Insurance car seat replacement + unoccupied seats

TheQueenMother

The other driver's insuance is State Farm. They have accepted full liability with my insurance company but are really dragging their heels with regard to paying off the suburban and car seats. The guy dh spoke to yesterday said that we could order seats and once we gave them a reciept, they could get us a check for the seats. Seat shopping online for the best deals in the color of seats I had sums up to $495 before paying tax. However, ds1's radian xt was unoccupied during the crash. Crash forces broke the seat. I am afraid when insurance sees that this seat is nearly $300 they will recuse to pAY on the basis that the seat was unoccupied. Not getting a radian is not an option as space is an issue.
Has anyone been successful getting insurance to replace an unoccupied seat? Can we get them to pay for the seats we had, then shop?

ADS

clmchrissy

State Farm can be difficult to work with, but I don't think you will have any issues since the vehicle was a total loss. Insurance companies don't like to replace unoccupied seats in minor losses.

Louisa

CPST Instructor
I believe state farm was what the DD that hit us had, we went thought our company and they went after him, replacing all 8 seats, 4 unoccupied to the tune of like $1700 it was nuts!
we also emailed them NHTSA and manufacturer info, a letter explaining my credentials and why the sears could not be reused and links to the seats and totals (with tax) and they cut us a check
I was sure it would be an ordeal but it wasn't
our company was USAA

If you want a copy of the letter i can send it to you

Last edited:

Cindy&Connor

I guess this is one of those ymmv situations. My mom was rear ended 3 years ago by someone with State Farm. Ds was in the car with her so his seat was occupied but they didn't give us any problems. In fact they told me it was fine to replace my Triumph with a Regent (I asked). Then they paid for the Regent plus shipping (didn't expect that).:thumbsup:

Emi's Mommy

My insurer(who is a public one through) had no problems replacing my unnoccupied seat. They told me to buy a new one and then bring the reciept and the crashed seat to my adjuster and they would mail me a cheque.

NannyMom

If the car was totaled, they can't expect you to reuse a carseat. If they balk, point them to NHTSA. If you don't have the money for new seats, tell them, give the the links and ask for the money up front.

menfusse

Yeah, you may have to dig your heels in, but I think will replace all. If you can't buy them up front, tell them that and make them cut you a check before hand. I didn't deal with State Farm, but with Nationwide. They suggested I buy a new seat first and they would reimburse. I said there was no way I could do that, and I called daily to find out the progress. They tried to give me the run around, but finally they had me email pics with serial#'s, and I took a pic of the page in the manual that discussed replacement after an accident. They got back to me and had done their own research for best pricing and cut me a check. But, I did have to call daily to stay onto them about it. I'm not sure about State Farm, but with Nationwide, two different departments handled the car and the seat replacement.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC