Wouldn't it be cool if...

mamakc

car seats had retractable harnesses, the way seat belts do? If they were always pulling tight and then locked when you click the buckle in, that would help chronic loose-harnessers. :) That would be awesome. What awesome features do you wish all car seats had?

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
The first Fisher Price seats had them. Well, I remember that the T-sheild convertible did. My nearly 21 yr old neice had one that was then used by her brother who is almost 18 now. It was retired after them. Not sure where it is now.

Susan

I have often thought of that... I believe it came to me in a car seat dream, that I had one with a retractable harness like a seatbelt...;)

leighi123

But then what happens when the kid leans forward? If it can re-losen then some kids would just pull the straps and climb out...

susanx4

in highschool the little boys i watched had the fisherprice t-shields that had the retract and lock harness!

mamakc

But then what happens when the kid leans forward? If it can re-losen then some kids would just pull the straps and climb out...

I was thinking it would automatically lock when buckled. That would make it a hassle to leave it loose, you'd have to make a real effort to make it loose because you'd have to hold the buckle w/ one hand, click it in with the other, and simultaneously pull the harness out with a third hand that no one has. ;)

tjham

What awesome features do you wish all car seats had?

Removable bases to give them a lower profile when the kid gets older and taller.

Decent cupholders (like the Nautilus) on BOTH sides.

Non-twisty straps.

Velcro to hold the straps back when needed.

Alligator Latch clips.

Emi's Mommy

A crotch strap that stands straight up when not in use, or at least doesn't flop backwards. Even when I leave mine forward it seems to never stay that way when I'm putting DD in her seat. Such a pain trying to pull it out from under her bum every.single.time.

WhatAboutPuppy

Emi's Mommy said:
A crotch strap that stands straight up when not in use, or at least doesn't flop backwards. Even when I leave mine forward it seems to never stay that way when I'm putting DD in her seat. Such a pain trying to pull it out from under her bum every.single.time.

There was a seat with that. The rubber around it was bumpy and gray. Lol that's all I remember.

DaniChildcare

Honestly, and truly this will never happen, and is way off in the "Jetsons" dream land LOL ... but, i wish that cars came with universal bases installed under the seat upholstery, so that you could fold back the seat fabric (or a plug in the seat of something) and be able to attach ANY car seat to it (infant, toddler, and booster)

I am seriously tired of unattaching, and reattaching seats and bases in and out of my car. I want something i can plop in and be done with!

Oh... and in reality, my dream seat has already come true. I've wished for YEARS that toddler seats would have bases (and the smartseat now has one!)

Although i also wish for a crotch strap that stands straight up ... i agree, no matter how you leave it, it always falls toward the seat back, and you have to dig it out!

dneul

A piece of velco on the cover and the other end of velcro on the crotch strap would be awesome... Kinda like what Britax does with the straps.

cookie123

I loved the FP T shield seat. It was a dream because of the retractible harness and that kiddo could easily lock themselves in. My 24 yo had one.:love: Sadly it was recalled and t shields turned out not to be the best option.

jubgulia

I love the way the crotch pad works on DS3's Maxi-Cosi Cabrio. The pad has a little loop at the end that then hooks over the edge of the harness adjuster. With that and the hooks on the sides to keep the harness out of the way, it is totally ideal. This isn't his seat, but it kinda shows what I'm talking about.

d6245804.jpg

d6245800.jpg

Kat_Momof3

I still wonder what possessed evenflo to put the knobs down at the bottom... I always thought it would be cool if they were on the side of the seat (similar to the knobs on boulevards for adjusting harness height)... they could adjust height AND ratchet tightness...

mommyfrog

A piece of velco on the cover and the other end of velcro on the crotch strap would be awesome... Kinda like what Britax does with the straps.

Couldn't we do that by putting one half on the buckle button (like when people put the scratchy part on to keep kids from unbuckling) then attach the other kind of velcro on the cover towards the front so you could stick the buckle to it?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC