OMG! Jackson in Regent!

arly1983

I think my desision to trade the radian for the 2nd regent was a really good choice as:
a. I need a seat that go into a variety of vehicles
b. I do not need to do a 3 across
c. GOSH, HE IS GETTING SO FREAKEN TALL:eek:

When we first tried Radian in late Jan he was about .5 under second from top slots. Now he is about 1 above second from top slots.

When we first tried the regent in late Jan he was a smidge above the bottom slots. Now is just a smidge below the second from the bottom slots.

He has sustained a steady rate of growth well above the 100th % for height and shows no signs of slowing down at 28 months.

(I am so sad the first thought that pops in my mind is how I am going to handle him when he gets so big and if he is still having rages, right now he calms instantly if I get him in a "bear hug" but I have to fight him to get him into the hug)

Late Jan: Regent & Radian

Picture132.jpg
Picture105.jpg

Now: Regent

Picture200.jpg

ADS

JaRylan

He is a big, handsome guy. I know how you feel when you wonder how you are going to handle him as he gets older, Rylan's size worries me too.

scatterbunny

He's adorable! :) I moved Hayley to a Regent at 2 years, 8 months and she fit it the same way (just under the second-from-bottom slots). It's amazing that Jackson's torso has grown 1.5 inches in only a few months, wow! :eek:

I hear you on the rages. They are hard to deal with. Hayley's have lessened, but she still has them (I'm noticing it's more when she's eaten/drank things with artificial colors/flavors/HFCS, but there isn't always an indicator or warning). Hugging her or trying to restrain her does nothing but escalate things. She kicks the walls, her door, hits things (us, even), when she's raging (she doesn't behave this way unless she's in complete meltdown mode). It's awful. She's huge and strong, so dealing with her when she's like this is hard.

musicmaj

Wow! He did grow a lot.

I hear you on the rages too. My ds is terrible at times and he is so big and strong. I have to restrain him sometimes so that he won't hurt himself or others around him. He is almost 50lbs and I feel like I need to workout just so that I can still carry him if needed. His occupational therapist showed me a way to restrain him that I should be able to do even when he gets bigger. (I hope he stops the tantrums by then though.) You can not reason with an autistic child at all.

arly1983

I know exactly what you mean, Jenny...

He is so big for his age so people think he is older. Then he has these meltdowns and everyone looks at me like, shouldn't he be punished for that?! At first I tried to explain to everyone but most people just don;'t get it...

We actually have started taking to him more to just controled enviroments, church, sunday school, friends homes, places where people know about his SID and ASD.

LOL..except Walmart and the Mall. For some reason he loves both as long as a stranger doesn't try to touch him. We never get toys or food while we are there so that can't be the reason. I think it has something to do with the buggy/stroller sensation...

It is strange how the "bear hug" works. Jackson "seeks" boundaries. He likes to know where they are. He loves his carseat and his booster seat and his tent. Our OT said to try the hug that actually being in an inclosed space might make him calm down. And it works like a light switch. Usually, I just try to take him to the floor and wrap my arms around him there and instantly he stops struggling though ususally he keeps crying. He doesn't like to lose control. The only problem is in public I can't "take him down".

We are hoping as his communication level goes up, his rages will go down.

(By the way, two AWESOME books about coping are The Out-of-Sync Child and The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun)

MySillyKids

Wow. my 14 month old has Sensory Proscessing disorder, and I have read both out of sync books, however they dont help me because he's tooo young. He's getting several therapies, OT included. our OT has told us about a 'womb like' product called Body sox.

http://www.southpawenterprises.com/store/body-sox,Product.asp

She wants me to get one for my DS, and i'll have to CL some things to be able to afford it. She said it would help him out a TON! We also started weighting him down, since he has gravity issues also.

Interesting that there are several Sensory kids on here!

scatterbunny

Hayley hasn't actually been diagnosed with anything. When I bring up my concerns to the doctors we see (at the local health department, most of the time it's a different doctor because they have such high turnover) they all brush off my concerns. They just can't believe things are as difficult as I say they are, when she behaves like an angel at the office. :rolleyes: That's because she's out of her element around other adults, and she becomes mute and clings to me and seems so shy and quiet. They can't believe she freaks out like she does.

I tried talking to someone about her sensory issues with food the other day at a big health fair, they told me she's just a picky kid and that she'll grow out of it. But I know her issues are with food textures and her pickiness relates to how the food feels in her mouth or how tough it is to chew. She's old enough to explain this to me, in kid-terms. But we get brushed off.

At this same health fair though, based on my answers to an emotional/behavioral questionnaire, they did recommend an ADHD evaluation, but not from any local doctors. We have to figure out what insurance covers and take her to a clinic that specializes in ADHD (I'm glad they said this, because I have lost faith in the local doctors).

MySillyKids

Jenny, why dont you try your local Early intervention program. They can come out and at LEAST do a 'evaluation' on her, and they can recommend things from there, they will probally be able to help you out with your concerns, and its FREE!!!

(yes she is older, but she may still be evaluated)

scatterbunny

I called Early Intervention last year and they said before they came out to the house they needed to do a "phone questionnaire" to determine if it was worth the trip out. Apparently it wasn't. They said she was fine, did not meet their standards for intervention. :( She did give me the name of a local OT, but without a referral from a doctor/diagnosis, insurance won't pay for anything OT-related.

arly1983

Yes, Jenny, thats what I did...

In Georgia its call "Babies Can't Wait" and they came to my house and did the evaluation...

At the very least, the Early Intervention in your area could refer you to someone who could help....

I know exactly what you mean about the angel act...In unfamiliar places, Jackson shuts down. He is very quiet and still and will not look anyone in the eyes.

arly1983

Well, thats just darn odd...

If it helps, the books I posted have actually suggested the sames things the OT has suggested so far....

MySillyKids

Cool eh?

Sensory is a WHOLE new world for me, and its SOOO hard to think that he doesnt 'get it'

I like that bear hugs vest, i just wish i could FIND this stuff locally to check it out before i start spending billions on stuff lol.

MySillyKids

Have you tried to see about getting a free OT eval?

all of our Early intervention Evals were free, and then they charged to take us on. Our insurance pays for all of the EI, and EI just pays for the 10% that we would normally have to pay for.

scatterbunny

That vest looks cool! We've thought about making Hayley a weighted vest or weighted blanket, I think she would find it soothing. I know I have sensory issues, too, and I can't sleep unless I have HEAVY covers over me. Even if it's hot out, I'll open windows, turn the fan on and still use the heavy blankets.

MySillyKids

That vest looks cool! We've thought about making Hayley a weighted vest or weighted blanket, I think she would find it soothing. I know I have sensory issues, too, and I can't sleep unless I have HEAVY covers over me. Even if it's hot out, I'll open windows, turn the fan on and still use the heavy blankets.

I think EVERYONE has some kind of sensory issue. obviously some are worse than others! I can only sleep if my feet are covered. and it HAS to be with the covers, i cant do socks, and sleep.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC