the idea of getting a seat there and bringing it home. A cool booster to use in 1 yr, or have an MT shipped to my friend's house and taking that home.

Oh the choices!

DaniChildcare

If you are considering bringing a seat home, i would probably go with the RSTV instead and not bring a seat with you.

I also would only bring DD1. I think traveling is important for people in general, but if money is a concern, i wouldn't bring DD2. At 2, she's not going to take away anything from the experience. Your almost 4 year old would definitely benefit more from the trip (and probably enjoy herself more) than your barely 2yo would.

mykidsmylife

Doesn't the rstv have to use a top tether? You will be hard pressed to find a car with one. Some high end cars have them but not many. I personally love britax seats bc of the built in lock offs. They come in handy in the German cars with no lock offs.
Oh and I fly with 3 alone so you could handle the 2.

Eclipsepearl

I also don't have problems with handling three closely spaced children on transatlantics (California so 11 1/2 hours) to and from Germany. But I do it so that the grandparents can see them and I go for at least 2 weeks. The way over is a night flight and the way back is daytime.

For a short trip like this, if you have somewhere your DD2 can stay where she'll be happy and well taken-care of, I would do that. Two year olds can be a handful, especially in a large city. I've taken mine as toddlers to several large European cities (Paris, London, Barcelona, Rome). The younger one with diapers and naps could keep you from really spending time with your friends and getting out. The deal-breaker would be if someone reliable can watch her. I don't have that luxury but would take advantage if I did!

Forget the Mommy guilt. Do NOT think you have to have her glued to you every minute! Also, it would depend on your friends. If they have toddlers and you aren't planning a lot of sightseeing, or if you think they'll offer to watch her there, you could factor that into your decision.

I do NOT recommend a side-by-side stroller is you bring both girls. The sidewalks are just too narrow and they're rarely used.

I use a metal luggage cart, which does exactly what a Gogokidz does, for much less money. The Gogo's are mainly plastic (and breakages are common) but you can get a metal luggage cart, which folds nicely and then it's useful for other purposes. It's also easier to take the car seat on and off of the metal luggage cart. I've had mine for over 20 years and yes, my children could ride in them! Definitely a good purchase, and not just for flying and car seats.

But you might want to get the RSTV and yes, cars in Germany have shoulder straps (the RSTV requires either). Slightly less safe on the plane but she'll wear the seat belt correctly. Do what you're comfortable doing.

gsdguenter

DH can't go because he can't get the time off work so I am not at all concerned about leaving DD2 at home. MY mom watches the kids when we are at work, and she and my dad will be coming home from Germany a few days before I leave, so everything works out fine there.

I've decided to rent a car and only bring DD1.

So far the cheapest tickets I can find are Lufthansa and Swiss Air. Any one have experience flying them with car seats? I haven't been back to Germany since I had kids so this is a totally new experience for me figuring out the car seat situation.

Would either of those airlines let me bring an RNXT or any American seat for that matter? Or, will it have to be an EU approved seat (which I might buy there anyway).

And, would I have trouble at customs on the way home coming in with an EU seat?

Thanks!

gsdguenter

Has anyone ever flown with an MT? I will most likely be flying Lufthansa.

I don't know why I'm having so much trouble deciding what to do. I really need to stop obsessing over this . . .

Now I've got it down to bringing either the CA with me, buying a Scenera, or flying over with nothing/RSTV/CARES and bringing an MT home with me.

Help, please. Thanks.

mykidsmylife

I have only flown Lufthansa. They do not allow rear-facing seats but I have had no issues with a FF seat but they will check for the airline approved sticker so remember that before installing a seat.
I have never seen an MT IRL and I am not sure about using it on a plane, but um I would be pretty dang tempted to go that route. LOL.

TXAggieTech

If you have a choice between Luftansa and Swiss Air I would pick Swiss Air every time. I'm trying to remember on seats, we usually ff'd on the flights with a Marathon so I'm guessing they assumed it was a EU seat.

newyorkDOC

If you bring home the MT just carry it and no one will even ask you at customs. They probably won't even ask you if it's still in the box! It's a car seat and IME US airports are used to seeing them in boxes. We fly Italy-NY at least twice a year and have never had issues flying back and forth with either US or EU seats.

At 4yo I would be more inclined to go with a RSTV and bring home the MT honestly. I travel with CARES at 2yo just bc it makes it so much easier at the airport (we do all public transport to and from airport in the EU then my parents have a US seat installed in their car to pick us up from the airport).

gsdguenter

Thanks for the responses. I am really leaning towards the RSVT and MT route. I will try to book Swiss Air. I am looking for the cheapest prices, especially if I am buying another MT :whistle: But, if Lufthansa and Swiss Air are close in price I'll go with Swiss Air.

I would be sooooo giddy if I got a cowmoo MT to match my other black MT :love::love::love:

Eclipsepearl

Since Lufthansa for sure accepts American seats, and I can't say for Swiss, going with LH might be a wiser idea. I've flown LH many times with American car seats and only once was it taken away (and only because they claimed they couldn't see the sticker grrrrr!)

Also, connecting through Frankfurt is MUCH smarter than Zurich. You're really adding flight time with Swiss since it's south and Berlin is north. Logically, and I have not looked at their schedules, if you are late, there would be more Berlin flights out of Frankfurt than out of Zurich.

I have looked into Swiss Air, for us, that would be out of Basel but LH beats their price every time. That, combined with the fact I could use my car seat, meant a lot of flying LH/UA.

Check whether both/either accept CARES if you decide to do that.

You'll miss your little one but it wont do any damage and I think you'll get more out of your trip with just the older child. I had to leave my baby 48 hours a time, 3 times a month from when he was 7 months old for work and it really went well.

gsdguenter

I just went on the Swiss Air website and Lufthansa and Swiss Air is cheaper and shorter time :confused: I thought it would be the other way around too.

My biggest concern is buying an MT and having it taken away. I don't see any airline sticker on my current one, but it does have an EU type sticker.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC